christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Hi- new to this site as of today and I have a few concerns. I have a 9 week old bulldog that I fear is already showing signs of aggression. He is constantly trying to bite at feet, hands, and clothing. I have tried the "yelping" thing- he releases but then lunges back at me. Tried ignoring him- doesn't work. Try giving him a toy- works occasionally. He does not respond to anything what so ever...I call his name and he ignores me, ask him to come and ignores me. (Unless I have a treat of course). I have tried to do all disciplining in a calm matter but he just gets mad at me wen I correct him. He barks and growls and just won't give up. He gets exercise & all the love in the world (when he allows it). I know it's early, but I am quite concerned with his behavior. He doesn't seem to be the most "loving" dog either...typically when he wants to sleep he will just go across the room and away from anyone.Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The biting thing is 100% normal...at least it was for Bella. I couldn't even hold her because she wanted to bite everything nonstop. She bit everything!

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I'm far from an expert. Bella has done everything your puppy is doing and she's a very sweet dog now, at 6 months old.

She still ignores me occassionally, unless I have something to put in her mouth. :yes:

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
It sounds like normal puppy behavior to me. He may just be teething. Have you tried giving him frozen toys to chew on? That helps with teething. I know when Jovi was teething she would chew on anything in sight and she wouldn't care WHO she is biting! And now she is the most loving dog. Give it time, you will get there. I don't think it's aggression but any time he starts to bite just give a firm NO and then throw a toy in his mouth. And keep doing it until he stops and just ends up chewing the toy.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi- new to this site as of today and I have a few concerns. I have a 9 week old bulldog that I fear is already showing signs of aggression. He is constantly trying to bite at feet, hands, and clothing. I have tried the "yelping" thing- he releases but then lunges back at me. Tried ignoring him- doesn't work. Try giving him a toy- works occasionally. He does not respond to anything what so ever...I call his name and he ignores me, ask him to come and ignores me. (Unless I have a treat of course). I have tried to do all disciplining in a calm matter but he just gets mad at me wen I correct him. He barks and growls and just won't give up. He gets exercise & all the love in the world (when he allows it). I know it's early, but I am quite concerned with his behavior. He doesn't seem to be the most "loving" dog either...typically when he wants to sleep he will just go across the room and away from anyone.Any thoughts?? Thanks!

At that age - that is not aggression. That is normal puppy behavior, may be teething as well. You need to start implementing training with him now. Yelping won't help, he may take that as a sign that you are playing with him. Instead try firmly telling him no, picking him up & crating him. You will need to be very consistent. So if that means crating him 15 times in a day - do it. He will eventually get the point that when he nips, he's gets put up for a bit - like a time out. Please know that he is not being aggressive at all (this is 100% normal for pups).... start now while he's young. Reward good behavior with small treats. Be firm, and stern when correcting. Calm matter may not work for him...show him you are alpha, and you are in charge. It takes work early on, but the benefit from it will be life-long! Good Luck! Also, keep in mind our breed is very stubborn, so he may not pick up too quickly, keep on, don't give up - it will come.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
At that age - that is not aggression. That is normal puppy behavior, may be teething as well. You need to start implementing training with him now. Yelping won't help, he may take that as a sign that you are playing with him. Instead try firmly telling him no, picking him up & crating him. You will need to be very consistent. So if that means crating him 15 times in a day - do it. He will eventually get the point that when he nips, he's gets put up for a bit - like a time out. Please know that he is not being aggressive at all (this is 100% normal for pups).... start now while he's young. Reward good behavior with small treats. Be firm, and stern when correcting. Calm matter may not work for him...show him you are alpha, and you are in charge. It takes work early on, but the benefit from it will be life-long! Good Luck! Also, keep in mind our breed is very stubborn, so he may not pick up too quickly, keep on, don't give up - it will come.

:goodpost:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@christaleigh123 I have had many,many puppies in my lifetime-raised them all, until they passed, either from old age,or incurable illness. The "bitetenest"(if that is a word)
pups I have ever had are the English Bulldogs. Possibly due to their original use in the past-I don't know. What I do know is that it takes a lot of patience, and re-direction, such as saying "NO bite!-here bite this" and put a nylabone,or some type of toy in their mouth(one they can't swallow) over and over. Some toys are the type you can freeze and give them.This baby is only 9 weeks old. He may be showing "agression" in a puppy way-but it is up to you to teach him that it is not acceptable with you. If he were with his littermates, that is how he would play-and learn. This will continue, until he gets his second teeth,but as you teach him-it will
slow down and eventually stop. If you do not put the time and patience in you WILL have a monster on your hands-literally.Constant re-direction to a toy,if he gets overtired, put him in his crate for a nap,if he potties outside-give a treat. Treat rewards work better with bullies than any other pups! Spanking,or screaming surely does not work. Patience, patience and more patience and redirection is the answer. It will take time and work, but in the end(as he grows out of it) it will be well worth it!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I am so slow that by the time I type-you've already gotten the advice. It is your choice, but mine sleep in their crates at night-or when I had to leave in day(when they were pups) so I never used their crate as punishment. Just my choice.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well, I am so slow that by the time I type-you've already gotten the advice. It is your choice, but mine sleep in their crates at night-or when I had to leave in day(when they were pups) so I never used their crate as punishment. Just my choice.

Good point on crates. I don't crate Tyson when I leave so you are right, it depends on how you use the crate. I wouldn't want him to see it as a bad thing if he sleeps there :)

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
frank was a good puppy but not very 'loving' for about the first 7 months. now he is my little cuddler, my 40 lb lap dog. everyone here has GREAT advice and like they said it's all normal puppy behavior, just have to get through those pesky puppy/teenage behaviors :)

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky

Thank you for addressing that. Obviously different things work for different people, but I have been avoiding using the crate as punishment...he has never barked or whined in since we got him and he is only crated at night time and when I'm gone. I'd hate to go backwards and have to deal with that! Definitely going to just use it for those 2 reasons I think.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
The crate doesn't have to be used as a punishment. Just keep in mind that puppies are just like babies. They get tired and cranky also. I used to put Brutus in his crate when he got completely out of control. I never yelled at him or anything like that, I just simply gave him a time out and it would only be for a few minutes. Most of the time he fell asleep and took a much needed undisturbed nap, and woke up like a new pup!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I also think the behavior is just normal bully puppy behavior. Winnie was a terrible biter and nothing I did helped until I got a little spray bottle of water and sprayed her when she bit us and told her "no bite!" Sometimes she would bark at me for spraying her, but it slowed her down a lot. After a while, I could just pick up the water bottle and she would quit biting. She is the sweetest, most affectionate girl now--I never would have believed it then! Hang in there!

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Just a puppy being a puppy and this phase will pass. Just be consistent and reward positive behaviors. A firm no and distraction work wonders.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
The crate doesn't have to be used as a punishment. Just keep in mind that puppies are just like babies. They get tired and cranky also. I used to put Brutus in his crate when he got completely out of control. I never yelled at him or anything like that, I just simply gave him a time out and it would only be for a few minutes. Most of the time he fell asleep and took a much needed undisturbed nap, and woke up like a new pup!

I did this also. crate is never punishment for frank, just his safe relaxing space. when he gets too hyped up, in the crate he goes for a little nap. it rarely happens these days and now the crate is just for when we're gone/nighttime. he'll go in it when he feels overwhelmed or he's really tired from daycare. He'll stand in the kitchen for a while staring at me like 'lady, are you going to put me to bed??!?' and then just walks into it by himself, lays down and heaves a big sigh. I'm sure he would close the door in my face if he could. so sassy!

OP
C

christaleigh123

Apr 8, 2015
MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spanky
Thank you all SO much for your input! Definitely helped to change my mindset...I appreciate it greatly!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.