Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 27

Thread: Aggressive puppy?

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Christa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spanky
    Likes (Received)
    21

    Default Aggressive puppy?

    Hi- new to this site as of today and I have a few concerns. I have a 9 week old bulldog that I fear is already showing signs of aggression. He is constantly trying to bite at feet, hands, and clothing. I have tried the "yelping" thing- he releases but then lunges back at me. Tried ignoring him- doesn't work. Try giving him a toy- works occasionally. He does not respond to anything what so ever...I call his name and he ignores me, ask him to come and ignores me. (Unless I have a treat of course). I have tried to do all disciplining in a calm matter but he just gets mad at me wen I correct him. He barks and growls and just won't give up. He gets exercise & all the love in the world (when he allows it). I know it's early, but I am quite concerned with his behavior. He doesn't seem to be the most "loving" dog either...typically when he wants to sleep he will just go across the room and away from anyone.Any thoughts?? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,844
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)
    1147

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    The biting thing is 100% normal...at least it was for Bella. I couldn't even hold her because she wanted to bite everything nonstop. She bit everything!

    I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I'm far from an expert. Bella has done everything your puppy is doing and she's a very sweet dog now, at 6 months old.

    She still ignores me occassionally, unless I have something to put in her mouth.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}



    IG: @bellatheenglishbully

  3. Likes Donnam liked this post
  4. #3
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    xxaprilrose's Avatar
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    905
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)
    52

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    It sounds like normal puppy behavior to me. He may just be teething. Have you tried giving him frozen toys to chew on? That helps with teething. I know when Jovi was teething she would chew on anything in sight and she wouldn't care WHO she is biting! And now she is the most loving dog. Give it time, you will get there. I don't think it's aggression but any time he starts to bite just give a firm NO and then throw a toy in his mouth. And keep doing it until he stops and just ends up chewing the toy.


  5. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    Quote Originally Posted by christaleigh123 View Post
    Hi- new to this site as of today and I have a few concerns. I have a 9 week old bulldog that I fear is already showing signs of aggression. He is constantly trying to bite at feet, hands, and clothing. I have tried the "yelping" thing- he releases but then lunges back at me. Tried ignoring him- doesn't work. Try giving him a toy- works occasionally. He does not respond to anything what so ever...I call his name and he ignores me, ask him to come and ignores me. (Unless I have a treat of course). I have tried to do all disciplining in a calm matter but he just gets mad at me wen I correct him. He barks and growls and just won't give up. He gets exercise & all the love in the world (when he allows it). I know it's early, but I am quite concerned with his behavior. He doesn't seem to be the most "loving" dog either...typically when he wants to sleep he will just go across the room and away from anyone.Any thoughts?? Thanks!

    At that age - that is not aggression. That is normal puppy behavior, may be teething as well. You need to start implementing training with him now. Yelping won't help, he may take that as a sign that you are playing with him. Instead try firmly telling him no, picking him up & crating him. You will need to be very consistent. So if that means crating him 15 times in a day - do it. He will eventually get the point that when he nips, he's gets put up for a bit - like a time out. Please know that he is not being aggressive at all (this is 100% normal for pups).... start now while he's young. Reward good behavior with small treats. Be firm, and stern when correcting. Calm matter may not work for him...show him you are alpha, and you are in charge. It takes work early on, but the benefit from it will be life-long! Good Luck! Also, keep in mind our breed is very stubborn, so he may not pick up too quickly, keep on, don't give up - it will come.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  6. Likes ddnene, Manydogs, Vader The Bully liked this post
  7. #5
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    At that age - that is not aggression. That is normal puppy behavior, may be teething as well. You need to start implementing training with him now. Yelping won't help, he may take that as a sign that you are playing with him. Instead try firmly telling him no, picking him up & crating him. You will need to be very consistent. So if that means crating him 15 times in a day - do it. He will eventually get the point that when he nips, he's gets put up for a bit - like a time out. Please know that he is not being aggressive at all (this is 100% normal for pups).... start now while he's young. Reward good behavior with small treats. Be firm, and stern when correcting. Calm matter may not work for him...show him you are alpha, and you are in charge. It takes work early on, but the benefit from it will be life-long! Good Luck! Also, keep in mind our breed is very stubborn, so he may not pick up too quickly, keep on, don't give up - it will come.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  8. #6
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,638
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6661

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    @christaleigh123 I have had many,many puppies in my lifetime-raised them all, until they passed, either from old age,or incurable illness. The "bitetenest"(if that is a word)
    pups I have ever had are the English Bulldogs. Possibly due to their original use in the past-I don't know. What I do know is that it takes a lot of patience, and re-direction, such as saying "NO bite!-here bite this" and put a nylabone,or some type of toy in their mouth(one they can't swallow) over and over. Some toys are the type you can freeze and give them.This baby is only 9 weeks old. He may be showing "agression" in a puppy way-but it is up to you to teach him that it is not acceptable with you. If he were with his littermates, that is how he would play-and learn. This will continue, until he gets his second teeth,but as you teach him-it will
    slow down and eventually stop. If you do not put the time and patience in you WILL have a monster on your hands-literally.Constant re-direction to a toy,if he gets overtired, put him in his crate for a nap,if he potties outside-give a treat. Treat rewards work better with bullies than any other pups! Spanking,or screaming surely does not work. Patience, patience and more patience and redirection is the answer. It will take time and work, but in the end(as he grows out of it) it will be well worth it!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  9. #7
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,638
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6661

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    Well, I am so slow that by the time I type-you've already gotten the advice. It is your choice, but mine sleep in their crates at night-or when I had to leave in day(when they were pups) so I never used their crate as punishment. Just my choice.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  10. Likes TyTysmom, Bella and Dozers Dad liked this post
  11. #8
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Well, I am so slow that by the time I type-you've already gotten the advice. It is your choice, but mine sleep in their crates at night-or when I had to leave in day(when they were pups) so I never used their crate as punishment. Just my choice.

    Good point on crates. I don't crate Tyson when I leave so you are right, it depends on how you use the crate. I wouldn't want him to see it as a bad thing if he sleeps there

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  12. Likes Manydogs liked this post
  13. #9
    Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    423
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)
    330

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    frank was a good puppy but not very 'loving' for about the first 7 months. now he is my little cuddler, my 40 lb lap dog. everyone here has GREAT advice and like they said it's all normal puppy behavior, just have to get through those pesky puppy/teenage behaviors


  14. #10
    Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Christa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spanky
    Likes (Received)
    21

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Well, I am so slow that by the time I type-you've already gotten the advice. It is your choice, but mine sleep in their crates at night-or when I had to leave in day(when they were pups) so I never used their crate as punishment. Just my choice.
    Thank you for addressing that. Obviously different things work for different people, but I have been avoiding using the crate as punishment...he has never barked or whined in since we got him and he is only crated at night time and when I'm gone. I'd hate to go backwards and have to deal with that! Definitely going to just use it for those 2 reasons I think.

  15. Likes Manydogs, Bella and Dozers Dad liked this post
  16. #11
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    brutus77's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    6,959
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)
    2789

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    The crate doesn't have to be used as a punishment. Just keep in mind that puppies are just like babies. They get tired and cranky also. I used to put Brutus in his crate when he got completely out of control. I never yelled at him or anything like that, I just simply gave him a time out and it would only be for a few minutes. Most of the time he fell asleep and took a much needed undisturbed nap, and woke up like a new pup!
    My smooshy face boy!

  17. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
  18. #12
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

    I also think the behavior is just normal bully puppy behavior. Winnie was a terrible biter and nothing I did helped until I got a little spray bottle of water and sprayed her when she bit us and told her "no bite!" Sometimes she would bark at me for spraying her, but it slowed her down a lot. After a while, I could just pick up the water bottle and she would quit biting. She is the sweetest, most affectionate girl now--I never would have believed it then! Hang in there!

  19. Likes Cali Doll liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •