Real Name
    Kelly
    Country
    us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Aggressive puppy?

Just a puppy being a puppy and this phase will pass. Just be consistent and reward positive behaviors. A firm no and distraction work wonders.
    Happiness is looking at your dogs face...and forgetting all your problems

Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    The crate doesn't have to be used as a punishment. Just keep in mind that puppies are just like babies. They get tired and cranky also. I used to put Brutus in his crate when he got completely out of control. I never yelled at him or anything like that, I just simply gave him a time out and it would only be for a few minutes. Most of the time he fell asleep and took a much needed undisturbed nap, and woke up like a new pup!
    I did this also. crate is never punishment for frank, just his safe relaxing space. when he gets too hyped up, in the crate he goes for a little nap. it rarely happens these days and now the crate is just for when we're gone/nighttime. he'll go in it when he feels overwhelmed or he's really tired from daycare. He'll stand in the kitchen for a while staring at me like 'lady, are you going to put me to bed??!?' and then just walks into it by himself, lays down and heaves a big sigh. I'm sure he would close the door in my face if he could. so sassy!

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Christa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spanky
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all SO much for your input! Definitely helped to change my mindset...I appreciate it greatly!

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Christa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spanky
    Likes (Received)

So you're telling me it's normal for him to clamp onto my clothes extremely hard and pull and growl and not let go? uggggghhh. He was just being so good- now another spurt of chaos that cannot be controlled or redirected.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Aggressive puppy?

Yes that is absolutely normal and his way of being playful... Welcome to the bulldog life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by christaleigh123 View Post
    So you're telling me it's normal for him to clamp onto my clothes extremely hard and pull and growl and not let go? uggggghhh. He was just being so good- now another spurt of chaos that cannot be controlled or redirected.

100% yes. It's just as normal as it was for Bella to clamp down on my arm extremely hard and pull.

I remember sitting on the couch watching a 9-week-old Bella growl, while she clawed and aggressively chewed her portable crate. She was like a little demon puppy.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

Real Name
    Brandi Salyer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penny, Angel, and Jackson
    Likes (Received)

Penny, now 5 months, usually has one outburst of insanity a day. She was just like your puppy when we got her, she's also deaf, so we did a lot of redirecting, finger shaking, and mean muggin' lol when she was little now she's a major cuddler, and loves to snuggle under the covers at night

Pooper scooper
    Real Name
    Christa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spanky
    Likes (Received)

Thanks all! Glad to be a part of this forum! I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way!

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Great Advice from everyone.

Please post pics of that Spanky ASAP.
    Hug your bully today

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by christaleigh123 View Post
    Ruckus used to grab onto the bottoms of pant legs when he was that age. I had to stop walking, remove him, and continue. It can be infuriating, but at 9 weeks old, he's like a 6 month old baby. They reach for anything they find interesting and since here puppies not humans they use their little sharky puppy teeth instead of chubby baby fingers. My little 9 month old niece will death grip my hair or my glasses because she thinks it's interesting -- it's the same situation. Babies are babies, human or dog.

He will eventually grow out of it. Puppies play rough and mouthy with their litter area and since they aren't around, he wants you to join in the fun. He'll also get cuddlier as he gets older and as you bond. Him going across the room to sleep could be because it's a cooler or quieter spot.

Good luck! Feel free to vent and ask for more advice, we all do it!

11. Likes Vader The Bully liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
    Likes (Received)

Also be aware that when your bully is older that it may sound like the most vicious dog ever when playing tug of war with a toy. Barley sounds like he is out to rip my hand off but would never bite anyone. I love it, but some people think it is frightening and i have read that it shocks some new owners and concerns them.

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wouldtick View Post
    Also be aware that when your bully is older that it may sound like the most vicious dog ever when playing tug of war with a toy. Barley sounds like he is out to rip my hand off but would never bite anyone. I love it, but some people think it is frightening and i have read that it shocks some new owners and concerns them.
    I totally agree. Ruckus sounds like he's a brute when we play tug, but he wouldn't hurt a fly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads