Manners with other dogs

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Norman is a very sociable pup and his eagerness to meet new dog friends has gotten him in trouble. Everytime norman sees another dog he gets all excited and starts heading towards him/her. He'll proceed to sticking his head right by their face and start sniffing them (all in good nature). Most dogs take this well and they get along but on occasion there will be other dogs (generally smaller dogs) that don't take the slobbery, heavy breathing faced pup too well. He's already been bit a couple of times because of this (minor cuts).

What's your recommendation on getting norman to be calm everytime he sees another dog? When he's on a leash and we hold him back he'll start whining and whimpering (really loud) when he sees other dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
have training treats in your pocket and make him go into a sit and stay. Treat him when he sits, and then treat again when he is calm and relaxed. Make sure you are calm and relaxed as well because he will react from you as well. I t will take some time but Norman will eventually get it.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus has always been extremely eager (and extremely sweet) to meet other dogs. He likes to get his sniff on and I've had the same issue where other dogs don't love it -- although lots do. I've also noticed some dogs dislike bulldogs or are afraid of them for whatever reason. You'll learn to read the other dogs body language.

I taught Ruckus to wait for the other dog and not to rush in. I did this with a very high value treat. I will also say it took a long time and it's not perfect still -- if he's really excited he'll do that bulldog gargle whine thing like it kills him not to be butt sniffing at that very moment. Get an awesome treat that Norman loves -- I've found beef liver or lung are big winners with Ruckus -- and use it only for rewarding good behavior on walks. When the other dog is coming instruct Norman to "wait" and give him treats for staying close to you. When you determine he can say hi tell him "ok" or "say hi" whatever command you like best. It takes patience but eventually he will wait on his own and not rush in. Sometimes Ruckus will even lay down and wait for the dog to come to him of he sees the dog is scared or nervous.

I also suggest checking out any local bulldog meetups. I've never seen a bulldog on bulldog fight at any of the meetups I take Ruckus to and it's really fun to be in a park full of bullies.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Ruckus has always been extremely eager (and extremely sweet) to meet other dogs. He likes to get his sniff on and I've had the same issue where other dogs don't love it -- although lots do. I've also noticed some dogs dislike bulldogs or are afraid of them for whatever reason. You'll learn to read the other dogs body language.

I taught Ruckus to wait for the other dog and not to rush in. I did this with a very high value treat. I will also say it took a long time and it's not perfect still -- if he's really excited he'll do that bulldog gargle whine thing like it kills him not to be butt sniffing at that very moment. Get an awesome treat that Norman loves -- I've found beef liver or lung are big winners with Ruckus -- and use it only for rewarding good behavior on walks. When the other dog is coming instruct Norman to "wait" and give him treats for staying close to you. When you determine he can say hi tell him "ok" or "say hi" whatever command you like best. It takes patience but eventually he will wait on his own and not rush in. Sometimes Ruckus will even lay down and wait for the dog to come to him of he sees the dog is scared or nervous.

I also suggest checking out any local bulldog meetups. I've never seen a bulldog on bulldog fight at any of the meetups I take Ruckus to and it's really fun to be in a park full of bullies.

I also do what Jackie does. Bella has NOT mastered this, but she knows what she's supposed to do. It's just a matter of making her want to do it. Her high value treats are turkey bacon and chicken breasts. For us, it's a really slow process. Also, it doesn't help when people let their dogs approach quickly. Then, I don't have time to get Bella's attention.

Anyway, good luck! It just takes time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
gang has you cover with great info..... slow process and patience with a lot of treats

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.