Tara Lewerth

Mar 11, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Hello everyone! I am just looking for some opinions about crate training Boss. We have not started yet because I had not decided wether I was going to do it or not....but now I am definitely thinking that it wont hurt anything,it will be useful at some point in his life, and since hes still technically a puppy ( a big puppy ) I should start ASAP. I am a little overwhelmed with how many dog crates there are to choose from...anyone have any suggestions on a good place or brand? Also, the main question I had was weather or not it was a bad idea to have 2 crates for him? He always likes to be in the same room as us....and we are mostly downstairs in the living room/kitchen or upstairs in our bedroom. I was thinking it would be a good idea to just get 2 crates so he has one in each room (yes I spoil the heck out of him ) and we dont have to bother with moving it at all. I definitely want to try and get him excited about one in our bedroom because the 50lb bulldog snuggling up with Braden and I all night is getting less cute with every minute of sleep and every inch of our bed that seem to be disappearing.

does anyone think that Boss, or any dog, having 2 different crates is a bad idea? Most of what I have read only relates to one single crate...But I figure if i can get him to enjoy being in one he will enjoy the other one too...and it would be like a little space for himself in both rooms.

Also, if anyone has any ideas or tips on crate training the average bully please share!!

Thank you!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use Mid-west crates size 36 inch ..... I would place one crate where you want him to be most comfortable and then use baby gates when you are home and he is out and about with you in the house to keep out of areas you don't want him in.

Also use a strict schedule with him.... puppies can hold bladder one hour more than they are months old ie... 3 month - you are pushing it at 4 hrs. What I did with all my pups was - when I am home and they are awake... out every two hours, right after play time and waking up, and about 30 mins after meals.

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
We have two pups and three crates.They are various sizes and two are the solid style plastic ones and one is the metal collapsible one. This works for us with no confusion for the dogs. I find there are pros and cons to both styles. Ours didn't start out with crate training very well so we put them aside and waited till they were a little older. It was really easy the second round and we are so thankful we did. It's great when we go away and stay with people that might not appreciate our dogs in their beds. Plus it was just too hot with us all in the bed I can't imagine once they are full grown.

Both Floyd and Lola love their crates now, they go in and have naps in there if they want some quiet time, usually in the same one..lol..also at bedtime now I just have to tell them it's bedtime and Floyd automatically trots in to his and lays down to wait for his kiss goodnight. How old is Boss?

OP
T

Tara Lewerth

Mar 11, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
We have two pups and three crates.They are various sizes and two are the solid style plastic ones and one is the metal collapsible one. This works for us with no confusion for the dogs. I find there are pros and cons to both styles. Ours didn't start out with crate training very well so we put them aside and waited till they were a little older. It was really easy the second round and we are so thankful we did. It's great when we go away and stay with people that might not appreciate our dogs in their beds. Plus it was just too hot with us all in the bed I can't imagine once they are full grown.

Both Floyd and Lola love their crates now, they go in and have naps in there if they want some quiet time, usually in the same one..lol..also at bedtime now I just have to tell them it's bedtime and Floyd automatically trots in to his and lays down to wait for his kiss goodnight. How old is Boss?

He just turned 7 months about a week ago. Hes been amazing so far with training and hes a very fast learner with almost anything I teach him so I am hoping that he will be the same with the crate training. Up until now I have liked that he slept in bed with us because he always has to have some part of his body touching mine, and this way I am able to sleep comfortably knowing he is not somewhere chewing something or doing something he should not be...he seems to overlook the large amount of toys and chewable things we bought him and always goes directly for the few things he shouldnt. Just last week he chewed up a remote when I was gone from the house for 2 hours....this was when I decided it was time to start with the crate training because no matter how hard I try to make sure there isnt anything in his reach he will always find something. He really is a good dog behavior wise besides just a few normal puppy things from time to time.

The only other thing that has my slightly worried is that my sister is expecting a new baby in May. She already has a 2 year old Josie who I have the pleasure of babysitting every wednesday for the whole day. My sister is only a 60 second walk from my house so I always take Boss with me when I go there. My niece absolutely loves Boss and for the most part he is really great with her....I always keep an eye on them if the two of them are playing just because they are both still babies. The only problem I have is that she seems to always have a stuffed animal or barbie or toy in her arms (which she should shes only 2 years old)...Boss seems to think that these are all toys for him to play with and yank out of her hands....which always ends in my niece cry etc etc etc...I guess the thing that worries me about my new nephew on the way that will be most on the floor rolling around and crawling and what not.....I am just hoping boss does not think that hes a play toy...:ashamed: He has never been around an infant and I cant even lay on the floor to do sit ups without him jumping on me wanting to play.....Any input or tips?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.