Post-Neutering. What can sometimes happen.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We decided to get the boys neutered last December.

For over a year, I was opposed to the idea, then finally gave in when we got Wellie due to social reasons. Castrated dogs just didn't like them, and it became difficult to go out without constant barking and lunging by neighborhood dogs.

Since the neuter, there has been no change in Wellie. He still loves everyone, including dogs, cats, and kids. All he wants to do is play with everyone.

The change in Blue is horrible though. He never cared about other dogs, but now? If we happen to run across one that's intact, all bets are off. He goes after them with the intent to kill.
He went after a french bulldog he's always known and never had problems with. He's also gone after strange dogs he's never met. I don't know what to do anymore other than keep him away from all dogs which is what we're doing now.

I brought this up to my vet and she said it does happen. Really? WTF?? Why didn't she mention it when she was pushing castrating them??!!

Anyway, I'm posting this so those who are undecided, know all the risks and benefits that come with neutering. It doesn't always cure behavioral problems, and can in fact lead to more.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Thanks for sharing. Both of my boys are intact, but we may have to castrate Usko for medical reasons and to tell you the truth I'm a bit anxious on how it will affect the relationship between the boys. That is why I may first try chemical castration to find out how it will affect him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have heard that some castrated males can NOT stand to be around intact ones. Wally is still intact, and I seriously doubt that we will have him neutered unless we absolutely HAVE to… or at least until he's a lot older. I'm really on the fence about this… there is so much controversy between the pros and cons.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@RiiSi Wellie's fine. He could not care less if a dogs castrated or intact. He's exactly the same.
Blue has always been a difficult dog so maybe that added to it.. I dunno. Just know that we're worse off now, than we were, and there's nothing we can do.

@ddnene he's still a pup so you have time to decide.. just do what's best for your family.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It is such a difficult decision, and I think each one is different depending on their personalities. Tyson was intact until he was 8yrs. I chose to not do it when I rescued him because one of his testicles had not dropped, and they told me that surgery would be more invasive since they would have to cut into his abdomen to get the 2nd one - I had heard horror stories of bullies & surgeries so I decided not too. Flash forward to 8yrs old... and he starts peeing blood - so we take him in, and he ends up having an enlarged prostate - in order to cure that - they have to neuter to remove the testosterone. Under he went, and that, as some of you already know is the surgery we almost lost him too. Thankfully he pulled through, my strong boy... and his prostate ended up going back down to its normal size within a few weeks post - op. The vet who did the surgery said the prostate issue would not have happened if we had neutered him. Ugh. However, there was not change in him after behavior wise... he gained some weight, but that's it.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I have heard that some castrated males can NOT stand to be around intact ones. Wally is still intact, and I seriously doubt that we will have him neutered unless we absolutely HAVE to… or at least until he's a lot older. I'm really on the fence about this… there is so much controversy between the pros and cons.

I am also debating in my head whether I should have Harvey neutered. He just turned 10 mos. old a week ago. He is the loveliest guy but stranger dogs want to attack him all the time perhaps because he is intact while the other dog is neutered. There is a neutered bulldog in our neighborhood. He gets along with him.

I am unsure now whether he should be neutered. I don't want to modify his personality.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I am also debating in my head whether I should have Harvey neutered. He just turned 10 mos. old a week ago. He is the loveliest guy but stranger dogs want to attack him all the time perhaps because he is intact while the other dog is neutered. There is a neutered bulldog in our neighborhood. He gets along with him.

I am unsure now whether he should be neutered. I don't want to modify his personality.

If you were going to neuter him for other reasons, don't let this reason hold you back. I just wanted people to know that there is a chance this could happen.
Wellie's fine, no change. So I'm not sure how common this is.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I chose to neuter Henry early on so it wouldn't affect his personality as much. Thankfully he is the same lovely baby as before.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We had Monty neutered after we got him. He had just turned 4. He started marking in the house, even if he had just been outside he would find those few drops and he was definitely house trained. Also, my other dog Barney, was really quite scared of him and would fear bite if they crossed paths even though Monty would ignore him.... but Barney was here first, so... snip. It hasn't changed Monty's personality one iota, he still ignores Barney but no more marking and Barney is no longer scared of him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is all so damn confusing..... I want to hold off with Lambeau till he is at least 8 months, but Lewis wants it done at 6 months. We are starting to see Cheli getting 'nasty' with him at times, and it so happens this is coinciding with Lambeau starting to hump - only air at this point, but Cheli seems to not like it. Wgo Tuesday for his last shot so I plan to ask our vet his thoughts on waiting or not

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It's very confusing.. but there's a very real chance that having one intact and the other castrated can lead to issues. That's my fear for Riikka. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] I think you're putting it off for as long as you can? I would.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We had another incident last night in the elevator. Blue again went the Frenchie who wasn't neutered. He was fine at first, then Chris gave some attention to the frenchie. Maybe Blue didn't like it, no idea but he started growling.
sigh.. he's such a difficult bullie (literally, he's a bully these days).

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Possible behavior issues is one thing and another is that Usko doesn't do good with stitches. Every three ops that he has had have been unsuccesful and he's had another to correct the first. I dread that after neutering he will bleed in to his abdomen or something along that line...

It's very confusing.. but there's a very real chance that having one intact and the other castrated can lead to issues. That's my fear for Riikka. @RiiSi I think you're putting it off for as long as you can? I would.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] does it have to be done eventually? Or can you get away with not doing it?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
It would be beneficial, cause of his prostate keeps getting enlarged and that can lead to problems with urinating and that can lead to stones. So I'm screwed if I do it and screwed if I don't....

@RiiSi does it have to be done eventually? Or can you get away with not doing it?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online