Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Age and hormones as well as alpha will play into this. I think you have been doing your homework and have some great ideas, like going ahead and putting Finn in the higher pecking order- but I think being equal on all levels will help, unity is good for the pack.

I've had my share of fights and I turn on the dust buster or vacuum, whichever I can get to first, and put it in between them.

I think the prozac is a great idea if it is needed, discuss it with your vet. Half the people I know are on "happy" pills, why can't a dog? I've been tempted to look into this myself, but the older they get the more relaxed they are and no fights for months now. I think the boys are just confused as to where their place is.

Also, NO bones or high level treats in open areas, this is reserved for crate time where they know they are 'safe' from being stolen.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Also Henny, if God forbid they do fight again, I read that grabbing both hind legs of one of the dogs and pulling will throw them off balance and will separate them. It is safer than grabbing anywhere by the head or shoulder area.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How could this innocent (looking), angelic-like-baby be such a bully? :ponder:

finnwakeup.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok so I am going to throw myself out there. I know I will get a lot of crap from some people but I don't really care. Everyone here knows my Brutus and Frankie story. Brutus is a very anxious dog with major OCD. HI'm and frank got to the place where they could be in harmony until about two months ago. Brutus started attacking frank for no reason. I had to do the same thing pick up furniture and bang it to get him to stop. I had Brutus checked by the vet for everything from his chronic ear infections to seizures. Nothing. He was just being aggressive. I even had to monitor what toys they played with because Brutus would growl and be stupid. bones were absolutely out of the question. I started Brutus on doggie Prozac and my babies life has changed for the better. He no longer attacks Frankie for no reason, and he and frank can actually have a nylar bone each and lay next to each other and chew in harmony. I know training is still key here, but it is really hard to train when Brutus would attack without warning. Brutus is not and I repeat NOT a vicious dog. He loves to play with his doggie friends but when his anxiety gets the better of him he gets defensive. He is so much more relaxed and it has made him a better dog and doggie brother. No fights in the tI me he has been on it. It has not changed his personality at all. I wasn't going to make this info public knowledge because I know people feel strongly about meds like this but I think you should discuss this with your vet Henny before something happens that you can't stop.

Good grief Rosalie… absolutely NO judgement here!!! You have to do what is best for your situation, and sometimes meds are the answer…

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
thanks for sharing that Rosalie @brutus77. I would be open to medication if that is something that would benefit Finn. I was truly disheartened yesterday when i was out walking Tate by himself. My neighbor John told me (in the nicest way possible) that he'd be happy if he never saw Finn again. :(

I know this sounds like a terribly cruel thing to say but in the past Finn has nipped John's finger and most recently head-butted him and thus, cut his lip. There was blood dripping down my neighbor's mouth and i thought he broke a tooth. John has always been very nice to Finn, but I do believe it's b/c my neighbor is a very tall person and Finn was trying to protect me probably(?) So, it's not just aggression towards Tate and other dogs but to some humans too that I worry about.

@karmasworld, thanks for the tip. I've never heard of that product before and will check it out.

Ugh my heart breaks over what your neighbor said to you Henny :( I understand the WHY but gosh he's your child… and it's NOT like you are not trying to fix the situation. I'm sure that my neighbors felt the same way about Roxie's barking at times, but I'm glad that she let me know that strangers were around.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Ugh my heart breaks over what your neighbor said to you Henny :( I understand the WHY but gosh he's your child… and it's NOT like you are not trying to fix the situation. I'm sure that my neighbors felt the same way about Roxie's barking at times, but I'm glad that she let me know that strangers were around.

it did feel like a punch in the stomach when he said that; i had to try to understand where the statement was coming from. Still, like you said, Finn is my child. It's sad b/c Finn has this "reputation" with some of my neighbors now. Tate is the "nice one" and Finn is the "mean one". :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it did feel like a punch in the stomach when he said that; i had to try to understand where the statement was coming from. Still, like you said, Finn is my child. It's sad b/c Finn has this "reputation" with some of my neighbors now. Tate is the "nice one" and Finn is the "mean one". :(

We had the same situation with Banks and Nitschke... we did have family and friends tell us Banks was too much for them and they would not interact with her. She was horrendous as a toddle (age 1-3) ... it was easier for us to address because there were two of us and Lewis always handled Banks during that time... now it took all those years, but after age 4/5 she turned into the greatest dog... knew her place was still a beeotch at times

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob

I feel your anxiety and heart ache about Finn. I feel the same way about Goob. When he was 8 months old, he started showing aggression towards people on walks that wanted to say hi to him AND towards new people coming into the house. We got him neutered, crated him with company until his anxiety levels went down, made him sit on walks when people wanted to say hi to him...unfortunately, things only got worse. He was GREAT with a pack of pugs that he grew up with but the moment a new person or new dog was added to the mix, he got aggressive.

With all the training we have put in, he still hates strangers and hates other dogs. We have to put him in a separate room when company comes over. Nobody can pet him (unless he already knows them from puppyhood). We have to muzzle him when we go to the vet. The vet even told us, "I've never known an EB to need a muzzle before." And she gave us that "bad parents" look. It makes me sad too because he is such a sweetie with us but is the "bad dog" in the neighborhood. I want another bully SO BAD but my husband says that it's not worth the risk of dog fights. Goob is good with puppies but he is worried about fights as the puppy ages.

I don't have any earth shattering advice. I just feel your pain. We are still working with Goob. Whether it is medication, retraining, separating, or whatever. You know what is best for your boys and there will be neigh sayers on both sides. Whatever you decide, we are on your side.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
It's the same around here as far as reputations. Chumley is the nice one and Hershey is he mean one. When I walk them both hershey struggles and fights to break free to lunge at every passing car. He becomes an absolute lunatic when he sees a car, truck, lawn mower, or anything motorized. He also is very aggressive when meeting other dogs. If anyone remembers his first meeting with Chumley went terribly. Rick told me his wife had to sit in he car with hershey when they went to their only meetup in New Jersey. When Rosalie [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] came by that one day for the charity mobile dog wash Hershey had to be brought inside. Yet when we're alone in the house he is fine. He will play/fight with Chumley and he is always the instigator. I wondered if it was more aggression than but compared to many videos I've seen of other bullies playing it doesn't appear to be...just a lot of rolling around on the ground but he does grab the folds on the side of Chumleys face and won't let go. I really don't like that but it's never broken skin and chum will roll over and always get out of it. I've never had to intercede but it does look more than playful to me. At night they sleep side by side, they eat together and can share chew toys but at least once a day there's a fight. I wonder if I'm deluding myself into thinking everything's okay. Hershey is a nut...but so far a harmless one.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Jim [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION], I think that is play. Brutus and Frankie play like that as well. When Brutus is no longer playing he will show teeth and give a kind of screaming bark/growl where he has never bite Frankie but he backs him up very aggressively. The problem that I had with the last fight that led to meds is Frankie who is normally very submissive had enough and went back at brutus. No good at all. Scariest moment ever. dining room chairs where flying to try to break them up. you will definitely know the difference between play and real.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I have 2 females and the oldest had been an only dog for 4 yrs. so she wasn't too thrilled with us bringing home a pup but she tolerated her. She never picked the fight but the puppy would irritate her and not take correction. Even though the younger one Always got hurt she kept coming back for more. You'd think they would learn but I guess that's the stubbornness of the breed. We finally recognized the trigger was always the younger dog, a treat dropped onto the floor or if someone dangled a toy above the 2 dogs. Once we recognized the triggers we were able to intervene before a fight started or just as it was beginning. They never lasted long but we had trips to the vet with teeth being pulled out, punctured tongue, an an eyelid damaged. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online