Thread: Fighting Every Day

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fighting Every Day

Tate is bigger than Finn. Finn is more aggressive. YOU must be the Alpha.

I agree with Christine, crate both and when you feed them put them in yhe other room untol youre able to put the bowls down and let them out to eat. Id put both of their harnesses on and have them follow you through doorways. Showing them who the alpha is, you. I think a lot of this stems from them both vieing for your affection. Maybe @Chumley could help.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

thanks for sharing that Rosalie @brutus77. I would be open to medication if that is something that would benefit Finn. I was truly disheartened yesterday when i was out walking Tate by himself. My neighbor John told me (in the nicest way possible) that he'd be happy if he never saw Finn again.

I know this sounds like a terribly cruel thing to say but in the past Finn has nipped John's finger and most recently head-butted him and thus, cut his lip. There was blood dripping down my neighbor's mouth and i thought he broke a tooth. John has always been very nice to Finn, but I do believe it's b/c my neighbor is a very tall person and Finn was trying to protect me probably(?) So, it's not just aggression towards Tate and other dogs but to some humans too that I worry about.

@karmasworld, thanks for the tip. I've never heard of that product before and will check it out.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    thanks for sharing that Rosalie @brutus77. I would be open to medication if that is something that would benefit Finn. I was truly disheartened yesterday when i was out walking Tate by himself. My neighbor John told me (in the nicest way possible) that he'd be happy if he never saw Finn again.

I know this sounds like a terribly cruel thing to say but in the past Finn has nipped John's finger and most recently head-butted him and thus, cut his lip. There was blood dripping down my neighbor's mouth and i thought he broke a tooth. John has always been very nice to Finn, but I do believe it's b/c my neighbor is a very tall person and Finn was trying to protect me probably(?) So, it's not just aggression towards Tate and other dogs but to some humans too that I worry about.

@karmasworld, thanks for the tip. I've never heard of that product before and will check it out.
    Discuss it with your vet. seeing my boy happy and relaxed is worth more to me than anything. It does take months for full effect, but it is really worth looking into.
    My smooshy face boy!

4. Likes cali baker liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Age and hormones as well as alpha will play into this. I think you have been doing your homework and have some great ideas, like going ahead and putting Finn in the higher pecking order- but I think being equal on all levels will help, unity is good for the pack.

I've had my share of fights and I turn on the dust buster or vacuum, whichever I can get to first, and put it in between them.

I think the prozac is a great idea if it is needed, discuss it with your vet. Half the people I know are on "happy" pills, why can't a dog? I've been tempted to look into this myself, but the older they get the more relaxed they are and no fights for months now. I think the boys are just confused as to where their place is.

Also, NO bones or high level treats in open areas, this is reserved for crate time where they know they are 'safe' from being stolen.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

6. Likes cali baker, ddnene, dolphin liked this post
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Also Henny, if God forbid they do fight again, I read that grabbing both hind legs of one of the dogs and pulling will throw them off balance and will separate them. It is safer than grabbing anywhere by the head or shoulder area.
    My smooshy face boy!

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

How could this innocent (looking), angelic-like-baby be such a bully?

Name:  finnwakeup.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  7.1 KB

10. Likes bullmama, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

AaaawwW...Looks can be deceiving...my sweetest, clever boy Usko always starts the fights...

How could this innocent (looking), angelic-like-baby be such a bully?

Name:  finnwakeup.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  7.1 KB

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Ok so I am going to throw myself out there. I know I will get a lot of crap from some people but I don't really care. Everyone here knows my Brutus and Frankie story. Brutus is a very anxious dog with major OCD. HI'm and frank got to the place where they could be in harmony until about two months ago. Brutus started attacking frank for no reason. I had to do the same thing pick up furniture and bang it to get him to stop. I had Brutus checked by the vet for everything from his chronic ear infections to seizures. Nothing. He was just being aggressive. I even had to monitor what toys they played with because Brutus would growl and be stupid. bones were absolutely out of the question. I started Brutus on doggie Prozac and my babies life has changed for the better. He no longer attacks Frankie for no reason, and he and frank can actually have a nylar bone each and lay next to each other and chew in harmony. I know training is still key here, but it is really hard to train when Brutus would attack without warning. Brutus is not and I repeat NOT a vicious dog. He loves to play with his doggie friends but when his anxiety gets the better of him he gets defensive. He is so much more relaxed and it has made him a better dog and doggie brother. No fights in the tI me he has been on it. It has not changed his personality at all. I wasn't going to make this info public knowledge because I know people feel strongly about meds like this but I think you should discuss this with your vet Henny before something happens that you can't stop.
    Good grief Rosalie… absolutely NO judgement here!!! You have to do what is best for your situation, and sometimes meds are the answer…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Ugh my heart breaks over what your neighbor said to you Henny I understand the WHY but gosh he's your child… and it's NOT like you are not trying to fix the situation. I'm sure that my neighbors felt the same way about Roxie's barking at times, but I'm glad that she let me know that strangers were around.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Ugh my heart breaks over what your neighbor said to you Henny I understand the WHY but gosh he's your child… and it's NOT like you are not trying to fix the situation. I'm sure that my neighbors felt the same way about Roxie's barking at times, but I'm glad that she let me know that strangers were around.
    it did feel like a punch in the stomach when he said that; i had to try to understand where the statement was coming from. Still, like you said, Finn is my child. It's sad b/c Finn has this "reputation" with some of my neighbors now. Tate is the "nice one" and Finn is the "mean one".

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

it did feel like a punch in the stomach when he said that; i had to try to understand where the statement was coming from. Still, like you said, Finn is my child. It's sad b/c Finn has this "reputation" with some of my neighbors now. Tate is the "nice one" and Finn is the "mean one".

We had the same situation with Banks and Nitschke... we did have family and friends tell us Banks was too much for them and they would not interact with her. She was horrendous as a toddle (age 1-3) ... it was easier for us to address because there were two of us and Lewis always handled Banks during that time... now it took all those years, but after age 4/5 she turned into the greatest dog... knew her place was still a beeotch at times
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I feel your anxiety and heart ache about Finn. I feel the same way about Goob. When he was 8 months old, he started showing aggression towards people on walks that wanted to say hi to him AND towards new people coming into the house. We got him neutered, crated him with company until his anxiety levels went down, made him sit on walks when people wanted to say hi to him...unfortunately, things only got worse. He was GREAT with a pack of pugs that he grew up with but the moment a new person or new dog was added to the mix, he got aggressive.

With all the training we have put in, he still hates strangers and hates other dogs. We have to put him in a separate room when company comes over. Nobody can pet him (unless he already knows them from puppyhood). We have to muzzle him when we go to the vet. The vet even told us, "I've never known an EB to need a muzzle before." And she gave us that "bad parents" look. It makes me sad too because he is such a sweetie with us but is the "bad dog" in the neighborhood. I want another bully SO BAD but my husband says that it's not worth the risk of dog fights. Goob is good with puppies but he is worried about fights as the puppy ages.

I don't have any earth shattering advice. I just feel your pain. We are still working with Goob. Whether it is medication, retraining, separating, or whatever. You know what is best for your boys and there will be neigh sayers on both sides. Whatever you decide, we are on your side.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

17. Likes bullmama liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads