Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17

Thread: Tough love

  1. #1
    Doggie Boutique Owner MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    806
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)
    432

    Default Tough love

    My Pork chop girl is a rescue, brought her home December 14, 2013. We are on a journey to learn about each other. We made improvements and constant working.

    I been working on breaking away from me. She used to follow me to the shower and wait. Today, I closed the my bedroom door . She was relaxing in the living room ( I live in an apt).

    Tonight, she gave me a confused look when I said , you want mommy's bed? She stayed in her own bed.

    Is her confusion look telling me something? Any advice is welcomed all I like to help her that mommy is ok and I don't need her.

    Thank you in advance

  2. #2
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,198
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2731

    Default Re: Tough love

    Not sure what you're asking exactly?

    Many bullys are needy dogs and shadow (follow) their owners.
    There's no such thing as 'too much' closeness, lol

    Some breeds would find this uncomfortable as well as many
    people an invasion of their space, and that's perfectly normal.

    My Cami, if on the rare occasion she falls asleep on the sofa and
    too lazy to go to bed w/me, if she wakes up during the night ALONE,
    she will give a sharp, single bark to come get her! It makes me laugh
    EVERY time, it's so ridiculous

    But, if you need to set some boundaries for your sake and she's okay
    with it (not anxious, crying, depressed...okay! Just don't think you're
    encouraging behavior that, for the most part, is really, a bully's normal
    desire. I read once that bulldogs were one of the few breeds so attached,
    so loyal & so desired to just be with their owners that most had NO desire
    to leave them and/or their yards. Being with us IS their reason for being,
    just born & breed into their big, bully hearts <3

    Please forgive me if I've missed your post's true intent!


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  3. #3
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: Tough love

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Not sure what you're asking exactly?

    Many bullys are needy dogs and shadow (follow) their owners.
    There's no such thing as 'too much' closeness, lol

    Some breeds would find this uncomfortable as well as many
    people an invasion of their space, and that's perfectly normal.

    My Cami, if on the rare occasion she falls asleep on the sofa and
    too lazy to go to bed w/me, if she wakes up during the night ALONE,
    she will give a sharp, single bark to come get her! It makes me laugh
    EVERY time, it's so ridiculous

    But, if you need to set some boundaries for your sake and she's okay
    with it (not anxious, crying, depressed...okay! Just don't think you're
    encouraging behavior that, for the most part, is really, a bully's normal
    desire. I read once that bulldogs were one of the few breeds so attached,
    so loyal & so desired to just be with their owners that most had NO desire
    to leave them and/or their yards. Being with us IS their reason for being,
    just born & breed into their big, bully hearts <3

    Please forgive me if I've missed your post's true intent!

    Fantastic post --- so true, they just want to be with their humans.. I have had 4 bullies and all 4 were/are my shadows
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  4. #4
    Doggie Boutique Owner MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    806
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)
    432

    Default Re: Tough love

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Not sure what you're asking exactly?

    Many bullys are needy dogs and shadow (follow) their owners.
    There's no such thing as 'too much' closeness, lol

    Some breeds would find this uncomfortable as well as many
    people an invasion of their space, and that's perfectly normal.

    My Cami, if on the rare occasion she falls asleep on the sofa and
    too lazy to go to bed w/me, if she wakes up during the night ALONE,
    she will give a sharp, single bark to come get her! It makes me laugh
    EVERY time, it's so ridiculous

    But, if you need to set some boundaries for your sake and she's okay
    with it (not anxious, crying, depressed...okay! Just don't think you're
    encouraging behavior that, for the most part, is really, a bully's normal
    desire. I read once that bulldogs were one of the few breeds so attached,
    so loyal & so desired to just be with their owners that most had NO desire
    to leave them and/or their yards. Being with us IS their reason for being,
    just born & breed into their big, bully hearts <3

    Please forgive me if I've missed your post's true intent!
    You are right! The trainer mentioned to me tell her , "go"! When she follows me . I sense, Pork Chop is loyal by nature and loves her mommy.

    Yes, boundaries is being worked on . I am a single parent, I love her to death!

    She had this confused look when I asked her want to sleep mommy? She stayed in her own bed.

    This girl is very spoiled

  5. #5
    Doggie Boutique Owner MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    806
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)
    432

    Default Re: Tough love

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Fantastic post --- so true, they just want to be with their humans.. I have had 4 bullies and all 4 were/are my shadows
    Awww we can't resist that bully love she is good , this morning she wanted to relax w me☺ I am working on boundries.

  6. #6
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: Tough love

    Quote Originally Posted by MissWaddles13 View Post
    Awww we can't resist that bully love she is good , this morning she wanted to relax w me☺ I am working on boundries.
    Best of luck ... keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. #7
    Doggie Boutique Owner MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    806
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)
    432

    Default Re: Tough love

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Best of luck ... keep us posted
    I am learning , she still needs work on socializing w other dogs. I was told she lunges and barks bec she feels that other dogs are a threat. Someone else said , it's me. I get confused myself which one? Lol

    Thank you will do 😊

  8. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: Tough love

    Quote Originally Posted by MissWaddles13 View Post
    I am learning , she still needs work on socializing w other dogs. I was told she lunges and barks bec she feels that other dogs are a threat. Someone else said , it's me. I get confused myself which one? Lol

    Thank you will do 
    can be a little bit of both -- with Banks it was all about boundaries, we have to do this as part of keeping her inline. she had to earn every thing and be invited on furniture and such
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #9
    Doggie Boutique Owner MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    806
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)
    432

    Default Re: Tough love

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    can be a little bit of both -- with Banks it was all about boundaries, we have to do this as part of keeping her inline. she had to earn every thing and be invited on furniture and such
    Pork chop has earned some rewards which is good. I work VERY hard with her. Nothing was accomplished over night. Everyday, is new thing with her. I wouldn't trade her for another dog .

  10. #10
    Doggie Boutique Owner MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    806
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)
    432

    Default Re: Tough love

    UPDATE

    I believe in my heart, it took Pork Chop one year to trust me . Finally! She turned out to be the sweetest loving dog. She approaches strangers who say hi to her with a huge smile across her face and soaking up the attention. A rescue is not an over night thing to accomplish. I had my ups and downs with her. I love this baby out of this world❤

    I like to encourage others who have a rescue that in the beginning it seems hard and want to give up. Give it time. Everyone has a different story to tell. In a nut shell, Pork Chop growled , snipped and talked back to me. All this stopped. Behavior is excellent! One thing, that I may never see her going to dog parks and socializing. I am ok with it, she's improved so much and came a long way. Thank you members for all your advice and support.💛

  11. Likes 2BullyMama, Bella and Dozers Dad liked this post
  12. #11
    Pet Sitter Kalyn's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    385
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)
    385

    Default Re: Tough love

    Both of my babies are rescues and you're right, it takes time and work. Mine are both velcro dogs but they sleep in their own beds. I allow them to get in my when I sit in a certain chair. If I sit on the sofa, Bentley will go to the chair and bark. It's uncanny, we have conversations that I really think he understands sometimes.
    Kalyn, mom to rescue boys:
    English Bulldog, DOB: March 3, 2010, rescued May 26, 2014
    American Cocker Spaniel, DOB: September 25, 2010, rescued June 1, 2011
    Domestic Shorthair Cat, DOB: November 2013, rescued December 6, 2017


  13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  14. #12
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11479

    Default Re: Tough love

    Quote Originally Posted by MissWaddles13 View Post
    UPDATE

    I believe in my heart, it took Pork Chop one year to trust me . Finally! She turned out to be the sweetest loving dog. She approaches strangers who say hi to her with a huge smile across her face and soaking up the attention. A rescue is not an over night thing to accomplish. I had my ups and downs with her. I love this baby out of this world

    I like to encourage others who have a rescue that in the beginning it seems hard and want to give up. Give it time. Everyone has a different story to tell. In a nut shell, Pork Chop growled , snipped and talked back to me. All this stopped. Behavior is excellent! One thing, that I may never see her going to dog parks and socializing. I am ok with it, she's improved so much and came a long way. Thank you members for all your advice and support.
    Awesome! So happy it is working out,,, great job!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •