Attention barking

AlishaMarie

Mar 2, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus (Max)
We got our puppy max about a week ago
He's great. He knows sit, and paw, and is also getting a bit better on a leash.
My only issue with him is that he knows how to get things he wants... He barks to let me know he's hungry or thirsty or when he wants to play or on the couch.
This wouldn't really bother me if we didn't live in an apartment. He doesn't usually do this until late at night, and I'd hate to disturb our neighbors.
Any suggestions on how to nip barking before his cute little bark turns into a big bark?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd not give into him when he barks and tell him no barking unless it's for some reason you want him to bark. Maybe an empty little coffee can with coins in it and shake it when he does it and a firm no. He should catch on pretty quick.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We got our puppy max about a week ago
He's great. He knows sit, and paw, and is also getting a bit better on a leash.
My only issue with him is that he knows how to get things he wants... He barks to let me know he's hungry or thirsty or when he wants to play or on the couch.
This wouldn't really bother me if we didn't live in an apartment. He doesn't usually do this until late at night, and I'd hate to disturb our neighbors.
Any suggestions on how to nip barking before his cute little bark turns into a big bark?

Bella barks when she's annoyed. I've tried the Pet Corrector (canned air), but that stopped working well. She sarted barking at it, which is very counter productive.

I've found that what works best is for me to say, "No!" and then leave the room. I do it every time and she knows that barking doesn't give her attention, but it gets her left alone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We used the spray bottle with water in it for our girl when she was a pup. Firm no with a spray to side of face when they bark for no reason.

LordStanley

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Stanley
I've found that what works best is for me to say, "No!" and then leave the room. I do it every time and she knows that barking doesn't give her attention, but it gets her left alone

^^^ This ^^^ This is what we have started doing to Stanley when he barks for attention. It's starting to work.

Members online

No members online now.