wendyk313

Feb 25, 2015
TX
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello Everyone.
I just adopted Bella today. She is a beautiful 3 yr old. I adopted her from a no kill shelter, in her former life, she was kept in a tiny cage. It wan't a
"breeding" situation, it was a animal hoarder.
Does anyone have any advice on housebreaking.? I've kept her on a short leash with me at all times in the house and I've taken her outside immediately if it looks she's sniffing around. I've house trained from puppies before but never an adult dog with issues. Everything is new to her. She is very loving and playful, just a joy. I can't wait to see her personality really shine.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi:) Welcome and thank you for adopting<3

I would try and do as with puppies, take her out often, especially directly in the morning and after food and so on.

When she does her business outside I'd praise her immediately. Dogs like to poop where they've pooped before so if you have a garden or an area outside where you can leave one of her poops she'll probably prefer going potty there again.

Adult dogs usually have some kind of schedule for pooping so in time you'll figure that out:)

If she goes potty inside I'd take her outside right away, then I'd just clean it up, not say a word about it or be upset.

She sounds like a doll, would love to see pictures of her:)

OP
wendyk313

wendyk313

Feb 25, 2015
TX
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks Petra,

She's been so happy to be out of the cage, that she wants to see everything, we haven't been going to the same spot. That's good advice, I'll take her back where we've had success. I'm going to take some pics tomorrow. She has to go back in two weeks for some dental work. At some point she suffered a broken jaw and it was never treated, so it healed incorrectly. It sure doesn't slow down her eating, lol.

I'm pretty new to forums in general. Not sure if I should start a new thread for a different question....she has another issue..she did great in bath today, but when it came time to towel dry...wow, she didn't like that at all. I don't know what her experience with towels was, but it wasn't good. She's gonna need a couple more baths. the smell was overwhelming Any thoughts on the towel issue? She really is super sweet and follows me everywhere...not aggressive, it just distressed her.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Wendy, Bless you for saving this baby. Even though she came from a no kill shelter, you have saved her life. I can't wait to see pictures of Bella. We have a rescue that came to us at 2yrs old. He had some issues with having hands near his head. What we did was have a treat in our hands and very slowly we would try to pet him while telling him he was a good boy and giving him a treat. He learned to associate having his head touched with something good and loving. Now he is a big mush and enjoys big kisses all over his big block head!! If while you are trying to towel Bella, you can treat and give lavish praise, she will come around in no time. Good luck

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@wendyk313 - You've got some great advice here already! Just wanted to say THANK YOU for rescuing sweet Bella. Rescues are the best ever, and I'm so glad Bella finally got her furever home where she is going to be loved on just like she deserves. Yes, please posts pics of your girl, we'd love to see her! Bless you again for saving her, and I know she will be the bestest friend to you in no time!

Regarding the towel, you'll have to take your time with her, and she has to gain your trust. Try letting her smell the towel first... show her a treat in one hand... slowly rub the towel on her, and if she responds ok... give her the treat.... to show her there is no threat from it, but rather a reward. You never know what happened in the past, that's what kills me about people. They are heartless. Keep us posted on her progress & WELCOME!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi:) Welcome and thank you for adopting<3

I would try and do as with puppies, take her out often, especially directly in the morning and after food and so on.

When she does her business outside I'd praise her immediately. Dogs like to poop where they've pooped before so if you have a garden or an area outside where you can leave one of her poops she'll probably prefer going potty there again.

Adult dogs usually have some kind of schedule for pooping so in time you'll figure that out:)

If she goes potty inside I'd take her outside right away, then I'd just clean it up, not say a word about it or be upset.

She sounds like a doll, would love to see pictures of her:)

Petra has given you great advice. When I trained my pups, they got praised and rewarded with a small treat For "going" outside, because I learned that EBD's are SO much more food/treat oriented than other breeds. (some might called it "bribery" after the fact!!) That worked wonders for me!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: .... THANK you for giving this sweet girl a new second chance at a great life!

The gang gave great adive.... best of luck and look forward to pictures!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Thanks Petra,

She's been so happy to be out of the cage, that she wants to see everything, we haven't been going to the same spot. That's good advice, I'll take her back where we've had success. I'm going to take some pics tomorrow. She has to go back in two weeks for some dental work. At some point she suffered a broken jaw and it was never treated, so it healed incorrectly. It sure doesn't slow down her eating, lol.

I'm pretty new to forums in general. Not sure if I should start a new thread for a different question....she has another issue..she did great in bath today, but when it came time to towel dry...wow, she didn't like that at all. I don't know what her experience with towels was, but it wasn't good. She's gonna need a couple more baths. the smell was overwhelming Any thoughts on the towel issue? She really is super sweet and follows me everywhere...not aggressive, it just distressed her.

Aww, shame it's so nice to hear good rescue stories:w00t: sad about her jaw, glad she's going to get some treatment:)

If you want you can start a new thread, but since the towel situation is also a training/behavioral issue it can just as well be posted in this thread:) I don't really have that issue cos mine loves to be dried with the towel... I would probably try and put her on a huge towel on the floor and then just take the corners of the towel and give her a nice butt rub with it, or use a few of those small face cloth towels, the might seem less frightening:unsure:. Is she doing ok with face cleaning? In that case the smaller cloths could work and then you can increase the towel size over time:)

OP
wendyk313

wendyk313

Feb 25, 2015
TX
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks again Petra for the wonderful advice and everyone for the warm welcome

She did fine with face cleaning.. Here nose is crusty and she let me put some Elta (no fragrance) cream on it..No problem. Your right might be the size of the towel. I watched a video here on a rinse for after bath, I'm gonna try it. She looks so much better, but she still have some of the smell from the hoarding situation. I'm going to wait a few days then bathe again and follow with the rinse...And small towels, lol

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Wendy, welcome to EBN and congratulations on your new little girl, Bella. She sounds like a total doll :) You have rec'vd very good advice. Praise her like it's a party whenever she goes potty outdoors. Soon she will associate all that positive reinforcement w/going potty where she's supposed to.

Thank you for giving this girl a brand new life with you!! :luv:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My heart is mush from hearing your rescue of Bella and giving her
a forever home, GOD bless you! She sounds wonderful!!

I've had 2 rehomed bullies, both adults, both came w/potty issues
and neither showed any signs of needing to go or sounds, just went
wherever, including my bed! Staying calm, being patient and getting
them on a schedule is key, disagree with the behavior but no yelling
or punishment, bullies are truly sensitive, when they potty outside
(use a consistent phrase such as, "Go Potty") lavishly, over the top
praise and, at first, a treat (it can be a bit of kibble). It doesn't take
long, bullies are smart.

After bathing & rinsing well, do a final LEAVE IN with a plastic pitcher
of warm water & 2 cups cheap, white vinegar mixed in, from neck back,
pour all over her. Hand press out then put towel on her WITHOUT rubbing
her. Put heat on in bathroom and let her air dry or lightly press dry with
more towels. She'll gradually let you rub her dry after she understands you
will not harm her with them.

Wait until she fully trusts you, it's an incredible gift, a bully's adoration, like
no other breed and I've had them all. Please keep us informed and pics when
you can, Welcome to EBN, what a pleasure to have y'all :)

OP
wendyk313

wendyk313

Feb 25, 2015
TX
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi Everyone,
Bella is doing so good with potty...just two accidents and it was my fault. I didn't move fast enough. She whined and went to the door..it's 32 degrees here, so by the time I got my coat on..whoops. I just told her my fault...then we went out and she tinkled. I praised her and she turns into wiggle worm.. lol

Here's a pic of my beautiful girl... GEDC1675.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi Wendy, Welcome to EBN, and Congratulations on your new baby, you are awesome for adopting her and giving her a second chance at a loving home. I can't add anything, as everyone has got you covered and given you awesome advice as always. I'm glad you had some positive results with her going potty outside. Good job Mommy. With time and patience and lots of love and praise she will learn quickly, and she will forget her old life and learn to love and trust you. I agree also that we need to see lots of pictures of Bella.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online