"Mean Pen"

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
Mean Pen is our nickname for Penny when she's on a rampage, BUT she's started to get really mean with our other pups. Most of the time it's just play, but lately she's been getting into crazy attack mode with Jackson and Angel only over bones and food (her favorite things). I searched the forum, but mostly what I found was this aggression paired with aggression towards their owner. She adores me and loves my husband and when we break up the fight she stops, and looks at us like she's sorry with her little ears down and head dropped down with a super sad face, but the next time we bring out the bones or it's feeding time she's at it again! We've made her stay at her bowl, but the other two graze with each other and try to graze with Penny which she hates. We've seperated them and Penny goes crazy and doesn't eat her food, even if I sit with her. I tried this for every feeding on my 6 days off, she spilled her food and water everywhere and didn't eat until I picked the food up and gave it to her in my hand. I can take her food away as much as I want she just gives me the sad face and smacks her mouth, I can hand feed her, and stick my hands all in her food and she won't bite me.
Penny is our deaf puppy and "listens" better than our hearing pups she is always watching us to see what we're doing and stays with us constantly. I've been rolling her on her back, and holding her after she attacks the other dogs (or does anything wrong, and giving her the no sign) until she calms down, but she just makes a surprised face, squirms for 5 seconds, licks me, and lays there.
What should I try in her case?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have a food aggressive bully that I have to feed separately from the others. Also I don't give bones because they both guard them and it causes problems.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Have you tried letting the other dogs correct her? Yes, snapping and growling can be okay as long as you're vigilant that it doesn't get into a big fight - and this can go in a second flat - so you'll need to read body language so you can intervene before it happens.

If this doesn't correct the problem, then you really have not much choice but to remove the resource from the shared environment and only produce the resource when they're in their own space.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I can't feed mine together or let them have eatable treats that's not eaten immediately, they'll get stiff and the smallest thing will start a fight between them, so I'm just accepting the fact and feed them separate. Maybe it's the easy way out but I felt it was for the best in our case:blush2:

OP
CrazyDogMom

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
Have you tried letting the other dogs correct her? Yes, snapping and growling can be okay as long as you're vigilant that it doesn't get into a big fight - and this can go in a second flat - so you'll need to read body language so you can intervene before it happens.

If this doesn't correct the problem, then you really have not much choice but to remove the resource from the shared environment and only produce the resource when they're in their own space.
We tried letting them work it out, but she's so much bigger than the other two she just overpowers them and takes whatever she wants. Our tiny baby Angel who weighs probably half what Penny does tries to give it back to her, but Penny gets so rough she just gives in. I talked to my husband about getting a vibrating collar for her, since she's deaf, to try in times when we know she's going to attack. I've done some research on it and it seems like it's worth a shot.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We tried letting them work it out, but she's so much bigger than the other two she just overpowers them and takes whatever she wants. Our tiny baby Angel who weighs probably half what Penny does tries to give it back to her, but Penny gets so rough she just gives in. I talked to my husband about getting a vibrating collar for her, since she's deaf, to try in times when we know she's going to attack. I've done some research on it and it seems like it's worth a shot.

I have used the vibration collar.... be sure you learn how to use it... timing is everything. maybe see about an hour session with a trainer in your home

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.