My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo has started to attack my two Chihuahuas, Sheltie, Collie, Schnauzer. He jumps on top of them and goes after their neck, I cannot put my 2 Chihuahuas down on the floor when he is out of his crate, same goes for my Sheltie and Schnauzer. Collie, Elmo goes up to her and growls and forces her to go outside in the cold. What do I do? I Love My Boy Elmo, but I love all of my other dogs too. He would kill the Chihuahuas if I put them down on the floor in from of him. I am a nervous wreck, I cry about this What Do I Do?? Isn't there a collar that I can put on Elmo to make him stop this aggressive behavior? Please Help Me I Love Elmo, I do not want to have to find him a new home, but I am terrified he will kill My other dogs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Susan, I agree with Christine, she has given you great advice, if this is anew behaviour, then a vet check would be a food idea. Training oils also be a good idea to see if you can correct the behaviour, if this is something you feel you can't do on your own, then maybe see if you can find a trainer or a behaviourist to help you train Elmo. I hope you find a solution, this must be hard for you to deal with everyday. I know my friend also has the same problem. 3 years ago she moved back to her parents home with her family to look after her parents who have Alzheimer's and Dementia. She had 3 dogs, a Blue Heeler (Charlie), a Shitzu (Chynna), and a Jug (Her dad had the brother to her Shitzu (Brynn), and he's old, the house belonged to her dads dog, and he was very spoiled by her dad. Last year both parents had to move to a home and she stayed in the house with all 4 dogs. They all get along except for my friends Shitzu. She's the only female dog and gets along with the other two, but for some reason she bullies her brother, and draws blood, he can't defend himself. Nothing has worked to get them to get along, and the only thing she can do is leave the other 3 dogs out together and Brynn stays in her dads old bedroom by himself, and then she lets Brynn out and has to put Chynna in a bedroom while Brynn is out. The other dogs all get along with Brynn so she can switch them up, but it's hard.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry… I don't have any advice besides what was given by Christine. Just wanted you to know that I'm sending prayers…

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would definetly have him checked over for any health problems. Did something happen that had Elmo spooked? Has he ever shown any aggression before? How old is Elmo and has he recently had a rabies shot or booster?

OP
My Otis

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo has had all of his shots, Elmo will be 2 years young on July 30th. He use to love Heidi, that is the one in the picture with him, then all of a sudden he jumped her and had her on her back, it took all I had to separate them, I just know Elmo would kill her if he had the chance. He does get along with Bruno, our Poodle and Lolly Pop, our Boston Terrier, these are the only two he gets along with. Isn't there a collar that I can get to help him not be aggressive, I saw this collar somewhere, I do not remember where, but it was used for aggressive dogs, you don't leave it on them all the time, just when you are training them, does anyone have an idea on what collar I am talking about? If so where do I buy it. Thank You So Much For Yours comments on Helping me with My Elmo Boy.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Shock collars are sold at petco or amazon. They have collars that send a vibration or a shock. Maybe you can start with the vibration first? I would discuss the use of a shock collar with your vet.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
After you've ruled out any health issues, I would consider bringing in a professional trainer/behaviorist. There are training collars that may help but unless you know how to use them properly they can actually make behavior worse. Any time the life of another dog is in danger I think it's worth it to seek a professional opinion. I hope you can get him some help...I'm sure that's a very stressful situation. Btw, I would love to see pics of your sheltie :) I grew up with shelties and absolutely adore them!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Elmo has had all of his shots, Elmo will be 2 years young on July 30th. He use to love Heidi, that is the one in the picture with him, then all of a sudden he jumped her and had her on her back, it took all I had to separate them, I just know Elmo would kill her if he had the chance. He does get along with Bruno, our Poodle and Lolly Pop, our Boston Terrier, these are the only two he gets along with. Isn't there a collar that I can get to help him not be aggressive, I saw this collar somewhere, I do not remember where, but it was used for aggressive dogs, you don't leave it on them all the time, just when you are training them, does anyone have an idea on what collar I am talking about? If so where do I buy it. Thank You So Much For Yours comments on Helping me with My Elmo Boy.

it could be that Heidi might have something going on that Elmo has picked up on... have her checked by your vet.

I have used the collar with Banks... if you go that route, have someone (a trainer) show you haw and when to use it. Timing on the vibration is key to it's success

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Susan! Just makes my heart sad to know of your stress & worry :(

Elmo is matured now at 2 yrs old and may have been slowly taking over
and now, dominating totally. Thyroid issues can cause aggression so have
him checked out, if normal than animal behaviorist and discuss shock collar
then, maybe a thunder shirt and/or the herbal spray, Rescue Remedy calms.
I think he's claiming you as HIS property only, no sharing, so NILIF can help
so much with that behavior. Sending loving hugs and no panic yet!
Let us know, okay?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@My Otis - I'm hoping this was maybe just an "off" behavior for Elmo since he's never had any problems before. Perhaps he's not feeling well? Doesn't want to be bothered? If you are going to do a collar, please try the vibrations ones before shock, the shock ones just feel cruel to me :( Whatever it is, I sure hope it all works out, lots of love, hugs, and prayers from Tyson & I. Please keep us updated on sweet Elmo. I just love his little face. He resembles my Ty-ty.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=9802]My Otis[/MENTION] - how is Elmo doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=9802]My Otis[/MENTION] - how is Elmo doing?

[MENTION=9802]My Otis[/MENTION]...like Jessica, I've been thinking about Elmo & you and
wondering how y'all are and if Elmo's attack episodes have stopped
or lessened at all. Please let us know when you can, dear Susan.

Hugs of LOVE sending to you ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.