Miss Lola

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
I would send your dog to a GOOD behavior classes with YOUR DAUGHTER as her trainer. This is HUGE! Just go to a GOOD training school, the one which COMPETES successfully and has high obedience expectations, not one of those "100% positive reinforcement" places (as a former dog trainer I am yet to see this work. I am NOT saying punishing or hitting a dog, BUT being strict and having HIGH expectations is HUGE for success)
That is exactly what we are looking into. I also agree that sometimes you need to go beyond treats and pets to train a dog.

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Miss Lola
I can certainly understand where you are coming from as we are still working through this with Radar, he would randomly attack our 10 year old son. Just some suggestions from what I have learned the last 3 months and a few things to think about. Has there been a rabies shot lately? Radar's behavior started not long after his shot, and we did a homeopathic detox and after a couple of weeks could see change. We had a behaviorist come into the home and help out - that was eye opening - he pointed out that Radar didn't really have any rules and was trying to take over the home, if he would get excited about someone coming to the house we would pet him telling him it was okay to get excited/bark, which it wasn't we were reinforcing the negative behavior instead of disagreeing with it. we have worked on the leadership exercise's he suggested, and things like always eating something before him, making him sit and wait to get his food, petting etc. In the 2 weeks since he was there I have seen improvements in him he is listening to me again and taking cue's from us and seeing not only mom and dad as a leader but our 10 year old son as well.

I am by no means an expert, and I am not saying that all the change was the rabies shot (but he won't be getting another one without a titer test saying he needs it). You have gotten great advice but just a little about what we are going through as well.

It can be a long road but keep your head up and don't beat yourself up about what you did/didn't do in the past brush them off and start fresh with a new attitude, approach I think that is what I have learned most out of all of this - beating myself up for what was going on didn't do any of us any good.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Miss Lola
I can certainly understand where you are coming from as we are still working through this with Radar, he would randomly attack our 10 year old son. Just some suggestions from what I have learned the last 3 months and a few things to think about. Has there been a rabies shot lately? Radar's behavior started not long after his shot, and we did a homeopathic detox and after a couple of weeks could see change. We had a behaviorist come into the home and help out - that was eye opening - he pointed out that Radar didn't really have any rules and was trying to take over the home, if he would get excited about someone coming to the house we would pet him telling him it was okay to get excited/bark, which it wasn't we were reinforcing the negative behavior instead of disagreeing with it. we have worked on the leadership exercise's he suggested, and things like always eating something before him, making him sit and wait to get his food, petting etc. In the 2 weeks since he was there I have seen improvements in him he is listening to me again and taking cue's from us and seeing not only mom and dad as a leader but our 10 year old son as well.

I am by no means an expert, and I am not saying that all the change was the rabies shot (but he won't be getting another one without a titer test saying he needs it). You have gotten great advice but just a little about what we are going through as well.

It can be a long road but keep your head up and don't beat yourself up about what you did/didn't do in the past brush them off and start fresh with a new attitude, approach I think that is what I have learned most out of all of this - beating myself up for what was going on didn't do any of us any good.

YES! Unfortunately, no one would study that as rabies shot is the law and is "holy". BUT I have heard an overwhelming amount of anecdotal information about rabies shot changing a dog's personality like day and night. Some recover and go back to their normal self after some time and other never really do. I will not be giving Kira rabies shot for now, at least not until after a year of age (not at all if I figure out a way how to avoid it).

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
YES! Unfortunately, no one would study that as rabies shot is the law and is "holy". BUT I have heard an overwhelming amount of anecdotal information about rabies shot changing a dog's personality like day and night. Some recover and go back to their normal self after some time and other never really do. I will not be giving Kira rabies shot for now, at least not until after a year of age (not at all if I figure out a way how to avoid it).

I know that the rabies shot is law in most states. I have convinced my vet to do a titer test before we do another rabies shot - if he doesn't need it I am going to take a letter from my vet when I register him stating that he doesn't need the update that he is fully protected and see if that works, if it doesn't I will request a mercury free shot. I know that there is a group that is just in the final stages of their research on the rabies shot trying to prove that it doesn't need to be given as often as everyone thinks so that states can update their laws

Most Reactions