Is there a way to deter nuisance barking?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella doesn't bark a lot, really. She doesn't bark at the doorbell or knocks, thankfully. She usually barks when she's annoyed, like when she wants to get out of her playpen or on the couch or something like that. In these situations, I walk away and she stops pretty quickly.

But, today I had an office desk delivered and she wouldn't stop barking at the large box. I get it, they can be OCD. The big box was different and weird, prompting the barking. But, I'd like to be able to say, "Enough!" and she stop barking. Am I asking too much?

How would you train for this? I said, "Good girl" and gave a treat when she paused, but it didn't seem to have much effect, as she started up again.

Any thoughts?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yes, you have the right idea: when Bella stops barking, at that instant, praise and give treat. Of course she will start barking again after that b/c this has to be done consistently and will take practice and time so just keep at it.

Another trick i've heard from a trainer is to use an air horn for excessive barking.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you! Is it counter productive to put her in her crate (not large playpen, but smaller wire crate) in another room if she continues the barking?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you! Is it counter productive to put her in her crate (not large playpen, but smaller wire crate) in another room if she continues the barking?

i think so b/c Bella may think of this as a form of punishment and I don't think the crate ought to be used for that.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
i think so b/c Bella may think of this as a form of punishment and I don't think the crate ought to be used for that.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just wanted it confirmed...because it's really tempting! Thanks again!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Henny totally has you cover with great advice....

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I agree, Christine! One of the many reason I love this place. Hey, quick question about the air horns... I live in a townhouse. Are they loud enough to disturb my neighbors?

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I do think that it starts with relationship and expectations. Kira tried to bark twice total. Once in her crate. She sleeps at night in her crate on the main floor while our bedroom is upstairs. Few days ago she was not sleepy at 11:00pm (our time to go to bed) and when I went upstairs I have heard her yapping. Mind you, (for the record, before telling the rest of the story) Kira is spoiled rotten never ever ever hit dog, BUT I do have a very clear boundaries with her and consistently make my high expectations and boundaries very clear to her, through our love, connection and training. So I got pretty p*ssed hearing that she all of the sudden decided to bark in her crate. I first took her out (just to make sure that she did not urgently need to go poo or something) and then put her back in the crate immediately after. As soon as I went upstairs she started barking again. I went to the cage (and she was super excited thinking that I'd take her out again), opened it, and when she was just about to head out of the crate, I stuck my head half way in the crate and gave her one blood freezing GROWL. Her body language was very clearly showing that she understood that she just totally p*ssed off the leader of the pack. Closed the cage and left. That was that. And the second time, I was sitting in my computer chair and talking on the phone. She wanted to get on the chair and started barking (while putting her forelegs on the chair). It was very hard for me to focus to continue this important conversation on the phone while trying to move her away from the chair and listening her barking. When I finally finished the call, I was SO READY for that blood freezing growl right into her face (because I was pretty p*ssed after minutes of trying to talk through her barking). Once again, she reacted very appropriately to what her reaction would have been had she received this growl from the alfa dog. That was the end of barking for us. Correction of ANY behavioral issue must always start with shifting relationship and making your expectations and boundaries very clear to the dog.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I do think that it starts with relationship and expectations. Kira tried to bark twice total. Once in her crate. She sleeps at night in her crate on the main floor while our bedroom is upstairs. Few days ago she was not sleepy at 11:00pm (our time to go to bed) and when I went upstairs I have heard her yapping. Mind you, (for the record, before telling the rest of the story) Kira is spoiled rotten never ever ever hit dog, BUT I do have a very clear boundaries with her and consistently make my high expectations and boundaries very clear to her, through our love, connection and training. So I got pretty p*ssed hearing that she all of the sudden decided to bark in her crate. I first took her out (just to make sure that she did not urgently need to go poo or something) and then put her back in the crate immediately after. As soon as I went upstairs she started barking again. I went to the cage (and she was super excited thinking that I'd take her out again), opened it, and when she was just about to head out of the crate, I stuck my head half way in the crate and gave her one blood freezing GROWL. Her body language was very clearly showing that she understood that she just totally p*ssed off the leader of the pack. Closed the cage and left. That was that. And the second time, I was sitting in my computer chair and talking on the phone. She wanted to get on the chair and started barking (while putting her forelegs on the chair). It was very hard for me to focus to continue this important conversation on the phone while trying to move her away from the chair and listening her barking. When I finally finished the call, I was SO READY for that blood freezing growl right into her face (because I was pretty p*ssed after minutes of trying to talk through her barking). Once again, she reacted very appropriately to what her reaction would have been had she received this growl from the alfa dog. That was the end of barking for us. Correction of ANY behavioral issue must always start with shifting relationship and making your expectations and boundaries very clear to the dog.

Thank you!! This is excellent.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.