maxsmom

Feb 8, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hi everyone!

First I wanted to say thank you to everyone for all of the posts and info! I can't tell you how much you have all helped me over the last few weeks with my new little guy Max. He's my first bully and he's wonderful.

Max is now 13 weeks old and has learned very quickly. He live in an apartment downtown and he was pad tried in the first week, and we are almost done transitioning to potty outside. He's learned sit, stay come, down, paw, fetch and walks on a lead fabulously.

Unfortunately I'm having some difficulty with biting and barking. He has lots of toys and goes on a walk twice a day but after we do our after work walk and dinner he gets into hyper bite mode and he's after toes and hands. I have tried positive reinforcement, teach new tricks and play to tucker him out but somehow my bf and I end up chew toys. Anyone have suggestions? We have tried no as well as toys that challenge. I always follow Cesar's excercising discipline attention but the hyper starts the biting and then the barking and no matter how much redirecting I do, Max goes back to the toes. It seems to work for a bit then he's back at it and when he can't get after your toes, he barks like its the end of the world.

Requesting the help from all of you and your experience. Thank you so much for welcoming me to your community!

Instagram

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 124

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
I feel your pain! My 1st baby is SO smart and learns very quickly, but after trying, literally, everything she would still go after feet, and pants. We started spraying her with water when she doesn't stop after getting the No sign (she's deaf), and now she will walk right beside me and stare at my feet, but she won't bite them :)

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
This is what we call the shark phase and usually is done around 6-9 months old, say no, throw or shake a can with something in it to make noise ie coins or unpopped popcorn. Water bottle and spray while saying no - distract and offer a toy / redirection.
Once again this is normal and in time and with everyone being consistent the behavior will go away.
Maximus sure is a looker - Congrats and :hiii::welcome: so glad you joined EBN

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yeah, it's kind of a pain. My Bella is 4 months and she's just now becoming enjoyable. She's biting much less than before and we can enjoy more quality time together. The advice you've been given is great. Be consistent and the dog will outgrow this behavior. Good luck!

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
As others have said just be consistent and offer him other things to chew one. He will eventually outgrow this behavior. Maximus is a beautiful looking pup! Boris only knows how to sit, stay and sometimes come. He's the most stubborn dog I've ever worked with, but i find it very cute.

Best of luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you just have to stay with it.... I currently have a 15 week old and he is a monster chewer.... we have toys ALL over the hosue so we can redirect at all times and yes, he still goes for toes, hands and ears --- we just keep placing a toy in his mouth.

OP
maxsmom

maxsmom

Feb 8, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thanks everyone for the advice! Good to know I'm not alone when it comes to sore toes - I only hope I still have them in 3 or 4 months!

We we shall persist. Thanks again. =)

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
Thanks everyone for the advice! Good to know I'm not alone when it comes to sore toes - I only hope I still have them in 3 or 4 months!

We we shall persist. Thanks again. =)
Good luck! My big girl has crazed manic moments, she had one tonight, and tried to run away with my husband's pinky toe...he squealed like a girl, I laughed like a hyena, and Penny got sprayed with water.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
What saved us from the biting puppy stage is plenty of Bitter Apple. I'd spray it on my hands, and toes. Just anywhere on me that Blue would go for. He hates the taste of it and would always back off.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.