General Question Puppy Hates Clothing

Omarable

Feb 9, 2015
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Davey
So our Davey hates when clothes is put on him. When I put a sweater on he instantly freezes and doesn't move a muscle until I take it off. It's a great method for calming him down but I want to see him enjoy cute sweaters and costumes on holidays. Has anyone's dog experiences this before and how can you get them to see it as a positive rather than hate it?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It's unfortunately probably his personality which is hard to change. I had dogs that couldn't care less, then Tyson is the same Davey - he hates it. I've never been able to get him to wear anything. He'll freeze just like you say, and won't move or he'll try relentlessly to get it off. Stubborn little guy, good luck with that bc I never found anything with him where he would allow it. And I tried everything, different materials, sizes, cuts, etc. Nada.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Boris was terrible with wearing jackets and vests when we first got him. We used a walking harness as entry level clothing just so he could get used to something on his chest. Once he was comfortable wearing the harness we started to use jackets and vests. He does a really good job now when wearing his jacket, but it was not an easy thing to get him used to. He still has days where he will just lock up and do nothing once its on, but its a rare occasion.

Link to harness: Amazon.com : Authentic Puppia Soft Dog Harness, Red - Medium : Pet Leashes : Pet Supplies

best of luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
all three of my guys hate clothes too..... Cheli actually will not move when we place a jacket on him -- I gave up

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue goes lethargic with anything on him (including a collar). He's always been like this so I don't force him to wear clothes. Why put him through the stress ...ya know?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.