oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hi, everyone. New to the forum, but have been reading since we got Duchess in October. We have had some medical complications and this board has been a wealth of info...so thanks!

Anyway, Duchess has somehow forgotten the concept of sleep. She is generally very active, but the last week she refuses to go to bed at night. She will be dead asleep on our lap on the couch, and then we put her into bed and she becomes possessed. Jumping, barking, biting. It's been a two hour battle almost every night. She used to just curl up and go to bed between my legs.

Any and all advice appreciated.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Do you put her in a crate at night, or does she sleep in the bed w/you?!!

One surefire way to get her to sleep is to have a playtime to wear her out before bedtime… tug-of-war or something in the house.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Our Winnie did exactly that same thing--it's so annoying! She sleeps with us and I finally told her I would have to put her in the crate, and if she didn't calm down immediately I did put her in the crate for about ten minutes. That was usually enough to calm her down. Winnie is almost 8 months old now and she is just (maybe 2 weeks ago) started going to sleep right away when we get in bed. It sure is nice! Duchess will outgrow the bedtime playtime for sure, just hang in there.

OP
O

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Thanks for the replies! Good to know she might grow out of it.

She sleeps in bed with us. We were not going to go that route, but one of the many medical issues she had was pneumonia at 9 weeks old. She was so upset not being with us, and trying to breathe, that the only way to get her to calm down enough to sleep was to bring her in bed with us. Once we did that, there was no going back.

We have been trying to wear her out, but she gets sleepy and then gets on the bed and it's like we never played at all. Although, last night she went right to bed. Maybe she was just having an off week. She also gets spayed next week, so maybe that will help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau has started the samething last week.... he is just under 4 months. What I do is place a few of his chew toys in the bed at my feet, I ignore him.... he plays for about 15 mins with them, then next thing you know he is in his spot next to me out cold

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thanks for the replies! Good to know she might grow out of it.

She sleeps in bed with us. We were not going to go that route, but one of the many medical issues she had was pneumonia at 9 weeks old. She was so upset not being with us, and trying to breathe, that the only way to get her to calm down enough to sleep was to bring her in bed with us. Once we did that, there was no going back.

We have been trying to wear her out, but she gets sleepy and then gets on the bed and it's like we never played at all. Although, last night she went right to bed. Maybe she was just having an off week. She also gets spayed next week, so maybe that will help!

My girl used to do this too she's 8month now and just started to chill out at bed time - she too had pneumonia at 10 weeks old and would get upset when she wasn't with us what we did in the end was put her crate at the side of our bed so she could still see us then when she decided it was play time and not bed time we would put her in there to settle her down for 5-10minutes that seem to work, she wouldn't get herself all upset and struggle with her breathing cause she could still see us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omarable

Feb 9, 2015
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Davey
Davey does the same thing! They say its adolescence...

A chew toy in bed really help. A Nylabone or a Kong so she can play with it for a few minutes and realize "mom & dad are sleeping.. this is boring... I should sleep too."

Other than wearing her out though, when they sleep in bed with you it's the price to pay. We just switched back to crating him at night and we had to put the crate in the living room rather than the bedroom so we couldn't hear him cry. She will get used to it an realize that it's a routine. Just takes a while. Stick with it!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Puppies have crazy spurts of energy at odd times. I think she'll grow out of it. Ruckus used to go crazy with excitement if you put your shoes on because he wanted to play with the laces. Now he coexists peacefully with foot ware. :-)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie is 8 months old now and she now settles in right between us and goes right to sleep. I answered this thread a while back when she was still spazzing out at bedtime. Sometimes she likes to suck on a stuffy to fall asleep, but sometimes she goes right to sleep. "Yay!" is all I can say!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.