Thread: Teaching a 7 mo to lay down?

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Teaching a 7 mo to lay down?

She sits and stays and comes most of the time but I cannot get her to lay down! Any tips?

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Teaching a 7 mo to lay down?

In the sitting position, hold a treat in your hand and hold it to Bella's nose. Slowly lower your hand with the treat to the ground, and say the command "down". The idea is that Bella will follow the treat and eventually lay down. When she does this, reward her with the treat right away.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snickle View Post
    She sits and stays and comes most of the time but I cannot get her to lay down! Any tips?
    I totally agree with the previous post! Let her nose to all the work and her body will follow. That is how we got Goob to lay down, crawl, and roll over. Treats Treats Treats!!!! Also, if you have someone else there helping you with the training, that's best! When we taught Goob to high five, my husband was in front, giving him the command and he would touch the paw we wanted Goob to high five with. I would then lift that paw and I would help Goob give a high five. After several minutes of this training, he did it all by himself.

Goob is awesome! He knows how to: sit, lay down, shake (right paw), speak, roll over, high five, (left paw), wait, come (most of the time), drop it, and turn around (jump and spin). Now, if we can only teach him to be nice to strangers....that's been challenging but we are still impressed with his tricks.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    In the sitting position, hold a treat in your hand and hold it to Bella's nose. Slowly lower your hand with the treat to the ground, and say the command "down". The idea is that Bella will follow the treat and eventually lay down. When she does this, reward her with the treat right away.
    Perfect explanation ^^^^
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Oh she just lifts her bum up if I do that and sticks her head down. I started using her leash and pulling her down and I put my other leg on her to keep her bum down... I think she's starting to get it... My husband works out of town so it's usually just me...

Real Name
    Leslie
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola, Floyd
    Likes (Received)

We have been having troubles with that command with both Lola and Floyd. We are currently in puppy classes and the instructor can't seem to get them to do it either. Best of luck!!!

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

My technique seemed to work!!!! She's laying down with only two tries but I need to keep my hand on her bum but she has the concept! Yay!

Real Name
    Olga
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Davey
    Likes (Received)

We had the same problem with Davey. What worked for us was that every time he was laying down, without us commanding him, we would click & treat. So if he walked over to his bed and laid down to take a nap or even play with a toy, we clicked his clicker and gave him a treat. He quickly learned that laying down was a good thing and eventually he got the hang of it. We also put him in the sitting position and put a treat down to the floor and he started to get the command then. Make sure you move the treat straight down and not forward because she will then have to get up to reach the toy.

We still can't get Davey to lay down just by saying the word, we have to use the hand motion but it's better than nothing.

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

They all have their own ideas.lol.Our boy will sit, lay down, shake and usually roll over and my dad taught him to say hungry.Our girl will sit, shake but that's it.I'm teaching her to stay now.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

We went over this in puppy class last night. The teacher said to lower the treat from in front of her nose, while gently pushing on the spot between her shoulderblades. It works with Bella. I have one week (before the next class) to get her to do it by command.
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I had hard time with this command with Voitto. What worked for us was that I was sitting on the floor so that I took the treat under my leg and Voitto followed and had to lay down to get under my leg and the second he was down...command and treat....hard to explain....here's a pic...Voitto of course is about 20kg heavier....

-dsc_0046-jpg

Country
    en_Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    I had hard time with this command with Voitto. What worked for us was that I was sitting on the floor so that I took the treat under my leg and Voitto followed and had to lay down to get under my leg and the second he was down...command and treat....hard to explain....here's a pic...Voitto of course is about 20kg heavier....

-dsc_0046-jpg
    This worked like magic for us. Norman would always stick out his bum everytime we tried to get him to lay. Our puppy class instructor offered this technique and within two days norman was able to go down by himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads