Teaching a 7 mo to lay down?

snickle

Jan 31, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
She sits and stays and comes most of the time but I cannot get her to lay down! Any tips?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
In the sitting position, hold a treat in your hand and hold it to Bella's nose. Slowly lower your hand with the treat to the ground, and say the command "down". The idea is that Bella will follow the treat and eventually lay down. When she does this, reward her with the treat right away.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
She sits and stays and comes most of the time but I cannot get her to lay down! Any tips?

I totally agree with the previous post! Let her nose to all the work and her body will follow. That is how we got Goob to lay down, crawl, and roll over. Treats Treats Treats!!!! Also, if you have someone else there helping you with the training, that's best! When we taught Goob to high five, my husband was in front, giving him the command and he would touch the paw we wanted Goob to high five with. I would then lift that paw and I would help Goob give a high five. After several minutes of this training, he did it all by himself.

Goob is awesome! He knows how to: sit, lay down, shake (right paw), speak, roll over, high five, (left paw), wait, come (most of the time), drop it, and turn around (jump and spin). Now, if we can only teach him to be nice to strangers....that's been challenging but we are still impressed with his tricks:yes:.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In the sitting position, hold a treat in your hand and hold it to Bella's nose. Slowly lower your hand with the treat to the ground, and say the command "down". The idea is that Bella will follow the treat and eventually lay down. When she does this, reward her with the treat right away.

Perfect explanation ^^^^

OP
S

snickle

Jan 31, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Oh she just lifts her bum up if I do that and sticks her head down. I started using her leash and pulling her down and I put my other leg on her to keep her bum down... I think she's starting to get it... My husband works out of town so it's usually just me...

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
We have been having troubles with that command with both Lola and Floyd. We are currently in puppy classes and the instructor can't seem to get them to do it either. Best of luck!!!

OP
S

snickle

Jan 31, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My technique seemed to work!!!! She's laying down with only two tries but I need to keep my hand on her bum but she has the concept! Yay!

Omarable

Feb 9, 2015
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Davey
We had the same problem with Davey. What worked for us was that every time he was laying down, without us commanding him, we would click & treat. So if he walked over to his bed and laid down to take a nap or even play with a toy, we clicked his clicker and gave him a treat. He quickly learned that laying down was a good thing and eventually he got the hang of it. We also put him in the sitting position and put a treat down to the floor and he started to get the command then. Make sure you move the treat straight down and not forward because she will then have to get up to reach the toy.

We still can't get Davey to lay down just by saying the word, we have to use the hand motion but it's better than nothing.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
They all have their own ideas.lol.Our boy will sit, lay down, shake and usually roll over and my dad taught him to say hungry.Our girl will sit, shake but that's it.I'm teaching her to stay now.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We went over this in puppy class last night. The teacher said to lower the treat from in front of her nose, while gently pushing on the spot between her shoulderblades. It works with Bella. I have one week (before the next class) to get her to do it by command. :pray:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I had hard time with this command with Voitto. What worked for us was that I was sitting on the floor so that I took the treat under my leg and Voitto followed and had to lay down to get under my leg and the second he was down...command and treat....hard to explain....here's a pic...Voitto of course is about 20kg heavier....

DSC_0046.jpg

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
I had hard time with this command with Voitto. What worked for us was that I was sitting on the floor so that I took the treat under my leg and Voitto followed and had to lay down to get under my leg and the second he was down...command and treat....hard to explain....here's a pic...Voitto of course is about 20kg heavier....

View attachment 83772

This worked like magic for us. Norman would always stick out his bum everytime we tried to get him to lay. Our puppy class instructor offered this technique and within two days norman was able to go down by himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.