URGENT!!! buddha doesnt do so well with kids i need help !!!

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
hey guys so i have a problem, so where do i even begin so buddha loves kids.the problem that we are having is that when guest come over with small children he gets so excited and jumpes on them and wraps him arms around him and gives this little growl its so scary but his tail is wiggling and to me it seems like he wants to play . idk what to do its only happen once so now i know that when children come to the house i have to put him in the room because im scared that he can push him over not him bitting a child but for him to knock them over hes a big guy (65pounds) and he will only do it for children ages 7 and under. i realize now that when he was a puppy there were never really small children around besides my brother that was already like 8 years old. even when we go on car rides he sees small children and i see him look at him start wiggling he gets so antsy. can someone help us please. i want to try and prevent something from happening my biggest fear is for him to do this to a stranger child and have this become a horrible problem -

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
We have rolled up newspapers lying around. We keep 4 or 5 on the table beside the door. Someone comes in they get one. We act like they will get a whippen and they stop jumping. Normally after someone new comes in after 5 minutes the guest becomes old news. How old is Buddha?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My girl, Banks, was this exact same way... she could not control herself around children. What we did, taught by a trainer, was placed her on lead (harness and leash) in the house and tied her to either a railing or one of us until all the kids were in the house and she settled down. she slowly woud gain access to the kids and if she started to get to hyper we correct her with a lead pull and place her in a sit position -- reward with a treat and have one of the kids give it to her.

it is a long process but you can get Buddha there.... the harder part is getting the kids to cooperate. Locking Buddha in a room where he can not see but knows they are there can add to his issue with control.... just work with him, get him tired before kids come over, walks, play time and then lead him till they are all settled in and he knows 'hey, I can just go walk up to them.

Banks was like this for about a year maybe more, but she loved kids almost as much as her meals, she just wanted to be with them. and, my neices and nephews loved her just as much and knew if they wanted to be with her, they had to do as we instructed. It all worked out very well in time.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My girl, Banks, was this exact same way... she could not control herself around children. What we did, taught by a trainer, was placed her on lead (harness and leash) in the house and tied her to either a railing or one of us until all the kids were in the house and she settled down. she slowly woud gain access to the kids and if she started to get to hyper we correct her with a lead pull and place her in a sit position -- reward with a treat and have one of the kids give it to her.

it is a long process but you can get Buddha there.... the harder part is getting the kids to cooperate. Locking Buddha in a room where he can not see but knows they are there can add to his issue with control.... just work with him, get him tired before kids come over, walks, play time and then lead him till they are all settled in and he knows 'hey, I can just go walk up to them.

Banks was like this for about a year maybe more, but she loved kids almost as much as her meals, she just wanted to be with them. and, my neices and nephews loved her just as much and knew if they wanted to be with her, they had to do as we instructed. It all worked out very well in time.

I agree w/Christine… Keep him on a leash until he calms down, then allow him to be around the kids. Wally has been rough w/my grandson a couple of times and I've had to nip this in the bud immediately. I think they get SO excited and don't realize their strength. Of course sometimes I think that Marcus encourages the craziness so I have to watch both of them like a hawk… Lol

OP
Brenda Janeth Solano
Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)

thank you im def going to try this next time small children come over or maybe i can see if someone is willing to come over once a week with their child until buddha becomes familiar. thank you so much for giving me hope i really though hes just a pup that cant be around kids im hoping he can learn to control himself ill keep u up to date on the progress

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

Absolutely the best advice ever!! We do the same exact thing and it really works. Locking him in a room isn't teaching him anything. You want him to be able to interact with everyone. It is a long process and a bit of a pain in the butt, but it will be worth it when you have an angel who does not jump.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online