Need help with 4 month old messing in her crate!

amanda111m

Mar 23, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley May
My 4 month old Penelope Lou has been messing her in her crate a lot! But it only is at night. She doesn't have any accidents in the house or in her crate during the day. Her last meal is at 5 pm and she is taken out to potty several times before she gos to bed at 9-10 pm but every morning when I wake up between 6-7 there is a mess in her crate. She also does not bark or whine to let me know she needs to go out, and does not let me know after she has done it. In thinking about doing away with her crate, and getting one of the big puppy exercise pens, then at night put a puppy pad Down in there for her? Any tips and help with this would be much appreciated!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would set your alarm and take her out once during the night. Maybe around 3am. Do that a few days then stretch it to 4 am, if that is working good go to 5am for a couple of weeks, then go to 6 am, ect.

8+ hours is a long time for her to hold it at this age. Rule of thumb is 2 hours plus age in months, so the most she would be able to hold it is 6 hours.

Also is her crate too big for her? They are better at holding it if there is only enough room for them to sleep and turn around comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with Bullmama. I've heard that same rule of thumb as 1 hour + age in months, so the most you could expect is 5 hours.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with Bullmama. I've heard that same rule of thumb as 1 hour + age in months, so the most you could expect is 5 hours.

agreed ^^^ I currently have a 12 wk old pup. Last out is midnight and we are up at 4:30AM for his next potty.... age in months plus 1 is your guideline. So at 4 mths... you are pushing 5 hours best for no accidents. Also, remove the crate pads.... our guy will pee on the pad if we leave it in there regardless of time frame.

OP
A

amanda111m

Mar 23, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley May
Ok thank you!! I will try this and hopefully it will solve our issue!

lizzie

Aug 21, 2014
Livermore, CA
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
I totally agree bullmama with setting your alarm. had to do that even after I thought Charlie was potty trained. He also never barks at me to go out during the day, so I have to keep an eye on that. I would make the puppy pads your very last resort.

USMCBulldog

Jan 24, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
My 4 month old Penelope Lou has been messing her in her crate a lot! But it only is at night. She doesn't have any accidents in the house or in her crate during the day. Her last meal is at 5 pm and she is taken out to potty several times before she gos to bed at 9-10 pm but every morning when I wake up between 6-7 there is a mess in her crate. She also does not bark or whine to let me know she needs to go out, and does not let me know after she has done it. In thinking about doing away with her crate, and getting one of the big puppy exercise pens, then at night put a puppy pad Down in there for her? Any tips and help with this would be much appreciated!!!

Mochi does this too sometimes. Looks like a poop tornado hit while we were sleeping.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.