Doggie discipline

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Is it ever ok to be a little bit aggressive in your discipline? When I say aggressive obviously I don't mean hurting the dog. I mean holding the dog down when he's getting too nippy/excited, or holding his mouth shut, etc. I heard some people even use biting their ear...

Is this type of 'alpha male' discipline appropriate and effective?

Sometimes the constant 'No!' and Ow's' we give our pup doesn't seem to resonate with him as he'll keep nipping away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have never don't the nipping and biting myself, but I have had to pin/hold Harlea down when she has gotten out of hand before. When she gets snotty with my daughter she rolls her over on her back until she relaxes and calms down.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Some people use a squirt bottle, some a can with coins, or rocks in it-to shake and make noise. I just kept saying "no bite" and sticking a nylabone in their mouth. I also had a pen in the kitchen for naptime, when they got too wound up.At times, like little kids, when they are over tired-they get worse! I never used their crate for punishment.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Good question that I've been wondering as well. I grab Bella's cheek and say "Leave it!" or "No bite!" when she bites and grabs onto something inappropriate. I wonder if that's too aggressive.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, it is fine.... 'submitting' the dog is part of correction that a dog would do to another. Just don't be too rough that you would scare or hurt them. My b'f tried the biting on the ear/neck (kind of a nibble)... I do not think it worked, but Banks was a tough one to break. I would not hold the mouth shut,,, but what I do is push the jowl into the mouth so they bit themseleves... that sometimes works.

Have you tried redirection -- whent hey bit or try to on you... place a toy in his mouth?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Is it ever ok to be a little bit aggressive in your discipline? When I say aggressive obviously I don't mean hurting the dog. I mean holding the dog down when he's getting too nippy/excited, or holding his mouth shut, etc. I heard some people even use biting their ear...

Is this type of 'alpha male' discipline appropriate and effective?

Sometimes the constant 'No!' and Ow's' we give our pup doesn't seem to resonate with him as he'll keep nipping away.

well we have done the pin down thing and it seems to aggitate Frankie more. I have had luck with leashing him and making him follow commands with reward for listening. In my experience, the calmer I remain, the better the dog trains. I am a huge fan of leash training. I have found that having the dog directly by my side and having to follow each command with reward immediately following really successful. If your pup is acting out, leash him and give him a tug and firm no and make him sit. When he does this, in this order, give reward. Repeat as necessary and you will see results.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Yes, it is fine.... 'submitting' the dog is part of correction that a dog would do to another. Just don't be too rough that you would scare or hurt them. My b'f tried the biting on the ear/neck (kind of a nibble)... I do not think it worked, but Banks was a tough one to break. I would not hold the mouth shut,,, but what I do is push the jowl into the mouth so they bit themseleves... that sometimes works.

Have you tried redirection -- whent hey bit or try to on you... place a toy in his mouth?
We tried to "bite" brutus also. He looked confused, then charged us and bit back!!! so much for that crap!

OP
slowly

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman

Yes, we've tried the redirection thing which works occasionally.

I hope this biting stage goes away soon. We've had him since 9 weeks (he's 4 months now). Sometimes I feel like he's making progress as when we play he sort of mouths off a little as he's heading for a bite (doesn't actually bite). I know he knows he shouldn't be biting. Other times he'll get super excited/rambunctious and nothing will stop him from biting (we put him in his timeout corner to settle down).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I hope this biting stage goes away soon. We've had him since 9 weeks (he's 4 months now). Sometimes I feel like he's making progress as when we play he sort of mouths off a little as he's heading for a bite (doesn't actually bite). I know he knows he shouldn't be biting. Other times he'll get super excited/rambunctious and nothing will stop him from biting (we put him in his timeout corner to settle down).

6 months.... that is when all the teething should be finished

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

You and I are in the same boat. I got Bella at 9 weeks and she is exactly 15 weeks today. Her biting has gotten a little more manageable, but it's still really bad. It used to be frantic bite after bite after bite. Now it's more decisive biting. I just hold onto the fact that it will end. It's frustrating because sometimes it feels like you can't play with your dog. "Play" consists of 60 seconds of actual play and then constant "No bite!" commands.

Keep at it. It'll turn around, I'm sure.

Roxy1080

Feb 18, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy & Winston
When mine were pups, each time they would bite while playing I would yell "OUCH!" loudly and stomp away acting like they had hurt me. Sometimes I would have to lock myself in another room if they were super antsy. They learned that if they got nippy while we were playing together, I went away and playing was no fun anymore. It can get frustrating and annoying to have to stomp away constantly in the beginning stages, but eventually they both calmed down. Roxy is 5 1/2 and hasn't gotten nippy in years. Winston is just over a year and gets a little excited sometimes, but I normally have to just say "ouch" now and he'll calm down. The toy replacement thing works well too if they aren't super excited. Things will get better!

B

Baxter Tiberius

The "Ouch" method works better than any other in my opinion.

They dont know they're hurting you. When they DONT hear an ouch (like if they bite a pillow) they know thats okay to put pressure on. Soon they are able to differentiate between your skin and everything else really well.

-B-

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
teach your dog an incompatible behavior, so he can't bite.

Ex. if he wants to play, he should have a toy in his mouth. Offer him the toy. If he drops it, or doesn't chose to play with that, ignore his attempts to get your attention.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
We tried to "bite" brutus also. He looked confused, then charged us and bit back!!! so much for that crap!
ahahahahhahah! That made me laugh out loud in the office!

Izzy gets mad too if I bite her... she will look confused at first... then stares at me and bites me back (at least tries to). I always do when we are playing.... never trying to discipline her.

Chanelle13

Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Romulan & Roscoe
i know this is an older post.. but with Rom I tried EVERYTHING!! he was a rambunctious little guy.. always biting! we tried the spray bottle with water and he ended up loving that and trying to chew on it.. eventually I would roll him over on his side or back and hold him there until he was calm and then let him go and that usually helped!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.