We're soooo confused!

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
'Short' version of the backstory: With immaculate help, we've established Chubbs has resource guarding (food, water and toys... okay and 2 seconds ago it has upgraded to his leash.) The water even includes ice cubes! So We only hand feed. If we put his food in a container on the floor... watch out! However, in a container and he can still see while hand feeding... submission & full body shaking (4 people have seen the videos I took of the shaking so I'm anxiously waiting for their responses.)

During 2 separate feedings my cats (2) have come and checked things out. The first time it was just the 4 yo cat and Chubbs seemed to not acknowledge him. The second time was this morning. Both cats came over. I let them sniff Chubbs' food and he just laid there wondering why. He didn't get up, growl, NOTHING.

So my question is why, if he has RG, does he let me hand feed and ignore the cats while eating? Same goes with drinking water, although now he drinks less because he expects a treat (puppy class.) So frustrating. [emoji45] [emoji174]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My guess -- he does not see the cats as a threat to his 'resources'. RG escalates quickly and the more he knows you are nervous or unsettled, the more 'things' enter his list of resources.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm not sure I understand the scenario... do I understand you correctly that the cats don't bother him when you're hand feeding but if he is eating out of his bowl then watch out because he's going to RG when the cats come over? Or is it that he doesn't RG at all with the cats in whichever method he's eating?

Dogs only RG when they see a competitor to a resource they think they own. If the resource is in your hand, then he wouldn't think he owns it because you've established that you're the boss of him. If the resource is not in your hand and he thinks he owns it and he doesn't give the RG reaction that means he does not see a resource competitor... This can be another dog or a cat or a human, etc., that he feels is the boss of him or he feels is too inferior to him and wouldn't dare challenge him or he feels comfortable enough to think they're not after anything he owns (like if the boss is around and he trusts that his boss is going to protect his stuff... or it could be that he just doesn't think the other dude is interested in his stuff).

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm not sure I understand the scenario... do I understand you correctly that the cats don't bother him when you're hand feeding but if he is eating out of his bowl then watch out because he's going to RG when the cats come over? Or is it that he doesn't RG at all with the cats in whichever method he's eating?

Dogs only RG when they see a competitor to a resource they think they own. If the resource is in your hand, then he wouldn't think he owns it because you've established that you're the boss of him. If the resource is not in your hand and he thinks he owns it and he doesn't give the RG reaction that means he does not see a resource competitor... This can be another dog or a cat or a human, etc., that he feels is the boss of him or he feels is too inferior to him and wouldn't dare challenge him or he feels comfortable enough to think they're not after anything he owns (like if the boss is around and he trusts that his boss is going to protect his stuff... or it could be that he just doesn't think the other dude is interested in his stuff).

Agreed. Also, since you've been hand feeding, perhaps you are finally getting the reward for doing so. He may be starting to understand that the food is yours. And you are sharing it with him. Not that it's his -and he should guard it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions