Help Needed! Toilet Training 6MO!

JessieG

Jan 10, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Jessie
Hi everyone,

This is my 1st post, we have a 6 month old EB, she's the loveliest little (!!) thing but I am really struggling with potty training. I've never had a dog before and I'm not doing a great job potty training. Jessie is great in the morning, she goes straight outside, pees, comes in for breakfast, we let her back out again and she will pee and poo. All great in the morning! I understand this is because of the regimented structure of this, I get that it is because it is exactly the same every morning, for the rest of the day I don't have the same repetition and I guess that's my problem. This is because every day of the week I have different things on with the kids, I'd say 90% of the time she will do her business outside! but every single day! every day(!!!!!) we have either a poo or pee accident, sometimes both!! I'm getting really stressed and upset about it now because I've literally been cleaning up poo and pee off my floor everyday for months!! I've got a 20 month old toddler too, so the last thing I really need is poo lying on my floor!

Sometimes she she will go to the back door (hardly ever actually barks or anything) but she will sometimes go to the door and sit waiting to go out, so I know she can do it, which makes it so annoying when she doesn't!!

Anyway, please help, any top tips!!

Thanks

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
She is still a baby, and it actually sounds like she is doing pretty well. A firm schedule is what they need, and when you are busy with the kids, you have answered your question-her schedule does not stay the same. That is probably the reason,her afternoons are erratic and doesn't have a reliable schedule. If you could keep her the best you can scheduled in the afternoons, eventually when she is fully trained- and a little older,she will manage better. Try your best to do that, so this won't become a lifetime habit. If you must leave-is there someone who could take her out for you?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You got your answer.... find a schedule for her and try to stay as close to it as possible. Also, keep in mind they can only hold for 1 hrs more than months old. They do at times, revert back and just a quick schedule correction gets them back on track. do you crate her when you are not at home... if yes, remove the bedding till she is fully trained

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi and welcome!

i recognize this might be difficult with the kiddos, but I think you should tether the pup to you until she's trustworthy enough to have free roam of your house. This way, you'll be able to catch her in the act. Basically, take it back to basics. That's what I would do. I really hope you find your answer. Please know that I understand your frustration. My first dog (Lhasa Apso) was peeing and pooping on the house for two years! It's annoying and stressful.

OP
J

JessieG

Jan 10, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Jessie
Thanks so so much everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it! I think to be honest I've bitten off more than I can chew, in hind-site we should have waited a year before getting her, but she's her now and we love her! I think I am going slowly crazy, but I'm sticking with it! We do create her and actually on the front she's great, sleeps there all night and is usually dry when we go out for a couple of hours, had the odd accident but rare. Today I've taken her out to the garden (in the pouring Glasgow rain!) after meals, play, sleep with treats and the clicker (and a screaming toddler cause mummy is outside!) and she's done literally nothing!!!! The tiniest pee which I made a big fuss of and gave treats, but nothing else, and she's had breakfast and lunch!! So I'm putting her back in the create for 10 minutes then trying again, which she's hating! The joy! I'm determined to do this, just not a clue how!! Will try to just focus on her for a while but it is really hard, it's literally a full-time job on it's own! And she's never been a chewer, but is currently trying to eat all the toys so I'm trying to keep her out of the playroom, which is where I actually am half the time!!! Ahhhh!!! Just want this bit to be over!! Anyone fancy a holiday to Glasgow to potty train my bully! Ha I need a nanny for the dog, not the kids!!!

Thanks again everyone, glad I found this forum, hoping you will all keep me sane!!

X

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks so so much everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it! I think to be honest I've bitten off more than I can chew, in hind-site we should have waited a year before getting her, but she's her now and we love her! I think I am going slowly crazy, but I'm sticking with it! We do create her and actually on the front she's great, sleeps there all night and is usually dry when we go out for a couple of hours, had the odd accident but rare. Today I've taken her out to the garden (in the pouring Glasgow rain!) after meals, play, sleep with treats and the clicker (and a screaming toddler cause mummy is outside!) and she's done literally nothing!!!! The tiniest pee which I made a big fuss of and gave treats, but nothing else, and she's had breakfast and lunch!! So I'm putting her back in the create for 10 minutes then trying again, which she's hating! The joy! I'm determined to do this, just not a clue how!! Will try to just focus on her for a while but it is really hard, it's literally a full-time job on it's own! And she's never been a chewer, but is currently trying to eat all the toys so I'm trying to keep her out of the playroom, which is where I actually am half the time!!! Ahhhh!!! Just want this bit to be over!! Anyone fancy a holiday to Glasgow to potty train my bully! Ha I need a nanny for the dog, not the kids!!!

Thanks again everyone, glad I found this forum, hoping you will all keep me sane!!

X

I am tired just reading all that! she is trying to wait you out... you do have it hard since you have the skin kid too, but try to stay out with her till she does something so she knows why she is out and she is not going in till she does her business. At 6 mths, she may not have to poo as much as when she was smaller, so not concerned there and she can hold her bladder for about 7 hrs now. also, keep in mind dogs have no understanding of time.. so 10 mins, 10 seconds, an hour... it is all the same to them which is why the schedule helps you with them not having accidents.

fingers and paws crossed for you... and a pet nanny is not a bad idea -- see if you can get a dog walker once a day , cause the toy chewing is because she is bored and coming into her toddler phase

OP
J

JessieG

Jan 10, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Jessie
Thanks 2bullymamma, I'm defo going to try a schedule/routine! I do have a dog walker on a Monday, (cause that's when I'm out for longest) could up it a bit! Do you mind if I also ask you, although it's nothing to do with toilet training, how do you clean the face folds. I have 2 problems here, 1 is that I clean with sensitive baby wipes or cotton wool and water, and they tend to come away clean but her folds are getting darker and don't look clean so I think I need to do more, this is obviously not working, the other thing is, I need 3 hands!! She snaps when I try to do it so 1 hand is closing her mouth, 1 is pulling open the fold so I don't have another hand left to actually wipe her!!

����

thanks again! X

OP
J

JessieG

Jan 10, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Jessie
OMG! She's just peed my floor!!! I honestly took my eyes off her for 1 minute!! So annoyed!! 2bullymama, just reading back your lovely reply again how often do you think I should be taking her out then if she can wait that long? Also, accidents, do you suggest just ignoring them or giving a row?

Thanks again so much!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks 2bullymamma, I'm defo going to try a schedule/routine! I do have a dog walker on a Monday, (cause that's when I'm out for longest) could up it a bit! Do you mind if I also ask you, although it's nothing to do with toilet training, how do you clean the face folds. I have 2 problems here, 1 is that I clean with sensitive baby wipes or cotton wool and water, and they tend to come away clean but her folds are getting darker and don't look clean so I think I need to do more, this is obviously not working, the other thing is, I need 3 hands!! She snaps when I try to do it so 1 hand is closing her mouth, 1 is pulling open the fold so I don't have another hand left to actually wipe her!!

🐶😜

thanks again! X

it could be from the last of teething .... give a tablespoon of plain greek yogurt once a day to help. i also use witch hazel to clean folds - it is a nature dry agent so it helps keep them dry

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG! She's just peed my floor!!! I honestly took my eyes off her for 1 minute!! So annoyed!! 2bullymama, just reading back your lovely reply again how often do you think I should be taking her out then if she can wait that long? Also, accidents, do you suggest just ignoring them or giving a row?

Thanks again so much!

ignore... any attention is 'attention'... just clean it up and take her out. we have a 11 wks old right now, but keep him on a 2 hr schedule when we are home with him... but as you were doing... as soon as play stops - take her out. at least, 30 mins after meals and as soon as she wakes up.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
please hang in there, once you have cracked it you will be rewarded 10 fold, bullys are hard to train....
but once your there you wont get a better breed of dog, i could list 100 things in seconds Y bullys are the
best.... you will find out for yourself and discover the love we have for our bulldogs....

oh diesel is 2 1/2 and he done like plastic, he still wee's on it. so my bully trained me to not leave plastic on the floor lol :pray:

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
She is just a baby, don't worry it will be better soon! Try getting what she considers a high value treat (cheese, her favorite dog biscuit, whatever she loves) that you only give her when she goes potty outside. She will want that treat and be more likely to alert you to take her out. You can also try getting a bell to hang on the door. Ring it with her nose when you take her out and she will soon realize that she can ring it herself to alert you.

On the topic of cleaning the folds, you should try to work on the snapping now when she is young. Since you say the cotton wipes come out clean it doesn't sound like she snaps because it hurts from an infection or anything, it sounds like she just doesn't like it. Try giving her treats during this grooming time and urge tell her no when she snaps. It's easy enough to hold her little snout now at 6 months, but you don't want her to snap at you or a vet when she's older.

Best of luck! I know it's stressful now (I lost a coffee table to the chewing jaws of my Ruckus when he was a puppy but now he's a well behaved young man) but you'll look back on it and laugh when she's older and calmer.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
please hang in there, once you have cracked it you will be rewarded 10 fold, bullys are hard to train....
but once your there you wont get a better breed of dog, i could list 100 things in seconds Y bullys are the
best.... you will find out for yourself and discover the love we have for our bulldogs....

oh diesel is 2 1/2 and he done like plastic, he still wee's on it. so my bully trained me to not leave plastic on the floor lol :pray:

:goodpost:

Carrie Katana

Jul 18, 2013
MIAMI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BROOKLYN, HARLEM
I was literally laughing out loud at this thread....too funny:lmao:....I think we all go through the frustrating moments hang in there, and know it will get easier....:assurred:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.