Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13

Thread: Strange Behavior

  1. #1
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Strange Behavior

    We've only had Wellie since September 20th, so not even four months yet but I've noticed something peculiar.

    Sometime in October, he was in a very deep sleep on the couch. I sat down and put my arm around him. He immediately woke up, ran across the couch like the devil was chasing him, and jumped down.
    It was so weird but I figured he's a really deep sleeper and I just startled him.

    Then in December, he had his palate/nare/neuter surgery. Instead of waking up slowly from the anesthesia, he woke right up, bolted and they had to chase him down. Similar to my experience back in October.

    Just now- he's on the couch fully awake. I see him licking/biting one area of his foot due to allergies. But that area is very red and irritated. So I go into the kitchen, get a cotton ball and pour some Malacetic Ultra on it. The hydrocortisone helps a lot.

    As I'm walking towards him, I start to reach out when I'm a foot or so away. He recoils and makes the most heart breaking sound. WTF could that have been about?
    It broke my heart.
    He's not an abused dog, nor has he ever been so that can't be it. But for whatever reason, I scared him.

    I'm starting to wonder if it's a neurological issue? Has anyone ever had, or heard of something similar.


  2. #2
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
    Posts
    1,437
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)
    940

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    That is so weird--I can't think of any reason for that behavior. I have known dogs who would snap at people who woke them out of a good sleep, but it doesn't seem to be the same as Wellie's issue. I would also be thinking that it could be neurological, but I've never had experience with this. Have you had Wellie since he was a puppy?

  3. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    Nope, we got him in September when he was 13 months old.

    I really don't t believe he was abused. I even have pictures of him and his previous owners. The husband did not want to give him up and keeps calling Steve (our dog trainer) asking about him. The wife didn't want him though.
    We think it had to do with medical bills. Sick bulldogs can get expensive.


  4. #4
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,725
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5570

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    Hmm… that is odd. Maybe ask the vet about it… he could of had a bad experience at the vets or something. Some dogs are just super deep sleepers and get startled very easily.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  5. #5
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    brutus77's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    6,959
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)
    2790

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    I find part of you post very interesting. You say the husband didn't want to give him up but the wife did. Does Wellie display this behavior to Chris? I'm thinking the wife was less than friendly to Wellie and it took its toll. Just my guess though. I would try some kind of "therapy" with Wellie. Maybe you can ask your trainer what you personally can do to make Wellie more comfortable with you.
    My smooshy face boy!

  6. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    I find part of you post very interesting. You say the husband didn't want to give him up but the wife did. Does Wellie display this behavior to Chris? I'm thinking the wife was less than friendly to Wellie and it took its toll. Just my guess though. I would try some kind of "therapy" with Wellie. Maybe you can ask your trainer what you personally can do to make Wellie more comfortable with you.
    I know what you mean Rosalie, the thought about the wife doing something crossed my mind too.

    But Wellie and I did bond. He brings me his toys every morning and afternoon to play with, he started cuddling up to me at night (this is an issue for Blue..lol.) He cries for a few minutes when I leave the apartment (this is per Chris).. but he cries when Chris leaves too, and he's never shown fear before..

    I dunno.. it's just so weird..


  7. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    @ddnene speaking of trainers.. that's another issue I'm having. Their trainer is very good, no doubt about that. It's getting in touch with him that's become difficult lately.


  8. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11490

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    I am with you Ellie... seems neurological. Try talking to him as you approah when in that situation again... see if it makes a differnece. The sleeping part could have just been a deep sleep and startled him -- I did that to Banks countless times and had a fat lip once from it (she head-butted me when she jumped up)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #9
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I am with you Ellie... seems neurological. Try talking to him as you approah when in that situation again... see if it makes a differnece. The sleeping part could have just been a deep sleep and startled him -- I did that to Banks countless times and had a fat lip once from it (she head-butted me when she jumped up)
    OUCH.. I can see Wellie doing the same thing.. fat lip, or even bloody nose.. ack.

    It didn't end after the incident. Someone got too close to our door and he wouldn't stop barking, and then growling. He sat there for a good 10 minutes and nothing I tried doing distracted him. I think he may have been stressed after what happened with me.
    But after that, he went back to his goofy, lovable self ..


  10. #10
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldozersma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kori
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,289
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    I could be completely off, I'm just going to throw out what happened with my first bulldog, Bulldozer, in a hope it may help you. Bulldozer began losing his hearing and sight at a fairly young age - as his symptoms began to progress he would get very sensitive to motions above him that he didn't fully "see", and because of his hearing he would sleep so deeply that sometimes he would be startled when waking up from a deep sleep.
    Have you noticed any changes in Wellie's response to you when calling him or trying to get his attention?

    Bulldozer lived a very long and happy life even after completely losing both senses, but it was good I was able to catch it early and work with him during the loss of them.
    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.


    James Hond, My Sunshine



  11. #11
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozersma View Post
    I could be completely off, I'm just going to throw out what happened with my first bulldog, Bulldozer, in a hope it may help you. Bulldozer began losing his hearing and sight at a fairly young age - as his symptoms began to progress he would get very sensitive to motions above him that he didn't fully "see", and because of his hearing he would sleep so deeply that sometimes he would be startled when waking up from a deep sleep.
    Have you noticed any changes in Wellie's response to you when calling him or trying to get his attention?

    Bulldozer lived a very long and happy life even after completely losing both senses, but it was good I was able to catch it early and work with him during the loss of them.
    Interesting, thank you for posting this.

    As far as the hearing goes, I think it's fine. He hears things way before we do. Like someone too close to the door. He also seems to respond fine when we call him. Well, at least he looks at us- can't say he does what we want him too all the time..lol
    But, maybe there is something wrong with his eye site? I don't know. I haven't seen him bump into anything, or act nervous around new places... but... I guess it wouldn't hurt to have his eyes checked out.

    Thanks again for mentioning this, I would never have thought of it.


  12. #12
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldozersma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kori
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,289
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Strange Behavior

    The sight thing can be tricky, I think Bulldozer felt scared when he would see flashes of light or movement that he couldn't decipher. It really helped when I figured it out.

    Praying Wellie, is all good and maybe just has another one of those lovable bulldog quirks


    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    Interesting, thank you for posting this.

    As far as the hearing goes, I think it's fine. He hears things way before we do. Like someone too close to the door. He also seems to respond fine when we call him. Well, at least he looks at us- can't say he does what we want him too all the time..lol
    But, maybe there is something wrong with his eye site? I don't know. I haven't seen him bump into anything, or act nervous around new places... but... I guess it wouldn't hurt to have his eyes checked out.

    Thanks again for mentioning this, I would never have thought of it.
    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.


    James Hond, My Sunshine



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •