nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We've only had Wellie since September 20th, so not even four months yet but I've noticed something peculiar.

Sometime in October, he was in a very deep sleep on the couch. I sat down and put my arm around him. He immediately woke up, ran across the couch like the devil was chasing him, and jumped down.
It was so weird but I figured he's a really deep sleeper and I just startled him.

Then in December, he had his palate/nare/neuter surgery. Instead of waking up slowly from the anesthesia, he woke right up, bolted and they had to chase him down. Similar to my experience back in October.

Just now- he's on the couch fully awake. I see him licking/biting one area of his foot due to allergies. But that area is very red and irritated. So I go into the kitchen, get a cotton ball and pour some Malacetic Ultra on it. The hydrocortisone helps a lot.

As I'm walking towards him, I start to reach out when I'm a foot or so away. He recoils and makes the most heart breaking sound. WTF could that have been about?
It broke my heart.
He's not an abused dog, nor has he ever been so that can't be it. But for whatever reason, I scared him.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a neurological issue? Has anyone ever had, or heard of something similar.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
That is so weird--I can't think of any reason for that behavior. I have known dogs who would snap at people who woke them out of a good sleep, but it doesn't seem to be the same as Wellie's issue. I would also be thinking that it could be neurological, but I've never had experience with this. Have you had Wellie since he was a puppy?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Nope, we got him in September when he was 13 months old.

I really don't t believe he was abused. I even have pictures of him and his previous owners. The husband did not want to give him up and keeps calling Steve (our dog trainer) asking about him. The wife didn't want him though.
We think it had to do with medical bills. Sick bulldogs can get expensive.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm… that is odd. Maybe ask the vet about it… he could of had a bad experience at the vets or something. Some dogs are just super deep sleepers and get startled very easily.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I find part of you post very interesting. You say the husband didn't want to give him up but the wife did. Does Wellie display this behavior to Chris? I'm thinking the wife was less than friendly to Wellie and it took its toll. Just my guess though. I would try some kind of "therapy" with Wellie. Maybe you can ask your trainer what you personally can do to make Wellie more comfortable with you.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I find part of you post very interesting. You say the husband didn't want to give him up but the wife did. Does Wellie display this behavior to Chris? I'm thinking the wife was less than friendly to Wellie and it took its toll. Just my guess though. I would try some kind of "therapy" with Wellie. Maybe you can ask your trainer what you personally can do to make Wellie more comfortable with you.

I know what you mean Rosalie, the thought about the wife doing something crossed my mind too.

But Wellie and I did bond. He brings me his toys every morning and afternoon to play with, he started cuddling up to me at night (this is an issue for Blue..lol.) He cries for a few minutes when I leave the apartment (this is per Chris).. but he cries when Chris leaves too, and he's never shown fear before..

I dunno.. it's just so weird..

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] speaking of trainers.. that's another issue I'm having. Their trainer is very good, no doubt about that. It's getting in touch with him that's become difficult lately.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am with you Ellie... seems neurological. Try talking to him as you approah when in that situation again... see if it makes a differnece. The sleeping part could have just been a deep sleep and startled him -- I did that to Banks countless times and had a fat lip once from it (she head-butted me when she jumped up)

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I am with you Ellie... seems neurological. Try talking to him as you approah when in that situation again... see if it makes a differnece. The sleeping part could have just been a deep sleep and startled him -- I did that to Banks countless times and had a fat lip once from it (she head-butted me when she jumped up)

OUCH.. I can see Wellie doing the same thing.. fat lip, or even bloody nose.. ack.

It didn't end after the incident. Someone got too close to our door and he wouldn't stop barking, and then growling. He sat there for a good 10 minutes and nothing I tried doing distracted him. I think he may have been stressed after what happened with me.
But after that, he went back to his goofy, lovable self :unsure: ..

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I could be completely off, I'm just going to throw out what happened with my first bulldog, Bulldozer, in a hope it may help you. Bulldozer began losing his hearing and sight at a fairly young age - as his symptoms began to progress he would get very sensitive to motions above him that he didn't fully "see", and because of his hearing he would sleep so deeply that sometimes he would be startled when waking up from a deep sleep.
Have you noticed any changes in Wellie's response to you when calling him or trying to get his attention?

Bulldozer lived a very long and happy life even after completely losing both senses, but it was good I was able to catch it early and work with him during the loss of them.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I could be completely off, I'm just going to throw out what happened with my first bulldog, Bulldozer, in a hope it may help you. Bulldozer began losing his hearing and sight at a fairly young age - as his symptoms began to progress he would get very sensitive to motions above him that he didn't fully "see", and because of his hearing he would sleep so deeply that sometimes he would be startled when waking up from a deep sleep.
Have you noticed any changes in Wellie's response to you when calling him or trying to get his attention?

Bulldozer lived a very long and happy life even after completely losing both senses, but it was good I was able to catch it early and work with him during the loss of them.

Interesting, thank you for posting this.

As far as the hearing goes, I think it's fine. He hears things way before we do. Like someone too close to the door. He also seems to respond fine when we call him. Well, at least he looks at us- can't say he does what we want him too all the time..lol
But, maybe there is something wrong with his eye site? I don't know. I haven't seen him bump into anything, or act nervous around new places... but... I guess it wouldn't hurt to have his eyes checked out.

Thanks again for mentioning this, I would never have thought of it.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
The sight thing can be tricky, I think Bulldozer felt scared when he would see flashes of light or movement that he couldn't decipher. It really helped when I figured it out.

Praying Wellie, is all good and maybe just has another one of those lovable bulldog quirks

Interesting, thank you for posting this.

As far as the hearing goes, I think it's fine. He hears things way before we do. Like someone too close to the door. He also seems to respond fine when we call him. Well, at least he looks at us- can't say he does what we want him too all the time..lol
But, maybe there is something wrong with his eye site? I don't know. I haven't seen him bump into anything, or act nervous around new places... but... I guess it wouldn't hurt to have his eyes checked out.

Thanks again for mentioning this, I would never have thought of it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I agree with Rosalie on the male/female aspect. We rescued Tyson from a guy who was using him only to breed. I don't think he ever got any kind of affection. They kept him outside in a wooden bin like thing, with hay in it. It took him awhile to warm up to my husband, and still now, years later... he gets aggressive towards him from time to time. Never me... and he loves his daddy, but he 's just is very docile with me, loving & tender. He will also get protective if he tries to kiss or hug me, and he's not feeling it. LOL I know people tend to say the male is the "alpha", but I think Tyson respects me a little more than he does my husband. I don't know if its bc I baby him, and nurture him alot? He'll let me do just about anything to him, including bath time, etc but with my husband - he bolts!!

As far as the creams, cleaning etc. Tyson doesn't care for it either... so what I'll do, is show him what I'm doing first, let him sniff if needed, then show him a treat. He'll let me do what I need to do, then I'll give him the treat. Works well, and I always praise him. So I speak very positively to him, and afterwards say "Good boy, thank you for letting momma clean your face" - it may sound crazy, but speaking to them wit that tone works!! But very interesting on the eye-site thing, I would have never thought of that. I'm sure you will figure it out with time...he may still be learning to trust.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online