We don't understand him

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
So ya'll know Chubbs has a food aggression. Well here's what we've noticed he DOESN'T mind:
- hand feeding
- the cats sitting/watching or walking by as he eats

What he DOES mind:
- when he sees us holding the bowl & he knows the food is in there (if it's empty he could care less.)
- if we move to adjust ourselves he stops eating & starts to growl (we sit in the middle of the kitchen floor.)

So, anyone have a clue why he gets all Hulk on us with the 2 issues of what he does mind? Btw, he'll be 6 months this Saturday. [emoji53] [emoji22] [emoji174]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I make my dogs sit before they get their dish. If he growls at you AT ALL when he is eating-as I do with all my pups(as soon as they arrive here) while they are eating, I always stuck my hand in the dish, took it away & gave it back. They do NOT growl at the one who feeds them, and does everything for them! That is MY law here. I have even done that with older dogs that were rescues. They are not allowed to growl at me-or each other while eating.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Yea, we initially did the whole take away the dish & walk away but it got worse, WAY worse. So we figured in his mind he's thinking... I better eat all this at once before they take it away.
Our puppy trainer is intrigued by the feeding video I showed her so she wants to see it in person. Until then, my arms continue to be black&blue.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
You have done the hand feeding-I would sit there and hold the bowl, while he eats-see if that works.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
When I feed my guys they have to sit on hand command and then I put there bowl of food down in front of them and they then have to wait for the "lets eat" voice command. I also do like Lynn and put my hand in the bowl and will take the bowl from them and will do that one or two times a month while they are still young.
If you let Chubbs get away with that behavior it will get worse, I would definitely get a trainer involved to help correct that.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
@binxrexchubbs How was it when you sat and held the bowl while he ate? You are not respected as the alpha, if he growls at you while he is eating. I would take it away, as many times as it takes,saying "no growling" until he stops it. If you have any fear of this-he will know it, and take advantage by growling. As [MENTION=3331]Bella[/MENTION]andDozersDad has said-it will get much worse as time goes on,if it is not stopped.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
He was tense the whole time, even while petting him (we were told to do that). If we moved he stopped eating & growled. That's when we would get up, put the bowl on the counter & walked away. Then go back to him once he relaxed. We kept doing that until all his food was gone for each meal, sometimes it was so bad he didn't finish... only about a handful of kibble left.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I am sorry you are going through this. So, you can hand feed just fine; however, when the food is in a bowl, Chubbs is protective?

So, can one assume the bowl is part of the problem? Would it help to buy a new/different bowl and try to hand feed from that new one. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, I am stumped. I 2nd (or 3rd) the trainer suggestion.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I am sorry you are going through this. So, you can hand feed just fine; however, when the food is in a bowl, Chubbs is protective?

So, can one assume the bowl is part of the problem? Would it help to buy a new/different bowl and try to hand feed from that new one. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, I am stumped. I 2nd (or 3rd) the trainer suggestion.
It's not a stupid question.
Yes, you're correct about him being protective when the food is in the bowl. We have 2 bowls we've tried it with. He's more protective with the smaller one than with the slow feeder. So clearly it's a bowl thing but we just don't understand if it's us or him being a canine. We've gone to keeping the food in the measuring cup behind our backs. Slowly pouring the food into our hands so he can't see it. So far it's the best way but like I said before, if we move to adjust he stops eating & starts to growl. Idk. [emoji45]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This sounds like resource guarding and if it is, it is a tough fix and you need a trainer in the home to help you with this. Chubbs is young so you can get it now -- what stumps me is you hand fed him and he was fine... so when did the growling as being fed start?

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] probably about 1 month ago. We're kinda figuring it's because he's starting to become a big boy... with his lipstick out, haha.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama probably about 1 month ago. We're kinda figuring it's because he's starting to become a big boy... with his lipstick out, haha.

Maybe, but that usually shows itself in stubborness, not listening and over excitment when playing (aggrsssive play or sudden attack).... keep me posted and I interested in hearing what the trainer determines.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus does this. He started only growling at my Black lab. He was fine with the yellow lab being around while he ate. We would fed separately so Brutus could relax and eat slowly. Then we got Frankie and Brutus will try to bark or growl at the others but we do not allow this. We make him work for his food. He has to sit until released by whom ever is feeding him and we pet him and take his food out of the bowl and hand feed him. Brutus will try to do what I call a "Drive by". He will run by the kiddie gate and bark once and go and eat his food. I always reprimand him when he does this. The funny thing is, Brutus will only do this with his kibble. I can group feed treats, apple, etc.... Weird. I am also curious to hear what the trainer says.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.