Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I want to make sure I'm doing what's best for Bella. I did a quick forum search and now I'm concerned that Bella's growling needs to be stopped. Please help!

She talks back a lot. For example, let's say I make her get her front paws off the couch (by giving the "down" command and tugging on her leash), she will bark her displeasure and maybe growl a little. It isn't always a growl, sometimes she just barks her displeasure at something she doesn't like. How do I stop that? I'm assuming that's not good...even if I always make her stop doing whatever it is I want. During her holy terror puppy moments, she growls. This is usually during a frenzy of biting inappropriate things and running around. Is this concerning? I always make her stop biting me or the furniture, but sometimes I just put her in her playpen because it's just, bite, bite, bite, bite...

She can be like a little Tasmanian devil, for real.

I want to add that I use NILIF. She sits very well and she sits for everything: food, treats, toys, pets, etc...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Growling while running around playing, or playing with her toys is okay. Growling at you while she is eating, or because she doesn't like something you say or do, is a no no.
No dog of mine has ever growled at me (yet) I guess because I did not allow it from day one. I just told them no-you don't growl at your "mudder!"

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Growling while running around playing, or playing with her toys is okay. Growling at you while she is eating, or because she doesn't like something you say or do, is a no no.
No dog of mine has ever growled at me (yet) I guess because I did not allow it from day one. I just told them no-you don't growl at your "mudder!"

yup don't growl at the hand that feeds you. - same motto here.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Another example would be when I tell her, "No bite!" She will release the bite, but bark her displeasure. How do I correct that?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Positive reinforcement on everything just like NILIF states and when she does it gently take both side of her face and make sure you get eye contact and say no sternly. She's still so young that just continuing the NILIF process all by itself most likely will end up working. Good Luck!!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Positive reinforcement on everything just like NILIF states and when she does it gently take both side of her face and make sure you get eye contact and say no sternly. She's still so young that just continuing the NILIF process all by itself most likely will end up working. Good Luck!!

That makes sense. Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Another example would be when I tell her, "No bite!" She will release the bite, but bark her displeasure. How do I correct that?

Imagine that, a female puppy talking back... hard to believe :blink:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes! It's a battle, but we're getting through it. :yes:

I must be crazy.

We battled Banks for 9 yrs... I think we won :D -- 9 glorious years of challenges and love

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
If you ever figure it out, let me know.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
When does the growling begin? Ours never growl. The only time they bark is at each other. You could steal us blind and they don't even get up. When company comes to the house they look up but back to sleep or chewing on their bones. They are nine months old. Please tell me if they do not growl by three months or four months they never will.. Ralphie

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=12277]RalphieBoy[/MENTION] It is hard to believe they have never growled. Mine growl so much when they are playing and wrestling! So they don't growl when they are playing?
Also, you should know that when it comes to EBD's(who have their own plan...) no promises can be made!! :lmaoboy:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online