Ashley80

Jan 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Faith and Fiona
A little background info first... Back in March I bought a English bulldog. 1 Day before we were suppose to pick her up the breeder called and said she was unable to sell her because she thought she had a slight murmur. After much thought and negotiation we still went and got her. The breeder was very helpful and seemed to thing the murmur wasn't horrible even offered a new puppy if our puppy doesn't make it. A good friend of mine went with us and fell in love with the sister of our puppy. She was a foster and couldn't take her back to her house so I offered to watch her until her foster dog found a new home, We had her for about 3 months. They played great together and were best buddies. We took faith (our puppy) to the vet and found out her murmur was a lot worse than we expected at a stage 4/5. Faith is now almost 1 yr old and we took her to the drs last week because she was coughing and fainting which is totally heartbreaking to watch. The vet informed us she is not in any pain and its best to allow her to come home and let things happen. She is going to live the rest of her life loved and as happy as possible. Ok... The day after we found out this new my friend called and said she could no longer care for her puppy Fiona ( my puppies sister) and asked me to take her. Which of course I already loved this puppy and offered to come pick her up. I hadn't seen her since she took her as we don't live close. We brought her here on Tues night and wow she is totally different than our puppy. She is way smaller and a ball of crazy energy. She is food aggressive and dog aggressive. (my fried says she likes male dogs not females) Our puppy is way laid back and loves everything and everyone. I don't want to keep her crated but at this time she just can't be nice. It seems as if she is on a mission 24/7 and doesn't want to be bothered with faith and as soon as faith wants to play she attacks her. We feed her crated because she eats just as crazy as she acts. Food flies everywhere and she is in a huge rush... Help!! What can I do? I really want them to get along and her to chill out!!!!! They use to love each other...

puppy love.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby Faith… I commend you guys for taking her even though she has serious health issues. Sometimes dogs of the same sex have issues being under the same roof… especially if they are both type A personalities. Many members on here have used nothing in life is free technique w/success. I will tag the thread for you one here… or you could get in touch w/a personal trainer. I would say since Faith has health issues, maybe Fiona is taking advantage of that fact to make herself the alpha female. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Such beautiful babies!

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to sweet Faith!

As for Fiona, she is domonate, is also aware that Faith is sick and most likely takig advantage of that fact. Also, females tend to not get alond in general (not all, but higher majority). Fiona is going to need a lot of discipline and a strong leadership so she knows her place in the pack. As Tracey mentioned go back to basics withher using 'Nothing in Life is Free' to get her to settle down and understand she has to listen to you (all humans in the home).

It seems she was left to do as she wanted without correction in the previous home, so it will take some time to get there, but you will

OP
A

Ashley80

Jan 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Faith and Fiona
Thanks so much!!!! Is there a place I can read up on "Nothing in life is free" technique?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Good luck with your babies. I'm very sorry to hear about Faith. Maybe you can keep them separated for a while until the new pup gets used to being in your house.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This(as I am sure you know) is no time for your dog to have stress. If you plan to keep your friend's dog, I would gate her in the kitchen, and try to get her to settle down
and do the above advice. When you do have them together-have Fiona on a leash, so that you can control her behavior. Your baby is #1 priority. It sounds like she(Faith) is also having fluid build up:coughing. Has your vet given you digoxin and lasix, which might help?

OP
A

Ashley80

Jan 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Faith and Fiona
She didn't have any fluid on her lungs.. My vet felt that the negatives of meds at this time over weighted the positive. She seems to be doing great the last few days with no episodes but the vet said she would have good days and bad.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Ashley80 Praying that she will have many GOOD days. You are a great Mom, and I know how you must worry. Enjoy every day with her!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry about your baby. You have some good advice about. It just takes time and you need you let her know you are the alpha, and she needs to respect you. It takes a lot of patience. Keep after her, and a leash can help also.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.