Excited and humping

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
We have had Taco for almost 2 weeks, and for the most part he is a model citizen. There is one flaw: when he is with large groups of people, 4 or more, and he gets anxious or excited, he will hump (with vigor) the closest leg.

I had an episode recently while he was leashed, and a child was running excitedly around. Taco wanted to play, or maybe hunt, or maybe hump, and I was not allowing him to do so. He began going at my leg, and I pulled him off and tried to make him sit. This turned into incredibly aggressive behavior, lunging and biting/tearing at my jacket. I picked him up by his harness and put him in the car to cool down.

Occasionally at home he tries to start, but has learned a firm push and a "no" is enough.

Again on Christmas, there was a loud excited individual, adult, who rilled up Taco into his humping state. It was nearly the same as his big episode with me, but I ended up taking him home.

Why is he doing this (dominance?) and what can I do to prevent or dissuade? I'd like to be able to let him out when we have guests, or go to places, but as of now, I don't want to chance it. I have thought about carrying a small squirt gun or water bottle to dissuade.

He is very sharp, and had some issues lunging for toys, we have already taught him to go slow when taking from our hands. He is potty trained. He knows basic commands. He was recently neutered, if that might be a reason, and is estimated 3-5 years old. He was surrendered to the shelter at 30lbs because they "couldn't afford to feed him."

Any and all help is appreciated.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Humping can be a form of being dominant, or caused by excitement. It does take about a month for the hormones to be gone after neutering. He will have to be taught that humping is not allowed. Push him down, telling him no. If that does not work, try the spray bottle, or a can of coins. Don't give up, he will learn.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Humping can be a form of being dominant, or caused by excitement. It does take about a month for the hormones to be gone after neutering. He will have to be taught that humping is not allowed. Push him down, telling him no. If that does not work, try the spray bottle, or a can of coins. Don't give up, he will learn.

Thanks for the info and advice. A simple no and push has worked recently, just these two particular instances, he was crazed. Will keep up training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

^^^^ excellent info!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Well..............let me tell you from experience. lol. Vegas will be 6 in March, was neutered at 5 months (before we adopted him) and STILL can be a humper!! I had to leash him Christmas Eve. because he was "in love" with a friends new girlfriend. She could not pry his humping a$$ off her legs!! I have learned, without hurting him, to put him on his side, hold his neck down until he submits to me and calms down, then I will leash him. Sounds cruel but it is the ONLY way I can get a hold of his behavior. It is total territorial, but NOT acceptable!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good advice above. His hormones are going crazy right now, so hopefully he will settle down in a month or so. Just keep after him and tell him NO and make him get down. You may even have to leash him around people until he stops.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Well..............let me tell you from experience. lol. Vegas will be 6 in March, was neutered at 5 months (before we adopted him) and STILL can be a humper!! I had to leash him Christmas Eve. because he was "in love" with a friends new girlfriend. She could not pry his humping a$$ off her legs!! I have learned, without hurting him, to put him on his side, hold his neck down until he submits to me and calms down, then I will leash him. Sounds cruel but it is the ONLY way I can get a hold of his behavior. It is total territorial, but NOT acceptable!!

Yep, sounds like when Taco went wild. Luckily he's only at 50lbs, so he's easy to handle with a harness.

Good advice above. His hormones are going crazy right now, so hopefully he will settle down in a month or so. Just keep after him and tell him NO and make him get down. You may even have to leash him around people until he stops.

We have been leashing him lately, just until he realizes how to be a gentleman in others homes. Although this picture is comical, it is a stare down while leashed not long after the humping episode.

eaaf81bd465a23c42db7d5b9df4d3643.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I gotta' say that picture is funny! Like >who is gonna' look away first< ha!ha! Taco looks like he saying "Whut?!" [MENTION=13366]YHSublime[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is a GREAT photo! Love it!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I got nothing..
just wanna comment on that pic-
Between the santa hat, the staring contest, and the books (my god, i would kill for a room like that), it's just a perfect pic. You should print and frame it :D

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
That is a GREAT photo! Love it!

Haha, thanks

I got nothing..
just wanna comment on that pic-
Between the santa hat, the staring contest, and the books (my god, i would kill for a room like that), it's just a perfect pic. You should print and frame it :D

Haha, I might do that! The books are more ornamental at this stage. Books are dying, but that's a whole new story.

Taco is getting better, no outbreaks since Xmas, but I guess it's not really been that long. His new thing is pretending like he's not potty trained anymore. I'm washing our couch cushions as I type...

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
OMG, this made me laugh! But it is definitely a problem, especially as bullies are so strong!

You should get a Pet Corrector. They have them at Petsmart, Petco, Amazon, etc. It's compressed air that makes a little CHH noise when you press it. It's not very loud (depending on how hard you press) but for some reason it really gets dogs' attention! It is flat out amazing. I got it from Matilda's doggie trainer originally to help her walk by squirrels without having primal instincts make her go crazy. NOTHING else helped but a few times walking by with the Pet Corrector (she would start to speed up and get aggressive, I would spray and tell her NO) and she stopped completely. It is awesome for stuff like this, just spray it every time Taco gets too excited and he will learn not to do it very quickly. It's way more effective than a can of coins!

I'm a firm believer everyone with a dog should get one. I always recommend them to people in my apartment with yappy dogs :)

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
OMG, this made me laugh! But it is definitely a problem, especially as bullies are so strong!

You should get a Pet Corrector. They have them at Petsmart, Petco, Amazon, etc. It's compressed air that makes a little CHH noise when you press it. It's not very loud (depending on how hard you press) but for some reason it really gets dogs' attention! It is flat out amazing. I got it from Matilda's doggie trainer originally to help her walk by squirrels without having primal instincts make her go crazy. NOTHING else helped but a few times walking by with the Pet Corrector (she would start to speed up and get aggressive, I would spray and tell her NO) and she stopped completely. It is awesome for stuff like this, just spray it every time Taco gets too excited and he will learn not to do it very quickly. It's way more effective than a can of coins!

I'm a firm believer everyone with a dog should get one. I always recommend them to people in my apartment with yappy dogs :)

Thanks! This might help with our training in how to walk nicely on a leash in the face of distractions. We've tried the stand and wait approach but our girl is used to waiting and has the patience of a saint, only to start pulling again right away.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie

I have used the Pet Corrector too, and it really does stop them in their tracks! Great invention!

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I've taken to holding taco on his his back. He screams bloody murder, but calms down fairly quick.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.