Male in male aggression

lorieklinger

Dec 22, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully and Bronx
We have 2 bulldogs, they are father and son. Sully is 3 years and Bronx is 15 months. Until about a month ago everything was fine, now they can't be in the same room for more than 15 minutes without a big fight. Our older boy is getting the worst of it, Bronx is quite a bit bigger than sully, we have had to crate and rotate for the past couple weeks. Tomorrow the 2 go in to be neutered. We are at the end of our rope with them, anyone else experience this? Did neutering help? Any other tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would think neutering should help, as hormones won't be raging. it will probaby be about a month before the hormones are cleared. They could still have a fight over a toy-but you will have to stop it, before it escalates. Most dogs always want the toy that another dog has. I have all spayed females and their is an occasional escalation
over a toy, and I just have to stop it. I used to buy 4 of each toy-but that was a waste. They still want the ONE! I would recommend no real bones, or antlers, as that would be more likely to fight over.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have two boys, 4 and 2 years, both intact and no intention to neuter. They were only the best of friends until about 6 months ago. First it was over toys, then bones and later seemlesly without a cause. The older boy always starts it, but when attacked the younger will get grazy too.
In my opinion and at least in our house it's a leadership problem. When they know who is the leader, meaning me and my hubby, they don't have to fight, at least not that much. I'm sure there will be minor scuffles, but I have already had great results with training myself.
We did 3 weeks of what is called "ice age". We didn't notice them at all. We gave them their food and of course did normal maintanence. All walks were short and on a leash. We didn't look at them, touch them or talk to them for the first week. You're not supposed to even discipline them if they misbehave and they can start doing so just to get your attention, mine luckily didn't. The second week you can discipline them, but no more attention. The third week you can ask them to come to you and pet for awhile, just for few minutes and then ask them to go away. After this 3 weeks period you still have to practive normal leadership behaviour, meaning for one that you don't give them any attention when they ask for it. You need of course to interact with them, play with them and pet them, but it's when you wan't it. Also you have to treat the older one like he is the top dog from the dogs. Even if there's a fight and the older one starts it you have to first punish the younger one. There is more to it, but if you decide to try you're better of hiring a trainer or at least buying a book about it.
I have had great results. Before the fights were almost daily, but since we've had two minor incidents. They're playing together and sleeping in the same room. The older boy is also more obedient than he use to be. He will stil growl if asked to do something he doesn't want, but he will do it. I'm sure in time he will give up his throne completely...I also need to train myself how to treat them more as dogs, they already know how to be dogs.....good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I also answered on your other post.... Neutering will lessen the issue, but training and establishing alpha with them is a must.... especially the age of your two, they are fighting for pack lead and you need to make sure they know the humans are the lead and set their place in the pack order. VERY important -- all humans in the house must train/treat the pups in the smae manner ... consistency is everything.

Also.. look on here at the top of the training section is 'nothing in life is free' very easy to use and follow training technique

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.