Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to train them to sleep in their crates..

Country
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How to train them to sleep in their crates..

If I were you, I would do pretty much what I am doing now with our new puppy. Her crate is in the living room (while our bedroom is upstairs and she is not allowed there).

So, I'd move your dog's crates to another room (where you want them to be). Use inflatable mattress to sleep next to the crates with them (for a month or so). Or maybe they would even do better sleeping in one large crate? After all, pack animals do sleep together in the wilderness, so it is important for them to feel the warmth, heartbeat, smell and presence of another life creature against them. Then lock the crate(s) while sleeping within two feet away from the crate(s) where they can easily see you. Once they get used to sleeping there locked, you can move your inflatable mattress further away where they can't see it but could still feel your smell or hear your calm voice if they get restless. Once this goes well, you can go back to your bed and leave them in their crate(s). At least this is my plan. Good luck to both of us

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Chris' vacation starts the 29th. We were hoping to make it to the outerbanks NC this year, but it doesn't look like it's happening.

So we decided to move the crates into the living room that week and see how it goes. My biggest concern is Blue. Unlike Wellie, who doesn't care at all where he sleeps, Blue's a mamas boy that needs to be near me. I won't sleep on the floor with him though, he's two years old and there's nothing scary in the living room..lol..

Fingers crossed after a few nights he'll calm down. But considering his delicate mental state (he's paranoid and scared of everything), I don't see this ending well..

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Aww Ellie, it must be so hard when you don't get any sleep, I agree with others that it would be okay to allow blue to continue sleeping in your bed, and let Wellie sleep in the crate, since he doesn't mind. I'm sure he'll be fine with it, or you can maybe make a bed for him on the floor next to your bed and see if he'll sleep there, or put an ottoman beside and flush with your bed, so he's beside you but not in your bed? I hope you find a solution and you can get some sleep. Keep us posted and good luck.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Aww Ellie, it must be so hard when you don't get any sleep, I agree with others that it would be okay to allow blue to continue sleeping in your bed, and let Wellie sleep in the crate, since he doesn't mind. I'm sure he'll be fine with it, or you can maybe make a bed for him on the floor next to your bed and see if he'll sleep there, or put an ottoman beside and flush with your bed, so he's beside you but not in your bed? I hope you find a solution and you can get some sleep. Keep us posted and good luck.
    I am all for "love them like kids BUT always set CLEAR "dog-dog owner" boundaries. It can be very hard during the process of setting those boundaries, but so much easier and healthier (for all sides involved) in a long run.

Doggie Boutique Owner MissWaddles13's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pork Chop
    Likes (Received)

Someone wanted to give me a crate for my 5 year old EBD. I turned it down thinking Pc is a bit too old to be crated. Unless, I am wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads