What's the best way to react to this? (Barking displeasure)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
When Bella is unhappy or when she wants attention, she will bark her displeasure at me. For example, if I'm on the couch and she's on the floor, she'll put her front two paws on the couch, stand on her hind legs, and bark at me.

I've been ignoring her and then giving her attention only when she sits nicely and acts politely. However, I'm not certain if this is teaching her that the fussy barking is wrong.

Should I continue this approach or tell her to "stop" and "get down" when she's misbehaving? I worry that even telling her to "stop" and "get down" is giving her attention for her undesirable behavior.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Something you can try is to walk away when she does that behavior. Or you can say "Stop" and then walk away, maybe to another room. Keep it really firm and short and don't make a fuss as, like you said, giving her attention for the undesired behavior is still attention and she may think it's okay to continue doing that.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My trainer told me to use the "Leave It" command, and that has worked for my boxer… the BULLY is a different story!!! Lol

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maybe try coins in a can when she barks at you ? That's the only thing I can think of, otherwise the above approaches is probably the best way.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My trainer told me to use the "Leave It" command, and that has worked for my boxer… the BULLY is a different story!!! Lol

Hey -- maybe Wally speaks a different language and you need to learn Italian?
[MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION] -- Banks was a very mouthy girl all her 9 yrs... I did the walk away and ignoring, those worked best with her

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
We Tryed when our bully did that by putting him into his crate egnored him after 10 mins brought him back out and every time he did it we would take him back in it take a lot but it worked for us he just knew it was wrong in the end and knew he would end up in his crate when doing it constant hope this helps am just new to site trying to pick up tips & helping on what we have Tryed so far :)

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We Tryed when our bully did that by putting him into his crate egnored him after 10 mins brought him back out and every time he did it we would take him back in it take a lot but it worked for us he just knew it was wrong in the end and knew he would end up in his crate when doing it constant hope this helps am just new to site trying to pick up tips & helping on what we have Tryed so far :)

Thank you! And welcome to the site! :)

Bella doesn't do this as much anymore. I was consistent with telling her "No!" and I walk away when she nuisance barks or whines. Walking away and only giving her attention when she's quiet has worked wonders for quieting the whining and barking.

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Thank you! And welcome to the site! :)

Bella doesn't do this as much anymore. I was consistent with telling her "No!" and I walk away when she nuisance barks or whines. Walking away and only giving her attention when she's quiet has worked wonders for quieting the whining and barking.
It's so much hard work but worth it in the end :yes:

Most Reactions