suddenly terrified to go for a walk

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
So Betsy(16 weeks) for the past three weeks has gone for a morning walk with her bullie brother with no issues. It is always dark and cold on the walk so nothing has changed. Three days ago she absolutely refused to move her feet. I took her out yesterday afternoon and got her walking after I carried her a bit of the way. This morning tried again with my husband and she was shaking like crazy. Obviously something happened a few mornings ago that scared her. We did not get her until she was 12 weeks and had never been outside, in a car etc...missed that 8-12 week window when they need to be socialized.
My question is...are there any thoughts on how to get her walking again? She really needs the exercise. I tried treats this morning and that would get me two steps. I am going to try again this after noon when it is light out. Thanks!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm… well you did state that Betsy has a UTI… maybe she's just in pain and doesn't feel like walking?!! I had a diabetic cat, and before he was diagnosed he had continuous UTI's. He would pee everywhere around the house, and the vet stated that animals think that wherever that they "GO" is why it hurts, so maybe she's afraid to go pee outside because it's hurting her.

I agree that the socialization could be the issue as well… is she fearful of other dogs?!! or animals?!!

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
I am not 100% sure if she has a uti. I have to wait 3-4 days after the antibiotic was finished(tues morn) to have her tested. she runs around like crazy in our backyard so I am thinking that something must have scared her. I am going to try today with a rope toy

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
meant to say that she does not seem fearful of dogs. we are in a puppy class and she went to daycare one day. she was terrified of cars but we got her through that(seeing cars on the road) she is still terrified of going into a car.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
meant to say that she does not seem fearful of dogs. we are in a puppy class and she went to daycare one day. she was terrified of cars but we got her through that(seeing cars on the road) she is still terrified of going into a car.

My Banks always HATED the car.... we ended up having to get meds to help her for anything over an hour ride we gave her Xanax

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.