Aggression techniques?

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
As you all know we recently have found out Chubbs has food & chewie aggression. A technique I was told by petsmart employees is:
Sit in a chair, normal height. Hold the food bowl & pet his face simultaneously. If he growls or anything stand up, put the food out of reach & walk away. Then come back after he's calmed down. Repeat as necessary. They said the aggression should go away within 1-2 days. Anyone heard of this???
Also, have ya'll heard of water aggression? Chubbs has it. [emoji53] [emoji174]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never heard of water aggression... but they can be aggressive towards just about anything. it sounds like he might be getting more into 'resource guarding' which if that is tha case, I would suggest having a trainer come into the home to assist you n addressing and training both you and hubby onhow to correct and command him

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Hmmm, never thought of resource guarding. I noticed last week the cats like to lay on the towel where his mat is (he tends to knock over the water bowl) & they also like to scratch the food mat. I'm guessing this is part of the resource guarding? Even though he wants to play with them & they remind him of where is place is in the household?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama Hmmm, never thought of resource guarding. I noticed last week the cats like to lay on the towel where his mat is (he tends to knock over the water bowl) & they also like to scratch the food mat. I'm guessing this is part of the resource guarding? Even though he wants to play with them & they remind him of where is place is in the household?

Does he go after the cats or growl when they are doing this? If yes, he is trying to protect what he deems HIS.... resource guarding

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] No, not all. The complete opposite in fact. He doesn't growl at all at them. With Binx, the 4.5 year old, he either sits there & turns his head or lays down with his butt in there air... sometimes jumps up & barks at Binx. With Rex, 2.5 year old he chases or sits with his butt in the air (Rex only hisses & nothing else.)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama No, not all. The complete opposite in fact. He doesn't growl at all at them. With Binx, the 4.5 year old, he either sits there & turns his head or lays down with his butt in there air... sometimes jumps up & barks at Binx. With Rex, 2.5 year old he chases or sits with his butt in the air (Rex only hisses & nothing else.)

"lays down with his butt in there air" That is 'play-bow' he wants them to play with him -- so he is only growling at you during feeding or when you touch his bowl?

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] growls at both hubby & I, but only uses his mouth on me. DOESN'T bite but it's enough where I take the food, walk away & put him in his crate.

Members online

No members online now.