KaylaL422

Dec 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus Barkley
Hello,

I got my english bulldog Angus about 3 weeks ago. We took him to the groomer today for a bath, and when we dropped him off everything was normal. When we picked him up however he was acting very different. Every time he saw another dog, he would drop into a submissive pose and start barking and whining like he was both in pain and terrified. He stayed as close to me as he could, and just generally seemed terrified. He also let out a pained cry whenever we touched his throat, although there are no visible marks or redness. He normally is very friendly to both new people and new dogs, and has never acted like this before. He has been to this groomer before with no problems, and he is very loved there. We spoke to the groomer and she insisted that nothing out of the ordinary happened, and that he was curious with the other dogs that were back there, but there were no scuffles. I'm wondering if he is just traumatized from the bath, or if something else is wrong. Angus is our first bulldog, though we have had other dogs before. Any advice would be appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN ...... How old is Angus? You may know this, but in case you do not... Bulldogs tend to have issue with schedule and inanimate objects... It could just be he did not want to be there, something minor scared him or he was out of his comfort zone.

OP
K

KaylaL422

Dec 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus Barkley
Hi and :welcome3: to EBN ...... How old is Angus? You may know this, but in case you do not... Bulldogs tend to have issue with schedule and inanimate objects... It could just be he did not want to be there, something minor scared him or he was out of his comfort zone.

Thank you for the welcome! He is about 3 - we rescued him from a shelter so they aren't positive on the age. He is a big scaredy cat, as well as a snuggler, but we have been in that pet store with him many times and he has never reacted like this so that's why I was concerned. I will keep that in mind however, that is good to know. I learn something new about him every day! He is just the sweetest dog I've ever met, and I'd hate for anything to be hurting him if I can prevent it.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Hi Kayla, and welcome to EBN. Bulldogs are so sensitive to anything they feel are "out of the ordinary". I'm sure he'll be fine soon. After being in the shelter, it may have caused some anxiety. Hopefully by this time of the day, he's doing better and knows that he has you. Thank you so much for rescuing him.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very strange I agree! But they can react to something evil and scary to them that we just don't understand. Thank you for rescuing him!

OP
K

KaylaL422

Dec 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus Barkley
His behavior has changed a little now that he's had some time to settle down. He's a little less fearful now that he's had some snuggle therapy, but he seems like he's in pain. He can't seem to find a comfortable spot to lie down, and every time he readjusts he lets out a very pained cry. When we rescued him they mentioned luxating patella, but they aren't sure of that. He hasn't really been checked for it. I don't want him to be in pain, but I have no idea what to give him. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if perhaps getting in and out of the bath was too hard on him and he's in pain from that. I didn't see the tub itself, so I'm not sure if that's even a possibility, but it started after the bath, as everything else did. I guess I'm just a stressed bully-mama!
2014-12-06 12.13.42.jpgHe just has the cutest face!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
His behavior has changed a little now that he's had some time to settle down. He's a little less fearful now that he's had some snuggle therapy, but he seems like he's in pain. He can't seem to find a comfortable spot to lie down, and every time he readjusts he lets out a very pained cry. When we rescued him they mentioned luxating patella, but they aren't sure of that. He hasn't really been checked for it. I don't want him to be in pain, but I have no idea what to give him. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if perhaps getting in and out of the bath was too hard on him and he's in pain from that. I didn't see the tub itself, so I'm not sure if that's even a possibility, but it started after the bath, as everything else did. I guess I'm just a stressed bully-mama!
View attachment 81467He just has the cutest face!

He is so sweet... Look at that face! Give him the night to settle in, if he is still showing signs of pain on Monday,call the vet and have him examined just to be safe.

OP
K

KaylaL422

Dec 6, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus Barkley
Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping a good night's sleep will be all he needs. I just hate seeing him in so much pain :( My poor baby. I am also hoping to find a vet that has experience working with bulldogs, as I am aware that they have very specific needs. So I'm hoping there will be one near by, though we are known to have traveled ridiculous distances for our family members. I once brought one of my birds to Tufts for a health problem, which was about an hour and a half in each direction. But I'd rather have travel and a healthy friend than no travel to an inexperienced vet who may not even be able to help.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping a good night's sleep will be all he needs. I just hate seeing him in so much pain :( My poor baby. I am also hoping to find a vet that has experience working with bulldogs, as I am aware that they have very specific needs. So I'm hoping there will be one near by, though we are known to have traveled ridiculous distances for our family members. I once brought one of my birds to Tufts for a health problem, which was about an hour and a half in each direction. But I'd rather have travel and a healthy friend than no travel to an inexperienced vet who may not even be able to help.

Check our member recommended list of vets to see if one is near you ... I am on my phone otherwise i'd post link fir you

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.