Kara519e

Nov 19, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Eugene
So baby boy is an extreme bed wetter. He's not crate trained. We tried it and he just ended up peeing his doggie bed every night no matter what I do (and scream and cry of course) there's just something about a nice cozy dog bed he loves to pee on. He does have a quiet area I put him when we sleep and aren't home which is the kitchen, but no matter what I do, no matter what I put down and how many times I take him out he'll pee in it and then sleep on it like it's no big deal.
A uti is ruled out because he's just been to the vet last week and he's 80 percent potty trained. I know he can hold it because there have been a couple times he has fell asleep in our bed and had no issues.
He also will use his bed as his favorite teething toy, drag it around the house and hump it.

has any other else has this problem? I'm open to suggestions!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 120

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
remove all bedding from the crate until he is trained.... some dogs, for whatever reason, will continue to wet on any type of bedding

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree, remove everything until he's trained. He sure is a cutie, I love that face. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
That face can do no wrong---but I guess it's the other end.......:D

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,

So I see that he is NOT crate trained. Nothing you can do about that for now. One thing at a time. Once you get past this issue, a very strong recommendation is to crate train for many many reasons... that is for another day.
Potting training is behavior modification. As with most any training. You are either working towards a change for a desired outcome/behavior/consequence... or the opposite to decrease/change/modify/eliminate an unwanted outcome/behavior/consequence.

Not ALL dogs have a strong dislike to sit or lay in their own urine. Some are just fine with it. Those are the more challenging cases.
As with anyone who has a child, the process of potty training is the same. You have to get ahead of the curve on when he goes pee.
You said, "no matter how many times you take him out...", well...honestly...that's not enough. When you are home, take him out every hour, half hour, or even 15 minutes and take him to the same spot. Encourage him to "go potty!" Dogs can be trained to go potty when they are told. It's conditional training. I have a back yard that all of the dogs can run in and do the biz. But when I am house breaking and potty training, I put a leash on and go out front to a nice green grass spot that has been used for many years so it has lots of good smells. I keep taking a puppy out until the puppy understands what is being asked (expected), and then the praise and rewards for doing it. This works so that all of my dogs if needed can be taken out front and go potty, if they need to be separated from the other dogs.

So, work more on taking Eugene out to go potty. Not play time. Busy time. Often enough and he will start to understand WHAT you want him to do, and look forward to the reward ! Lots, Lots, LOTS of praise and rewards (treats, snacks, LOVE).

No the other item to consider is limiting the access of water. Again, just like potty training a young toddler, limiting how much water, and stop by a certain time to limit the amount of urine in the bladder. Make sure your dog has plenty of access to water when you are there, but no need to leave out a bowl of water during the night? That's like setting a tall glass of water next to the bed of a 3 yo and NOT expect a wet bed in the morning?

Again, I had a dog that was having incontinence problems due to a bladder surgery. Up until the surgery he did not have any issue. After the surgery he started wetting his bed every night. I had to take the time to allow his bladder to heal and then re-train (break) his bed-wetting habit. It took many months for both to occur. He has gotten much better but I think he will always have a slight issue due to the bladder surgery.

Since you have ruled out the UTI, also look into any other issues that are associated with incontinence in dogs. There are many good articles on the internet. I would suggest reading many of them before you go to the vet and have the test done. Save the money on the test that are NOT needed, and only spend the money on the tests needed.

Hope this helps..
Good Training !

OP
Kara519e

Kara519e

Nov 19, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Eugene
Hi,

So I see that he is NOT crate trained. Nothing you can do about that for now. One thing at a time. Once you get past this issue, a very strong recommendation is to crate train for many many reasons... that is for another day.
Potting training is behavior modification. As with most any training. You are either working towards a change for a desired outcome/behavior/consequence... or the opposite to decrease/change/modify/eliminate an unwanted outcome/behavior/consequence.

Not ALL dogs have a strong dislike to sit or lay in their own urine. Some are just fine with it. Those are the more challenging cases.
As with anyone who has a child, the process of potty training is the same. You have to get ahead of the curve on when he goes pee.
You said, "no matter how many times you take him out...", well...honestly...that's not enough. When you are home, take him out every hour, half hour, or even 15 minutes and take him to the same spot. Encourage him to "go potty!" Dogs can be trained to go potty when they are told. It's conditional training. I have a back yard that all of the dogs can run in and do the biz. But when I am house breaking and potty training, I put a leash on and go out front to a nice green grass spot that has been used for many years so it has lots of good smells. I keep taking a puppy out until the puppy understands what is being asked (expected), and then the praise and rewards for doing it. This works so that all of my dogs if needed can be taken out front and go potty, if they need to be separated from the other dogs.

So, work more on taking Eugene out to go potty. Not play time. Busy time. Often enough and he will start to understand WHAT you want him to do, and look forward to the reward ! Lots, Lots, LOTS of praise and rewards (treats, snacks, LOVE).

No the other item to consider is limiting the access of water. Again, just like potty training a young toddler, limiting how much water, and stop by a certain time to limit the amount of urine in the bladder. Make sure your dog has plenty of access to water when you are there, but no need to leave out a bowl of water during the night? That's like setting a tall glass of water next to the bed of a 3 yo and NOT expect a wet bed in the morning?

Again, I had a dog that was having incontinence problems due to a bladder surgery. Up until the surgery he did not have any issue. After the surgery he started wetting his bed every night. I had to take the time to allow his bladder to heal and then re-train (break) his bed-wetting habit. It took many months for both to occur. He has gotten much better but I think he will always have a slight issue due to the bladder surgery.

Since you have ruled out the UTI, also look into any other issues that are associated with incontinence in dogs. There are many good articles on the internet. I would suggest reading many of them before you go to the vet and have the test done. Save the money on the test that are NOT needed, and only spend the money on the tests needed.

Hope this helps..
Good Training !

thank you! I will limit the water access and see how that works out! He is doing good with the potty training, I'll take him out every hour if not sooner and he usually will go immediately so he doesn't have many accidents besides his bed

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
I feel your pain. Our little guy is the same way. I have to close the door to the crates during the day or else he will use it as a toilet. I tried removing all blankets and it did not help at all. And to top it all off he has a medical condition which requires him to always have access to water including night time. He has no issues with peeing in the bed and going back to sleep. We are starting to make some progress though, many trips out through the night, patience, but it seems like his bladder is strengthening and he is sleeping a little longer each night between potty breaks. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.