Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This growling is an absolute No no. That is not play growling, it is dominant growling. I would take that away from him, and I wouldn't care if he bit me. I would give it, and take it away. When he is eating, I would pick up his bowl,put it down, put my hands in it, pick it up. Hand feeding, also. If you do not stop this growling-you will be sorry when he is older. No dog is ever allowed to growl at me-unless we were playing tug of war-that is play growling. He needs to know that he is not allowed to growl at his family.You should also make him sit before you give him anything.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] That's what we thought. Thanks for your advice! [emoji3]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
One major thing to remember with all this... every human in the house has to follow the same rules with Chubbs.. if there is no consistnecy, it will take longer to correct the issue.

Henny and Lynn got you covered

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with Lynn, hand feed him so he knows you rule the food. If he tries to yank the food from you you must pull away, tell him gentle, repeat repeat repeat until he gets it. It may take 30 minutes to feed him breakfast/dinner but it will be worth it in the end. Right now it almost seems like a game, he's doing what's expected if him to do and reacting to that expectation. Time to create new expectations. Good luck Hun, were all cheering for you and Chubbs!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus is food aggressive as well. He has to sit before I give him his food so he understands it is MY food and I am allowing him to eat it. I feed him separate from the other dogs because he is aggressive and he has a very bad habit of coming to the gate and growling at the other dogs on the other side. I immediately back him up while telling him NO, NO GROWLING. He has to sit and look at me to understand me. He actually squirms when I do this. Last night was actually the first time I feel I broke through and he understood that this is not allowed because he went into the living room and sat the whole time the other dogs were eating and most of when we were eating. He was very insulted he was yelled at. Keep at it. You have got to make him understand YOU ARE THE BOSS!!!! Everyone has to be on board although I would only have you or your partner feeding Chubby at this time. Treats are earned and until he is showing behavior you approve of, no treats or toys. Everything in my house is earned. If Brutus growl even slightly at Frankie while he has a toy, I immediately take it away so he understands that he cannot behave this way. It is a battle no doubt, stay strong. It is worth it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
totally unacceptable behavior.... everything I mentioned in the PM and previously about all getting on the same page, consistency, he gets nothing unless he works for it. Take him for walks, get him tired and train him to always do as you say.
If you are giving him a treat and he goes to snap, pull the treat back and say no.. then try again... he does not get the tret till he is settled and taking it nicely from you.

Banks always snapped when giving treats as a pup... it took months of training to get her to settle before getting the treat. Once she got it, it work great... not going to kid you, it took almost 2 yrs to get her where she was a GREAT dog that listened to everything we said.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
totally unacceptable behavior.... everything I mentioned in the PM and previously about all getting on the same page, consistency, he gets nothing unless he works for it. Take him for walks, get him tired and train him to always do as you say.
If you are giving him a treat and he goes to snap, pull the treat back and say no.. then try again... he does not get the tret till he is settled and taking it nicely from you.

Banks always snapped when giving treats as a pup... it took months of training to get her to settle before getting the treat. Once she got it, it work great... not going to kid you, it took almost 2 yrs to get her where she was a GREAT dog that listened to everything we said.

Agreed! A tired dog is a good dog. Everything he wants and needs must be earned. When feeding him, make him sit first or down or whatever command you like but make him work for it. It is also mentally stimulating him. When giving him a treat make an eye contact with him first that way he is focused on you and not on the treat, that goes for food too. It might also be good to make him tired first before feeding time. Goodluck! You already got great advices from great people here. Keep us informed :).

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Agreed! A tired dog is a good dog. Everything he wants and needs must be earned. When feeding him, make him sit first or down or whatever command you like but make him work for it. It is also mentally stimulating him. When giving him a treat make an eye contact with him first that way he is focused on you and not on the treat, that goes for food too. It might also be good to make him tired first before feeding time. Goodluck! You already got great advices from great people here. Keep us informed :).

Thanks!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.