At wits end

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
We've come to notice a few naughty behaviors coming from Chubbs & we have no idea how to handle it.

1. Food & treat aggression has begun. When he was a younger puppy, there were no issues. We could put hands in the bowl & pet him with no problems. Not anymore. Watch the video, you'll see what happens. You can see my hand quickly in the video. I didn't feel like getting bit as I was trying to get his reaction on tape.

When giving Chubbs treats, he's so excited that he 'grabs' them out of our hands.

Chubbs got me bad last night. We understand he's a puppy, that's he's an animal, that he's teething & that he doesn't want to hurt us but it does. We just dont know what the correct thing is. We firmly say No but it doesn't seem to work. The only thing that works, and I don't like it... saying NO & put him in his crate. Please help!

Naughty Chubbs: YouTube

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You have to make the video public.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] okay, it's public but not for too long.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Got a look at the video, and yep, Chubbs sure is telling you he wants to be "boss". He's testing you. Do not allow him to "grab" the treats out of your hands. You must have him follow a basic obedience command before he can have the treat to show him the treat is his reward and you give him the treats, he doesn't TAKE them from u. When he starts growling at you like he was in the video is when you should give him some more basic obedience commands to follow; it could be "SIT" or "DOWN" (altho he was already down in the video). This will give him some sense of structure and tell him that he must listen to mom and dad. When he follows the command then reward him with a treat. I'm sure others will be able to help more but that's what i can think of for now. Keep working at it...Chubbs is a cutie!

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I want to be perfectly clear. Chubbs is a great dog & we love him very much. The only time he's like this is when we take away his food and chewies.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I want to be perfectly clear. Chubbs is a great dog & we love him very much. The only time he's like this is when we take away his food and chewies.

i had a similar problem with Finn but with him, it was when i took a toy away from him while he was playing with it. He growled at me. At first it scared me but then i realized i had to nip it in the bud b/c i didn't want this to go on and i didn't like the feeling of being afraid of my own dog. So, I started making him do some commands before he could get the toy back. It helped b/c he doesn't do that to me anymore. Chubbs is still young and like i mentioned, seems like he's still "testing" you, which is a normal phase in all dogs.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Got a look at the video, and yep, Chubbs sure is telling you he wants to be "boss". He's testing you. Do not allow him to "grab" the treats out of your hands. You must have him follow a basic obedience command before he can have the treat to show him the treat is his reward and you give him the treats, he doesn't TAKE them from u. When he starts growling at you like he was in the video is when you should give him some more basic obedience commands to follow; it could be "SIT" or "DOWN" (altho he was already down in the video). This will give him some sense of structure and tell him that he must listen to mom and dad. When he follows the command then reward him with a treat. I'm sure others will be able to help more but that's what i can think of for now. Keep working at it...Chubbs is a cutie!

Thanks for responding. The thing is, he does sit when told... for the most part. And like you said, we only give treats when he obeys. It's the other part we don't understand. :(

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
i had a similar problem with Finn but with him, it was when i took a toy away from him while he was playing with it. He growled at me. At first it scared me but then i realized i had to nip it in the bud b/c i didn't want this to go on and i didn't like the feeling of being afraid of my own dog. So, I started making him do some commands before he could get the toy back. It helped b/c he doesn't do that to me anymore. Chubbs is still young and like i mentioned, seems like he's still "testing" you, which is a normal phase in all dogs.

Okay, thanks. Do you recall how old Finn was when he stopped testing you?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, thanks. Do you recall how old Finn was when he stopped testing you?

Well, this behavior actually happened last year and Finn is now 3yo. That was the first time he growled at me, but i should note that Finn often growls at his brother Tate so Finn has had this "toy protective" behavior for some time.

Another suggestion i was reading about re. Chubbs and the treats is instead of giving him a treat to chew on by himself, you can hand-feed him a few bits of treats so that he gets used to your hand giving him the treats. You can do this by sitting on the floor, close to him. And every time he calmly takes a treat from you, then compliment and praise him in a positive/cheery voice.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Well, this behavior actually happened last year and Finn is now 3yo. That was the first time he growled at me, but i should note that Finn often growls at his brother Tate so Finn has had this "toy protective" behavior for some time.

Another suggestion i was reading about re. Chubbs and the treats is instead of giving him a treat to chew on by himself, you can hand-feed him a few bits of treats so that he gets used to your hand giving him the treats. You can do this by sitting on the floor, close to him. And every time he calmly takes a treat from you, then compliment and praise him in a positive/cheery voice.

Okay, thanks so much! We've been talking about his behavior since last night. We agreed to do the hand feeding thing starting tomorrow. Thanks again! :clap:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.