Help Needed! Food urgency/agression

Nslavik63

Oct 19, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Puddin & Punkin
I rescued a 5 month old english bulldog - she is the sweetest thing but has a tendency to lung at her food bowl before it hits the floor and when you're handing a treat she snatches it and gobbles her food down in less than a minute. I also have a two year who is the best english bulldog ever and she has never acted this way. I have tried to have her sit and wait for the treat or food bowl but she is just so anxious she goes crazy excited for it. Her agression is not a bite or nasty behavior she just wants the food. To slow down her eating a put a ball in her bowl, she just knocks it out. Please pass along some suggestions, I know we can overcome this. Thank you!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:hiii:Welcome to EBN! This little gal is still a pup-and surely has not been given any lessons. To teach her it is best to have her in the kitchen by herself to eat=don't know if you feed them both together-but we don't want pup worrying about someone getting her food. You can get a special dish that looks like a maze feedbowl.jpgsuch as the one pictured-or there are many other kinds. You must teach her to sit, before giving her the food. Do not give her food or treat until she does sit. If would be easier to teach with a treat first, rather than her food-she won't be quite as excited. It is just a matter of not giving in until she does sit-even if it is for one second. When she does praise her to high heaven and give the treat. Eventually she will get it! Persistence on your part. Mine all sit when they see the food bowl:yes:coming. At least they learned that!>>>>>>agression is alot different than excitement! Whole different ball game....I would also recommend that you put your hand in her dish, pet her take the dish away for a second, so she does not get food agressive.

OP
N

Nslavik63

Oct 19, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Puddin & Punkin
Thank you for the advice, she is just so sweet. I have been petting her putting my hand in her bowl and there is no issues with this. I will continue to work on the sit and truley appreciate the suggestions. Thank you again and Happy Thanksgiving!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy Thanksgiving to you! It will work out-don't give up!:no::thanks4:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN ..... Lynn gave you great advice! best of luck and please post some pics of your babies for us to drool over

OP
N

Nslavik63

Oct 19, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Puddin & Punkin
Here are my girls Puddin and Punkin - thanks for all you suggestions! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 111

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I hand fed my bulldog, Angus, until he learned his food is safe and nobody is going to take it from him. I basically fed him in the same manner I give him a treat. I give him the food from my hand but I don't let go of the food until he's calmed down some.

Members online

No members online now.