General Question Wally is being such a BRAT!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh this morning...

I'm headed out this afternoon to a craft fair, so I decided to take the dogs for a walk since it's a nice day here for once. Poor Roxie still isn't feeling her usual self, and is pretty slow on the walks but she acts like she wants to go and I HATE to leave her behind :( WALTER on the other hand, who was doing SO WELL on the leash in training, decided to play tug-o-war the entire walk w/the leashes… either his or Roxie's :stinkeye: My neighbors must think I'm insane… I'm yelling DROP IT at the top of my lungs, and he's still growling and pulling…

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here… he had it at first, and now the walks are becoming a BATTLE and I honestly don't want to take him anymore :( Should I keep just taking him on walks alone until he finally get it's again?!! In the training we were walking doing watch me the entire time, and he did okay w/that… I don't understand why I can't walk both of them at the same time?!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
are you anxious or anticipating his behavior that you don't want? if yes, it is going right down the leash to him.... also, try not to yell.. say it firmly but calm, drop it or leaving it or even just no

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
yeah, no yelling.. need to stay calm.. but man, is that part hard.

With Blue, I bought a shorter lead and keep him close to me. Also, I try not give him a chance to get distracted by anything, so we walk quickly and with a purpose. Also, I always keep treats with me for those times he's going to inevitably pull. I just quickly get one out to get his attention.
My trainer said when he starts to get distracted, AKA pull, a quick short jerk on the lead will work, and eventually he'll get the message. So far though, it hasn't. Maybe it doesn't have the same effect on the harness as it does a collar?

Blue is far from a good walker, but definitely doing better than he did with the shorter lead and quick walking. I just noticed it's a constant battle, at least for now. Guess that's the stubborn bulldog trait coming out..

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
LOL I'm sorry i know it's not funny to you but i can picture Wally playing with his leash and Roxie's. I trained Bifi not to pull by just walking in the other direction when he starts to walk ahead of me. He got this in 15 mins. I watched a training video from youtube but can't find that video anymore. Here are a couple videos i found in youtube that may be helpful to you:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
are you anxious or anticipating his behavior that you don't want? if yes, it is going right down the leash to him.... also, try not to yell.. say it firmly but calm, drop it or leaving it or even just no

Oh yeah… it's a battle just getting the harness on, but w/the Julius one that only takes about 2 seconds. I was definitely yelling while we were walking today… LMAO!!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
yeah, no yelling.. need to stay calm.. but man, is that part hard.

With Blue, I bought a shorter lead and keep him close to me. Also, I try not give him a chance to get distracted by anything, so we walk quickly and with a purpose. Also, I always keep treats with me for those times he's going to inevitably pull. I just quickly get one out to get his attention.
My trainer said when he starts to get distracted, AKA pull, a quick short jerk on the lead will work, and eventually he'll get the message. So far though, it hasn't. Maybe it doesn't have the same effect on the harness as it does a collar?

Blue is far from a good walker, but definitely doing better than he did with the shorter lead and quick walking. I just noticed it's a constant battle, at least for now. Guess that's the stubborn bulldog trait coming out..

I guess I need to bring treats w/me, which I haven't done for awhile now because he was doing so well before :( I normally walk fast, but w/Roxie not feeling well she was dragging us behind. I guess I'm going to have to walk them separately for now… Ugh!!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LOL I'm sorry i know it's not funny to you but i can picture Wally playing with his leash and Roxie's. I trained Bifi not to pull by just walking in the other direction when he starts to walk ahead of me. He got this in 15 mins. I watched a training video from youtube but can't find that video anymore. Here are a couple videos i found in youtube that may be helpful to you:

Thank you for posting these… both were interesting. I've never tried a clicker w/Wally, but I may do this… I also think I'm going to have to walk him on his own until he learns how to walk properly. OH this morning was beyond comical… I was totally losing it, which was only adding to Wally's antics… Lol

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Thank you for posting these… both were interesting. I've never tried a clicker w/Wally, but I may do this… I also think I'm going to have to walk him on his own until he learns how to walk properly. OH this morning was beyond comical… I was totally losing it, which was only adding to Wally's antics… Lol

I clicker trained Vegas. That was how he learned the nose in the corner trick, shutting the fridge and shutting the pantry. Also sitting, rolling over and playing dead were all via clicker. Orion? She tried to eat the clicker.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I clicker trained Vegas. That was how he learned the nose in the corner trick, shutting the fridge and shutting the pantry. Also sitting, rolling over and playing dead were all via clicker. Orion? She tried to eat the clicker.

I actually got a clicker, and started using it w/Roxie but she responded w/out it. I guess that Wally is going to be the difficult one of course… Lol

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walters got you wrapped around his little finger and I think its adorabull. :tongue:

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walters got you wrapped around his little finger and I think its adorabull. :tongue:

You don't even know that half of it… baby boy has learned how to jump on the couch, so every night now he whines to get up there to get his siesta on… :lazy2:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It's all in the name-Wally-GATOR!!!!!!!! wally.jpg

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
If it's any consolation we can't really walk Boeboe and Bennie at the same time either. They both want to be in front so the race is ON with occasional nagging the whole way:mellow:. Joey... she will walk for a while and then she decided it's not fun anymore and she'll lay down, usually in the middle of the road or some other highly inappropriate place:fie: That's why we have a stroller to put her in as I can't carry her @ss all the way back home:tongue:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online