erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
So...just to recap. Have had my now 13 week girl Betsy for 9 days. Came with uti, ear infection and giardia. Very apparent from the get go that she was kept in a small crate and ate, peed and slept there. Her uti should be clear because a few nights ago she slept 5 hours. The problem is that she does not whine or anything when she has to go and most of the time barely wakes up....just goes. We took the bedding out and she did better for a few nights(no accidents after 4.5 hours). The other night she peed in her crate with no bedding. I have been sleeping in another room as I do the 3am shift and do not want to be woken when my husband puts her to bed at 11. I came in this morning and she was in the bed. My poor sleep deprived husband said she had cried for two hours(he took her out again and she peed) so he put her in the bed. I think I am now screwed with her in my bed or her screaming and peeing in the crate. Since the c rate is not really a "housebreaking" aide for us maybe it does not matter if she is in the bed? I am going to get a rubber sheet today to put under her. During the day she is a normal pup that has to go out every 1-3 hours. She rarely has accidents because I am so well trained. I never take my boots or coat off until bed. Any thoughts? Anyone ever deal with this? I honestly don't think pee pads will work because I think she will not even get up to use them. She peed in her daytime crate(it is downstairs with the other crates) after 3.5 day hours but I had left the blanket in(my fault).

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Potty training is a constant issue w/bullies when they are young… you can have them fully trained, and then for some reason they completely regress and have to start the process ALL over again. I would take all bedding out of her crate until she stops the peeing, usually after a few sleepless nights they finally get used to the crate. A lot of people sleep w/their babies in their bed, I don't because of my allergies BUT don't feel bad if you decide too… Lol It's completely a personal choice, and she WILL become potty trained… it just takes time!!!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
At 13 weeks she probably can't hold it all night, I used to set an alarm and take ruckus out in the middle of the night until he was a but older. Also, my boyfriend had a no dog in the bed rule that he quickly recanted. They're just babies at that age and love their people so much. It's not for everyone, but Ruckus still sleeps in the bed with us...all 68 pounds of him. We crate trained him later and it all worked out. Try finding a high value/favorite treat and give it to her only when she potties outside, this will help her want to do it outdoors.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tracey and Jackie have you covered.... stay consistent and use a really yummy treat

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.