Bragging on Winnie (the devil dog)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
So, I promised to keep my 14 month old grandson George for 4 days which happened last weekend. I was really dreading it for a long time because of Winnie being such a biter. She has pretty much quit biting at 5 months. I was so proud of her that she didn't bite George one time!!
She gave him lots of kisses and was actually very gentle with him. She did get excited and would crowd him, but by the last couple of days I didn't even have to crate her. I tried to teach her to stay "back from the baby" and she finally got it and gave him a little room. George also learned the word "back."

I'm so happy. :yes: She has gone from a total biting machine, to a sweet gentle bully. I had my doubts that that would ever happen! Yay Winnie!
image.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yay for Winnie! You definitely should be very proud of her. Sounds like she and your grandson Georgie are on the road to becoming good buddies! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:bravo: she is a beauty

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
She's beautiful! I think they sense the little ones. My nephew was 14 months old last Christmas and the family came over to our house. I was afraid of he and Canelo meeting because Canelo had never been around such a little person. Canelo was curious of this little bald creature in the walker, was sitting by the couch when Nephew rolled up to him and they were checking each other out. Nephew reached out and grabbed Canelo's cheeks, Canelo ran off. Then about 30 minutes later Nephew had a cookie, rolled up to Canelo, they are looking at each other. Again and in a flash Nephew held the cookie out to Canelo, Canelo slowly and gently reached out and gently took the cookie. The whole room sucked wind, Canelo and Nephew look at us like what??? Just wait, she'll be his BFF every visit down the road now, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Winnie may have been slow at learning not to bite, but lesson well learned. That's a bullie! They truly are a gentle breed and great around children. Congratulations[emoji1].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Donnam

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Well, I wouldn't trust Winnie to do anything "slow and gentle" like Canelo taking the cookie the way she did. Canelo sounds like she is quite a bit calmer than Winnie. At least Winnie has shown some progress in being able to control herself. Like Winnie would never come up to anyone and just look at them. Her MO is to run full speed ahead and crowd in as close as possible. Although she doesn't bite or jump and knock the babies down, sometimes she scares them and they fall down, the perfect occasion for her to cover their faces with kisses. I have 3 grandsons who are all 14 months old, so I guess we have plenty of time to work on her. Any tips on how you got Canelo to be calm like that, or did she just come that way?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.