Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3: Hi Maranda, and welcome to EBN to you and Bentley. He is a sweetheart, and so cute. It's hard not to give in to such a cutie. You've been given great advice already, and if you are adamant that he's not going to sleep in your bed, then you have to be patient, persistent and consistent with him, because if you keep taking him out, then he will learn that whining, crying and barking will get him freedom. He will get used to his crate, and it may take a few days. Other things you can try are placing his crate in your bedroom beside your bed, so he knows you're close by, you can also try covering his crate with a blanket or towel, so he knows it's sleepy time. Sometimes it also helps to place a t-shirt or sweatshirt that you've worn in the crate with him, so he feels close to you. Just make sure until you know if he's a chewer or not, and keep an eye on him so that he doesn't shred or eat the shirt.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I totally agree with [MENTION=50]vicki[/MENTION]nggirl. We had Goob crate trained although he does not use his crate anymore.

The first thing I would do is decide for certain whether or not you want him in the bed with you. If you DON'T, then he will need to be crate trained at night. If you take him out when he cries, he knows that all he has to do is whine a little and he'll get out of there and get to sleep with you. If his crying is keeping you up...I would put his crate in another room OR if you want it in your room get some nice music and good ear plugs. If you DO want him to sleep with you, then he will learn that it is crate time when you leave for work.

Goob's crate was downstairs at my parent's house. He whined the first few days but we NEVER gave in...though sometimes it made ME cry to leave him in there. He got the idea that crate time=rest time. He loved his crate. Sometimes, he would go nap in there during the day even when we were home. It was his little nook. Goob never ate his bedding so we had blankets, pillows, toys, a lix-it bottle, and a pee pad in there with him (we had him on a pretty tight schedule). We had a sheet covering it and a little night light. So sweet.

Goob is NOW the only dog in the house (we moved out of my parent's house). He isn't destructive, is completely potty trained, and is totally trust worthy when he is alone. He no longer uses his crate and he sleeps in bed with us!!!! And we wouldn't have it any other way!

Let us know what you guys decide:).
IMAG0964.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I totally agree with [MENTION=50]vicki[/MENTION]nggirl. We had Goob crate trained although he does not use his crate anymore.

The first thing I would do is decide for certain whether or not you want him in the bed with you. If you DON'T, then he will need to be crate trained at night. If you take him out when he cries, he knows that all he has to do is whine a little and he'll get out of there and get to sleep with you. If his crying is keeping you up...I would put his crate in another room OR if you want it in your room get some nice music and good ear plugs. If you DO want him to sleep with you, then he will learn that it is crate time when you leave for work.

Goob's crate was downstairs at my parent's house. He whined the first few days but we NEVER gave in...though sometimes it made ME cry to leave him in there. He got the idea that crate time=rest time. He loved his crate. Sometimes, he would go nap in there during the day even when we were home. It was his little nook. Goob never ate his bedding so we had blankets, pillows, toys, a lix-it bottle, and a pee pad in there with him (we had him on a pretty tight schedule). We had a sheet covering it and a little night light. So sweet.

Goob is NOW the only dog in the house (we moved out of my parent's house). He isn't destructive, is completely potty trained, and is totally trust worthy when he is alone. He no longer uses his crate and he sleeps in bed with us!!!! And we wouldn't have it any other way!

Let us know what you guys decide:).
View attachment 80562

Agree! Great advice from all!

OP
Bentleysmom01

Bentleysmom01

Nov 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Captain Bentley
We let Bentley sleep with us last night and he ended up needing to potty before we planned taking him out[emoji15] . Not a huge deal we changed the sheets and didn't make a huge deal out of it. I took him out....loved on him and put him in his crate ( which is in our room near our bed) he whined for a few minutes then surprisingly went to sleep[emoji2] [emoji2] . I think we are heading down the right track now. His crate is set up like a small palace lol. We have not had any issues with him going potty in it yet *fingers crossed*

sent from my sexy Note 4

OP
Bentleysmom01

Bentleysmom01

Nov 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Captain Bentley
Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice!

sent from my sexy Note 4

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice!

sent from my sexy Note 4

Make sure to give his favorites treats only inside his crate so he will learn to love it! I used to freeze PB or yogurt inside her kongs and give to Izzy inside the crate but with the door open... so she thinks the crate is the best place in the world!!!!

OP
Bentleysmom01

Bentleysmom01

Nov 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Captain Bentley
We have been using his food as "treats".....we give him 3 or 4 pieces of kibble as a reward he loves it so far! I tried the wellness puppy treats but they made his bm a bit loose :(:(

sent from my sexy Note 4

OP
Bentleysmom01

Bentleysmom01

Nov 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Captain Bentley
I am very proud to report that we have been laying in bed for 45 min and our baby Bentley is sleeping peacefully in his crate a few feet away from our bed![emoji7] [emoji7] . We brought him in the room....had him walk in the crate....rewarded him with a few kibbles of food....turned on the "womb sounds" bear and told him good night. He fussed for a total of two seconds after we covered the crate but nothing after that.

Thank you to all of you guys that gave me advice through this new time. I am definitely here to stay and will be posting more pictures and questions![emoji2] [emoji2]

sent from my sexy Note 4

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
We also put June's crate next to the bed and I would reach down and put my hand in there when she would bark and whine. Only took a few days and she stopped :) Hopefully you have the same luck!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Sounds like you're doing a great job w/Bentley, Maranda! He's so dang cute...just want to give him lots of snuggles!

OP
Bentleysmom01

Bentleysmom01

Nov 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Captain Bentley
Thank you so much!!....he gives the best snuggles!

sent from my sexy Note 4

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I may go get an inexpensive small dog bed and put it in our bed while he is small....then move it to the floor as he gets bigger. I still want him to be ok with the crate though for when we have to leave the house.

sent from my sexy Note 4

We let Ruckus sleep in a dog bed on the floor...and then quickly upgraded him to bed privileges. He hated the crate at night so we waited and worked on crate time during the day. He roams free now that he is almost 2, but he is still ok with his crate if needed. He is a total snuggle bug at night. My boyfriend also was hesitant about the dog sleeping in the bed, but now he loves it.

Most Reactions