I really do not know what to do....articles say different things. HELP

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
oK...So it is apparent to me now that my breeder was no better then a puppy mill. Betsy has a double ear infection, giardia and a possible uti(we could not get a sample but with everything else going on the vet assumed it and put her on antibotics). She also thinks that the first place she should run is to her crate to potty(pee only so far). She also is terrified of being picked up(which I have to to get her outside at night because we are on the second floor) so she will submissive pee. Reaching into her crate to try to get her while she is sleeping at night makes things worse but I am trying to get to her BEFORE she wakes up because then it is too late.

I am feeding her in her crate, but that is her downstairs crate. During the day so far we have been ok. She goes out every hour or after eating, sleeping, play etc...I have left her twice for less than two hours and crate was clean.

Problem is the night. We decided we would take her out every few hours before she wakes up because once she is up(we are fast about boots and coats but the second the crate unlatches she pees.

So I put her on a dog bed next to my bed because I felt I could pick her up better for her if I did not have to reach in the crate. I put a rubber mat down on it with towels. I think the issue is that she pees without even getting up so at that point I did not take her out but took her out two hours later and then two hours after that. It is very cold and dark and the other dogs do not go out with us so she does not want to pee. one of the times I picked her (very gently) she still just peed on me so once again would I even take her out? I am wondering if I should try the pee sheets for now? so basically, she has already gone or she pees on me. Just need to know how to work with a dog that pees in her crate. I do not think she can go more than 3 hours at night

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry about your poor baby… sounds like she's had a rough start :( First of all be patient, she will come around… sounds like you are doing everything right. In this case, I would use the pee pads just to keep your house from getting destroyed. Be careful though, some pups will shred the pads and try to eat them. Once she starts using the pads you can slowly move them to the door… and then eventually outside. How long have you owned this baby? She sure seems to have a lot of issues all of the sudden...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rule of thumb is a puppy can only hold their bladder 1 hr. More than months old so if she is 10 was figure 3 hrs top. If she has a suspected UTI she is piddling more often, and that would be normal. Try the puppy pads till she is settled in and feeling better. Also, if she is not feeling well, in a new home, she may be a little scared which will lead to the piddle when you pick her up.

i am going to tag a few members with more puppy experience, as I have very little of that ;) I got my pups past this stage so I do not really have enough experience to say what would work best for you.

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
thanks! I need all of the help I can get. She is tough. I have had her four days. I can tell she is A LOT more comfortable in our house. I put one of those collars on her that are suppose to help her(like a diffuser). she is very social and outgoing now and loves my dogs. I can handle the day. that is normal puppy house breaking(as frustrating as it is). should I get pee pads and put them next to the rubber mat? I think I might have to leave her out of the crate at night now that she has slept out of it(or should I put her back in?) as of right now she has been on antibiotic for 48 hours. I tried having a treat in my hand when I gently pick her up but she does not want to take it so I thought maybe put a little peanut butter on my fingers for her to lick while I try to pick her up. should I set my alarm and take her out every few hours and if she has already gone should I just try for the next time? I change the blankets and spray with resolve cleaner but I did not do that in the middle of the night last night. personally, I am not sure it would matter to her.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
A possible UTI could explain the peeing, but still, small pups pee very often, so you seem to be doing the right thing taking her out often. Having her sleep close to your bed and not in the crate sounds good too, for her to be close to you and easy for you to pick her up.

One note on bed wetting - when Castor was a pup, he would sometimes pee in his sleep even after he was house trained. I was advised here on EBN to check whether he was sleeping in a draft; we moved his bed and closed some windows (this was late summer when we still had windows open during the night), and the bed wetting stopped from one day (or night, rather) to another.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Another thing to try is a play pen for her to sleep in for a little bit. That way you are not reaching into her sacred den and pulling her from it. I've heard many people say that their bulldogs are aggressive when you reach into their crates....instead they have to wait for them to come out on their own terms.
Since I've never had that problem...I'm wondering if putting them in a playpen while they are this young would be easier to reach down into the pen to pick them up vs reaching in.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

How a puppy starts off make a huge difference in how they transition to a new home. For full disclosure I am a breeder and also show my dogs.
Did you breeder start to crate train your puppy before you got her? Too many changes all at once are a combination for disaster. New home, new place, new dogs, new owner, and new crate? If your puppy was not crate trained, this is a BIG part of the problem. This will take time.
Sorry to hear about the ear infections and giradia. Don't worry too much about those, they are fairly common, but VERY easy to treat and clear up. Those will be done with in short order.
Like a toddler, manage the amount of water and time your puppy drinks water. I have a male that had bladder surgery and now has incontinence issues. So I take away all access to water by 6:00 pm and let him go out many times during the evening and he goes to bed around 10. When I am very diligent he has a 90%+ success rate of not peeing. Try limiting how much water she gets and it can cut down on how often she will need to pee. This only works at night.

Does she piddle during the day if she is sleeping and you wake her up to go outside? Or is it just at night or just in the crate? Try to narrow down the variables will help to isolate what the actual problem is and then easier to deal with.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
oK...So it is apparent to me now that my breeder was no better then a puppy mill. Betsy has a double ear infection, giardia and a possible uti(we could not get a sample but with everything else going on the vet assumed it and put her on antibotics). She also thinks that the first place she should run is to her crate to potty(pee only so far). She also is terrified of being picked up(which I have to to get her outside at night because we are on the second floor) so she will submissive pee. Reaching into her crate to try to get her while she is sleeping at night makes things worse but I am trying to get to her BEFORE she wakes up because then it is too late.

I am feeding her in her crate, but that is her downstairs crate. During the day so far we have been ok. She goes out every hour or after eating, sleeping, play etc...I have left her twice for less than two hours and crate was clean.

Problem is the night. We decided we would take her out every few hours before she wakes up because once she is up(we are fast about boots and coats but the second the crate unlatches she pees.

So I put her on a dog bed next to my bed because I felt I could pick her up better for her if I did not have to reach in the crate. I put a rubber mat down on it with towels. I think the issue is that she pees without even getting up so at that point I did not take her out but took her out two hours later and then two hours after that. It is very cold and dark and the other dogs do not go out with us so she does not want to pee. one of the times I picked her (very gently) she still just peed on me so once again would I even take her out? I am wondering if I should try the pee sheets for now? so basically, she has already gone or she pees on me. Just need to know how to work with a dog that pees in her crate. I do not think she can go more than 3 hours at night

Your sweet baby!
Our Ruthie is a puppy mill dog. She comes with a host of issues and we went through the whole training phase similar to yours. She's used to going in her crate. Give her some time, be patient. it took us MONTHS and MONTHS with Ruthie until she finally "got it".

maybe try taking her on a leash instead of picking her up.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.