never had a dog that peed in her crate before....

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
12 week old new puppy. has peed twice in her crate...once ran into just to pee and then peed in the middle of the night in it. Her crate has a divider in it to make it just her size. How do you housebreak a dog that goes in her crate?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
He's just confused right now. Patience, patience. And vigilance.

There are many reasons a dog pee's in his crate - either he can't hold it anymore and just has to go, or he has UTI so he can't hold it too long, or he is desensitized to the pee and just doesn't bother holding it at all, etc. It would be great if you can provide more info - how long he is in the crate, when do you cut-off feed/water before he goes to his crate, etc.

Now, going to his kennel to pee is him thinking, that's where I pee'd before (and it probably still smells like his pee), so I'm running back there to pee. This needs to be corrected by vigilance. But first, you'll need to clean out that crate with vinegar so the pee smell is thoroughly gone. Then, when he's out of his crate, you'll need to be watchful of where he is at all times - you could leash him to your waist so he is always with you if you like. When he looks like he needs to pee, take him out immediately. Also, take him out on a regular schedule even if he doesn't show signs of pee-ing. At 12 weeks, he should be able to hold his pee for 4 hours at a time... but every dog is different, so yours might take shorter periods.

Hope this helps.

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
I have been taking him out every hour, after play, sleep, eat and drink. For example....today I took him out and peed at 10:30. I put him in his crate and left for two hours and when I got home he had peed in his crate. I took him to the vet this morning and could not catch a pee sample but they started on antibiotic for uti just in case. I have crate smaller with a divider. I feed her in her crate. I clean it out with vinegar.....
praying it is a uti. she is extremely heavy for a 12 week pup. My vet said she is way over weight(she is twice the size of my other one at that age). I wonder if the weight presses on her bladder. I am also thinking the breeder kept her in a crate all of the time. Is there anything to do...otherwise even when I am gone a short time she is going to be in her pee

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Another option would be to put him in a bigger pen where you put a pee pad on one end and his doggie bed in the other end. It does seem like it's a medical condition.

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
twice she has run in her crate just to pee. I really think she was crated most of the day by the breeder and she peed all of the time in her crate. any thoughts on how to break this habit? I have been taking her out every hour. Tonight(so cold out) I stretched it to 90 minutes which was too long and she ran in her crate and peed. my fault...I should have taken her out after an hour.

bruce1

Nov 10, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
beef cake
I was having the same problem,I was even getting up in the wee hours of the night just to let my bully pee but he still did it in his crate,I think he was just getting use to the fact that it was ok peeing in his bed was ok!so I took his bedding away from him, right now and he has not peed in his crate anymore but I hate the fact he just sleeping on the plastic tray inside the crate.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.