Please stop the barking!!!

cmedeiros17

Nov 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatima
My husband and I just rescued a 5 yr old English Bulldog (we named her Fatima). She has quickly become a part of our family but we are facing several challenges with her. My husband had posted about her eating issues .....still working on it but we are making progress. The other HUGE issue is that she will not stop barking in her crate at night. During the day she is fine in it. At night for bed time- completely different story. I have tried ignoring her, but it goes on and on for hours and hours. We have tried bringing the crate in our bedroom and she still does it. Currently I have resorted to letting her sleep in our bedroom (on the floor on a nice comfy doggie bed). But she still keeps us up because she will get up and roam around the room so all I hear is her feet clacking around the floor. She will also bark....and I end up getting up to let her outside to relieve herself. We have started taking the water away sooner in the hopes that will help deter some of the middle of the night bathroom breaks. I am to afraid she will have an accident on the floor so don't want her in another part of the house (unless crated). She also will bark at us while we are eating our dinner. I can't put her outside because she will just sit and bark while throwing herself against the door. She gets exercised (walks in morning and evening). We play with her and give her love. We also believe she is deaf which makes training difficult.......any advice or ideas!!!! I need to be able to get some sleep!!!!

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Well, you could try this: We set a fan on the floor near the crate. We sleep with fans blowing on us....and so does Ruby. It does not always point at her....depends on the temperature.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This little gal sounds like she is a "sundowner". This is what happens with many people that have Alz. You say that she is deaf, this is probably part of the reason for her barking. maybe your vet can give something that will help her settle a little. She may feel very insecure and it make take time for her to settle in. Try to start using hand signals when you speak to her. [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] has trained her deaf dog and maybe she will have suggestions for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with Lynn (manydogs) she needs time to settle in and get comfortable, especially if you are right and she is deaf, it might take a little longer.

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I would probably first find out if she is deaf or not. You would then know as to what direction you should begin with in regards to learning how to talk to a deaf dog. As far as leaving her out and not wanting to have potty possibly in your bedroom if she should do that, I would try a room big enough to gate off so she at least has a bigger space to roam around and if she should go potty easy clean up. Maybe you could gate off an area big enough to allow her to roam that room for example, the kitchen area maybe. If she potties then you can at least know where it is and what room it is in also and begin by stopping her food and water at night as you had mentioned in your post. She probably is fine during the day because she sees you and at nighttime she doesn't see you at all due to it being dark. Maybe during the day you can put her cage in an area where she cannot see you and see how that works. Obviously that would be if this is how it happens for her during the daytime, I am assuming here trying to imagine why she would be barking. Did you find out if she was crated before from previous? She may have been left out all day everyday and this crate thing might be brand new to her. It's all about trial and error for me if I don't know the life of the dog prior . Do short incriminates with lots of praises for crating during the day where maybe she can't see you if that is the case which will also begin to prepare her for nighttime crating if that is the direction your going and possibly the case of what is going on here or the possibility of her not being able to see you at nighttime period. I start treating it like a puppy. Everything goes back to baby steps and first observing what she is doing and when or why. You figure out how you want it to go and be routine about it all, lots of praise for the simplest things as well. Being put in the crate for 5 mins with no barking and treat time and extend the time longer as she continues no barking but you have to start somewhere. She obviously doesn't like being away from all of you at nighttime :) My girl is almost 3 and I am extremely routine and it doesn't always go my way, she knows the rules and who is the alpha of our home and yet I am still trying with her in some areas. I am making small baby steps of progress but wow has it been difficult at times.

OP
C

cmedeiros17

Nov 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatima
LOL! NO Donnam - there is no way I am giving in to that!!!! Thank you Boo Boo Butts Mom. I think she just needs time and to adjust to an actual schedule. I think her previous owner let her do whatever she wanted. She does seem to be adjusting a bit more and is finally eating dog food YAY!

OP
C

cmedeiros17

Nov 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatima
Here is a picture of Fatima!

Attachments

• 10298686_10203784475147247_5229005723450012053_n.jpg
    10298686_10203784475147247_5229005723450012053_n.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 80

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
What a sweetie - patience patience and a little more patience. Good luck! :)
My female is a barker too and she will plant herself in front of the window just to bark as cars or people go by - yes it can be annoying and I have to spend much time redirecting her attention away from that window lol.

Good luck!

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
Oh I just seen Fatima's pic you posted and omg she is entirely to cute and that is her normal facial expression. How adorable. That is what gets me sucked in, the facial expressions they make or don't make and you think their making one lol'. Happy she is settling in somewhat for you. Love can be overwhelming when you never had it before.:whew:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I would talk to your vet and definitely get to the bottom of her possible hearing issue.

Also, have you tried giving some melatonin and/or Benadryl at night?

I think I would exhaust any medical possibilities before you begin training her at night. But if it comes to that - I have a bully who likes to bark at night as well but can't be trusted out of a crate. It takes time but we used a water bottle and squirted him until he stopped barking at night but that was after we were sure he was barking for attention and nothing more.

OP
C

cmedeiros17

Nov 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatima
She is settling in with us and her personality has started to come out. She is a great dog during the day, but night time is still awful. I've tried Benadryl....I honestly think that makes her more hyper??? I have tried Melatonin which does help.....but once it wears off she is back at it again. Last night I got woke up every hour on the hour. It was TERRIBLE. I am getting SO FRUSTRATED. We've even tried one of those "spray collars". That got returned real quick.The first few sprays startled her, but then she just kept on barking and ignored the spray lol. We are still not 100 % sure on her hearing. I think she does hear some thing, though maybe not completely. The vet did thinks she was deaf. But at home now that she has been with us a little while I am noticing that she does seem to hear at some level. Shestarted playing with toys- and we always make it a point to play with her before bed time to try and tire her out. THe vet doesn't want us exercising her too much because we are trying to get her to gain weight. We were walking her twice/day but the vet said to lay off. She is finally eating, though still finicky. But she does eat something at least every night. Takes her a while.....we usually put the bowl down and she "grazes" on it. The barking and roaming issue at night is really starting to wear me out. I am exhausted and stressed out because I'm not getting enough sleep. I have a small house so I can't really put her in another room where I wouldn't be able to hear her.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
puppies and adopted rescue dogs are like babies. Those who have one or some, or have had know exactly what that is. I have had kids, gkids and now a house of dogs. Yes, it is very stressful and takes time. Others have suggested to find out if she is deaf. Yes or no will depend on exactly what course of action to take.
Re-directing and positive reinforcement is the best method. Personally I am against using the spray bottles as punishment. If you do, then you won't be able to use when it is hot to help cool off your dog? Just my opinion.

Dogs bark for attention or insecurity. Both require a response but each are different. If the bark is for attention, re-direct and correct. Ignoring wont work since they can bark much longer than we can be patient. Correcting the unwanted behavior is about immediate, precise and consistent responses. Such as a quick verbal sound (watch Cesar Milan) and a touch to break the focus on what the dog wants to do. How many times do you have to correct? As many times as it takes and THAT will be the number of times needed. PRAISE for positive reward. Only if earned.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.