Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please stop the barking!!!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fatima
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Please stop the barking!!!

She is settling in with us and her personality has started to come out. She is a great dog during the day, but night time is still awful. I've tried Benadryl....I honestly think that makes her more hyper??? I have tried Melatonin which does help.....but once it wears off she is back at it again. Last night I got woke up every hour on the hour. It was TERRIBLE. I am getting SO FRUSTRATED. We've even tried one of those "spray collars". That got returned real quick.The first few sprays startled her, but then she just kept on barking and ignored the spray lol. We are still not 100 % sure on her hearing. I think she does hear some thing, though maybe not completely. The vet did thinks she was deaf. But at home now that she has been with us a little while I am noticing that she does seem to hear at some level. Shestarted playing with toys- and we always make it a point to play with her before bed time to try and tire her out. THe vet doesn't want us exercising her too much because we are trying to get her to gain weight. We were walking her twice/day but the vet said to lay off. She is finally eating, though still finicky. But she does eat something at least every night. Takes her a while.....we usually put the bowl down and she "grazes" on it. The barking and roaming issue at night is really starting to wear me out. I am exhausted and stressed out because I'm not getting enough sleep. I have a small house so I can't really put her in another room where I wouldn't be able to hear her.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,
    puppies and adopted rescue dogs are like babies. Those who have one or some, or have had know exactly what that is. I have had kids, gkids and now a house of dogs. Yes, it is very stressful and takes time. Others have suggested to find out if she is deaf. Yes or no will depend on exactly what course of action to take.
    Re-directing and positive reinforcement is the best method. Personally I am against using the spray bottles as punishment. If you do, then you won't be able to use when it is hot to help cool off your dog? Just my opinion.

Dogs bark for attention or insecurity. Both require a response but each are different. If the bark is for attention, re-direct and correct. Ignoring wont work since they can bark much longer than we can be patient. Correcting the unwanted behavior is about immediate, precise and consistent responses. Such as a quick verbal sound (watch Cesar Milan) and a touch to break the focus on what the dog wants to do. How many times do you have to correct? As many times as it takes and THAT will be the number of times needed. PRAISE for positive reward. Only if earned.
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbs W.C.
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cmedeiros17 View Post
    Here is a picture of Fatima!
    OMG, she's adorable!!!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fatima
    Likes (Received)

So basically a little update on Miss Fatima. She IS barking for attention little brat. And she hates being in the crate and will bark incessantly to get out. We have resorted to putting her dog bed in the crate at night and leaving the door open so she can come and go as wanted. This seems the only way to stop the barking I am wearing ear plugs to help cover the nails clicking/clacking on the floor. At least I am getting some sleep!! We also now know that she can hear. She loves squeaky toys. Her ears perk up at the sounds! Too cute. Apparently before she was just so stubborn and great at ignoring us.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cmedeiros17 View Post
    So basically a little update on Miss Fatima. She IS barking for attention little brat. And she hates being in the crate and will bark incessantly to get out. We have resorted to putting her dog bed in the crate at night and leaving the door open so she can come and go as wanted. This seems the only way to stop the barking I am wearing ear plugs to help cover the nails clicking/clacking on the floor. At least I am getting some sleep!! We also now know that she can hear. She loves squeaky toys. Her ears perk up at the sounds! Too cute. Apparently before she was just so stubborn and great at ignoring us.
    They are brutal that this stage.... keep on her
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Update,
    Yes, crate training an older dog takes MUCH more time than when a puppy. An older dog has learned the "freedom" associated from not being in a crate and get upset when that freedom is taken away. You are on the right track of allowing her to go into and out of the crate as she wants too. This way she does not see it as a punishment. You can continue this process and "put" her in the crate, close the door, give LOTS, Lots, LOTS of praise....and then let her out quickly before she gets upset or starts to bark. Continue this process and increase the amount of time.

Also continue to "ignore" any barking that she does for attention. Easier in the day time than at night, yes.

Good Training~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads