help with potty training

Jaime Jimmy Ramirez

Oct 1, 2014
boston, mass
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
Hazel is 4 months now great dog.. I'm having a little problem potty training I want her to do her business outside.. This is my schedule I have wake up 645am she in her crate took her outside she poop right away gave her a treat notice she didn't pee went back inside found pee in her blanket feed her put her in the crate went to work came home about 2 hrs later found poop inside crate. Am I doing something wrong? Any tips ideas?? Thanks

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It honestly depends on the bully… I have trained 3 bulldogs, and Wally has been the easiest to potty train. I tried to take them out at least every couple of hours, and immediately after eating or playtime. Some dogs can hold it longer than others, just make sure he's w/you constantly and look for signs of sniffing, circling, etc…

Puppy pads do work for some people, but my pups just destroyed them… Lol

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] said, some get it sooner that others. Just keep doing what you are doing, and eventually she will get it. Usually they don't like going in their crates, so she should stop that too. She is still young so it will take a little while, just be patient.

mikesbandit

Feb 21, 2014
I have found you just have to take them out continuously for the first few months. How big is the crate? Do you stay out with her when she is doing her business? Sometimes, dogs can get a little nervous being outside alone and are distracted by all of the sounds and smells.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
our schedules seem similar. Wake up 1st thing @6:15 will take harvey out to the yard, i have cue word keep using good boy, then he associates that with his business. You have to stay with him during the entire time. Will do his business and then pee. Will go back inside. Will feed him his 1st meal. After 10-15 minutes will lead him out again. That is how I start his morning. Just what mikesbandit mentioned, you have to stay with then. My dog will wait patiently by the door if i go in without him.

OP
Jaime Jimmy Ramirez

Jaime Jimmy Ramirez

Oct 1, 2014
boston, mass
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
She pee and poops outside most of time she poop and pee in the am! I have her eat but need to go to work should I have her eat before we go out? And today I came home and found poop and pee in the crate. Was so gross hopefully she learns

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I train all my puppies using puppy litter. For years now that is all I have used.

T

tomjerri72

I rescued a bulldog 7-14 and her name is Lillie. She is a 4 yr old sweetie. They told me that if I gave her water after 8 at night she would pee her bed. Well she pees the bed at all times day and night. I take her out she comes in goes to her bed and pees. she stays out for hours comes in a pees her bed. I am at the end of what i know about potty training any ideas.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Here is my routine. We are back at it right now with the addition of Tyson two weeks ago...jeeze seems like we have had him longer. Tyson is now 12 weeks old. The training is a bit exhausting when they are this young because they really can't hold very long. Add in playing or right after a meal and you are definitely in for it. Just remember the rule of thumb is normally holding one hour per month old. With Tyson I get up at 5:30 am and take him immediately outside. He take his long pee. We go inside and he gets his breakfast and water. Once his chunkiness is done and he gives me his fat boy burp I usually take him back out, roughly about 5 or so minutes. He will again go pee and then maybe a minute or two later start his sniff, circle, sniff and then squat and poo. All praises given and then we are back inside. I do have two pee pads down in the house in case I get distracted and he has to go seeing as he doesn't understand to come get me when he has to go. I will give him a walk again about 7:00 am before I leave. Hubby walks him about 8:00 am and then he is crated. I do have a pee pad in there just in case. Nothing like having them pee in the crate and lay in it. My son get's home about 2:45 pm and he walks him immediately. I tell my son to take him out every 30 minutes or so. He really just has to associate that you can't pee inside. I get home about 6:30 pm and he knows once he sees me that it's time to go potty. He goes out and pees and then it's back inside for his dinner. He has been on antibiotics since he has Kennel cough so he is drinking a lot of water. Normally I will pick up all water by about 8:00 pm so we can try to work out all a lot of the water before bed. I do keep walking every 30 or so and I also keep asking him if he has to go potty. Very draining but it's about making that association of where he has to go and how to let me know he has to go. I usually will give them one walk before I get into bed; time will vary on that depending on what I am up to. I know I hear him fidgeting a bit at 3:00 am so I get up and we go pee pee quick and come back and hit the bed. Then it starts all over again at 5:30 am.

I am exhausted right now but this tends to work to get them going. You have to make sure to feed on a good schedule where you allot time to make sure they get at least two potty breaks before you leave so you can get the poo out and not come home to a dirty crate. At most we may get a little pee on the pad but we are not getting poo anymore. There is nothing worse than having to come home and bathe a puppy every day because he/she rolled around in their poo. Good luck!!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I rescued a bulldog 7-14 and her name is Lillie. She is a 4 yr old sweetie. They told me that if I gave her water after 8 at night she would pee her bed. Well she pees the bed at all times day and night. I take her out she comes in goes to her bed and pees. she stays out for hours comes in a pees her bed. I am at the end of what i know about potty training any ideas.

May I suggest for now you remove all bedding. For some reason once they get into the habit of peeing on their bedding they will keep doing it. I also feel like no matter how much you wash their bedding you don't get all the smells out. Just for a bit, until she knows that her crate is a no potty zone I suggest you remove her bedding. Not sure what her background is but if she was kept as a breeder she may only know that she has to do everything in her crate. You are literally retraining her. Although she is 4 years old you have to go back to the basics with her and just pretend she is a puppy. Good luck. It's a bit of work but these guys are worth every bit of sleep deprivation and extra cleaning. They really are a special breed.

T

tomjerri72

thank you for that. I have taken all bedding away and she is not in a crate because, it did stay wet. I got her new bedding and just put it on the floor. We were playing and she just walked over and peed. I treated her like a puppy and sent her outside and let her stay out for a while and brought her back in.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thank you for that. I have taken all bedding away and she is not in a crate because, it did stay wet. I got her new bedding and just put it on the floor. We were playing and she just walked over and peed. I treated her like a puppy and sent her outside and let her stay out for a while and brought her back in.

Go outside with her and work the key words you want to use with her to potty train. She may just be going out there and amusing herself and then when you let her in she will go right back to the bedding and pee. Do you happen to know any of her back history?

T

tomjerri72

she did go out a few times to just look at the grass and want to come in. I started putting a leash on her and walking her and when she went pee I would give her her treat. Now we want to go out sit and sit and sit then when we get tired of that we still want the treat when we come in... Its all a game. I don't know much about her background, she has had puppies and her vet has checked her for uti. I will keep doing what I am doing maybe she will come around.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
As usual lots of advice here. This is what is so great about this community, people from ALL over have similar situations that can be helpful for problems.
Potty training and re-training is one of the hardest and longest process for some dogs. As said, all dogs are different and while what works for one might not work for another.
Taking away bedding is a good idea for now. The fact that your dog will go over and pee on the pad is a great start ! keep moving the pad close to the door and slowly work towards outside. You didn't mention if you have another dog or not. If this is your only dog, then yes, staying outside with your dog to watch for when Hazel does her biz will allow you to extremely praise for positive reinforcement. It might take 5 minutes or 20 minutes. Don't rush. Don't stare at her, but rather just look around in a general direction so you can use peripheral vision to spot when she does it. Some dogs are "shy" and won't go if you watch them. I walk around and just look at the trees or other areas while potty training.
I would also suggest, as others, that after you feed, allow many other opportunities to do biz outside. Consider us, some go quicker, others take longer...
Things will work out, be patient and DO NOT show anger or upset if you see a mess or have to clean up a mess. They know...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online